Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Al Gore, Useless Idiot

This one seemed to magically escape everyone's attention.

The would-be leader of the free world circa 2000 recently flipped the bird to African-Americans by brashly proclaiming Iraq as our "worst strategic mistake in 200 years":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iAUIoCNYv...elated&search=

So, apparently, traveling to Africa and buying slaves was either no big deal, or it wasn't a strategic mistake. Or perhaps he's been talking to Kerry a bit too much. Maybe he's been reading the rantings of FTL on the internet he invented. Or it could be that he's high on the fumes from the jet that he flies all over the world, preaching ecological sensitivity, and bouncing between the four homes he owns yet for which he refuses to buy the renewable forms of energy made available to each of them.

Al Gore, you can suck my dick.

Last edited by Qubes; 12-10-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
The only one it bothers is you. Who gives a shit?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 09:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Really. If you asked anyone what our worst strategic mistake was in the last 200 years, I bet most would say "Iraq".

Also, QBNC, I thought you were smarter than that: purchasing slaves isn't a "strategy". It would be more along the line of Lee's decision to invade Pennsylvania, or LBJ's decision to invade Vietnam. Iraq has got to be right up there. If it results in destabilzing the entire Middle East, cutting off our oil supply and sending us into depression, Mr. Gore is going to be even more than right. I also bet 70% of the people in this country would say they wished Gore had won.

I heard the saddest statistic I've ever heard on this war on NPR today - we have now spent as much in Iraq reconstruction as we did in Germany in constant dollars. We have absolutely nothing to show for. That, my friends, is a hell of a mistake.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 12-10-2006 at 09:48 PM.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Also, QBNC, I thought you were smarter than that: purchasing slaves isn't a "strategy". It would be more along the line of Lee's decision to invade Pennsylvania, or LBJ's decision to invade Vietnam.
First of all, memories are short in elevated political circles.

Secondly, I don't think that sailing rickety ships without any reliable technology across the Atlantic to Africa back and forth merely for 'cheap labor', or 'fun & thrills' would accurately characterize the roughly 225 year strategy of dealing in humans as commodities.

Semantics I suppose. It's fortunate that memories of Vietnam are so long forgotten, and that our history of strategic planning and execution over the past 200 years are so exceptionally without flaw that the situation in Iraq is found to be equally without precedent.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Semantics? Ignorance is a better word.

Vietnam had less far reaching effects on us than Iraq has the potential for having. We walked out of Nam, big shit, nothing happened. In Iraq, we run the risk of wrecking our economy and allowing the rise of a suicide-bomber nation with nukes. Now THATS a fucking mistake in a STRATEGIC sense.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
A little touchy there aren't you? By the way, when was it part of the US foriegn policy to engage in slave trading? I always thought that was something that started before the Declaration of Independence, and I don't ever recall reading that Congress voted to invoke slave trading as part of the US foreign policy. I may have missed it, but I thought the slave trade was abolished in some New England states in the 1780 time frame (1774 for Rhode Island, as I recall, with the British overturning the Virginia ruling to abolish importing slaves at about the same time), while it took until 1865 for the practice of enslaving anyone in the United States to be abolished by Amendment to the Constitution. In fact, I believe the early 1820's was about the time when slave trading, meaning imprisoning and shipping people from Africa to the US for the purpose of selling them into slavery, was made illegal in the US by the federal government.

So, technically and by the intent of the American people at the time, as reflected in the laws passed by coloinies or, after the Revolutionary War, the individual States, trading in slaves was, in fact either on the way out, or entirely forbidden in most of the US, and it was never a condoned federal activity of the United States. Sounds like Gore was correct. Jim
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
A little touchy there aren't you? By the way, when was it part of the US foriegn policy to engage in slave trading? ...
Read the Constitution.

Bot
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GORE IN '08
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerW140
GORE IN '08
Gore is better than most of the Republicrat candidates.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Gore is better than most of the Republicrat candidates.
Agreed, especially the Democrat " Limousine liberals " and anything the Republicans have dished up so far....

[I]a ver, vamos a ver[I]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in