post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
I nearly bought a 107 a few years back, from a 'friend of a friend'. It was very presentable, both body work and interior and the guy lent it to me for the weekend to 'get to know it'. By the end of the Friday night I had fallen in love, so on the Saturday morning I took it to a friend who owned at M.O.T. test centre. Underneath it was full of rot in both structural and non structural areas-a disaster.
So any potential buyers who live in areas where roads are sallted-'caveat emptor'.
I've never seen one driven on salted roads that was worth a shit. I bought mine in Arizona, and that is the way to do it. California and other western states in the US are the best place to buy one to restore.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
There are two ways to approach it: go to the big expense to convert it to double chain or replace the single chain frequently. The problem with leaving the original in there is two fold, not only is the single chain a design flaw, the guides are supposed to be shitty too.

Big shit if the engine blows up anyway. There are all kinds of sedan drive trains that will swap into the 107 and you'd be surprised how easy it is. I'm looking for 500SEC or something similiar right now for a possible swap some day when the drivetrain peters out. If you can get ahold of any 107 that has a nice interior and body cheap, buy it. Current value of that car is about $5800 give or take, mostly take.
I hadn't even considered that. I saw an advert for a 380 with a blown engine in which the seller is asking about a grand and claims the rest of the car is in good condition. What's a 560 engine run, a couple grand? Does they all use the same transmission or is a new tranny part of the swap?

I guess I should cruse over to the M-B people who talk about cars.

Bot

PS And FTL, you mailbox is full. No joy on that other issue. Folks who code in our shop (two) use C++.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

If you buy a rebuilt engine/tranny, it costs about $6500 to $8500 over the web depending on the engine. You can do a Google on rebuilt mercedes engines and you will get back all kinds of remanufacturers, many of whom have impeccable crediantials for high quality work that you can get feedback for on these forums, but the cheapest way to do it , IMO, is to by a donor car. You can buy old Merc tanks all day for three grand that have great drive trains, and they come with all the parts you need and many that can be adapted. It's also a hell of a lot easier to find a 350 or 500 sedan than it is to find a 350SL or 500SL, so you can build a hell of a car if you find the right donor. Despite the 560's reputation, either one of those will blow the doors off that pig.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to myfirstbenz Send a message via MSN to myfirstbenz
Having worked in a small indie MB shop in HS I have driven a number of different types of 107's, but the bigger the engine, the more nose heavy it tends to get. I really like the sl 280's since they feel so much lighter and just as quick as a 380sl. If you want a good combo, put a m119 4.2l v8 in that puppy. All aluminum engine with tons-o-power thanks to 32 valves. The m119 is about 1500-3000 for a good used example. One of my favorite MB engines. M100's are heavy beasts.

::Familie von Mercedes::
'00 German Sheperd ("Hans")
'89 300 TE 117k
'92 400E (killed in action)
'68 280 SE/8 (High School Sweetheart)
'95 E320 (mother's)
'60 190D (dad's new project)
'05 A6 Allroad 2.7t (dad's ride)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I'd love to do a 4.2 but the 500 is such a legend. The 280 is really the best engine for this car if you don't need to be big on the gas pedal. It has thirty more horse than the 380, is a very,very mature design and is great on gas. I'd probably be better off if I did a five-speed conversion on mine instead of a drive train change out, but my mechanic says it is easier to swap in a 500 auto than it is to put in a manual tranny in a car that was originally automatic.

You also bring up an important fact - the 560 engine is hard on the front end of SL's. Just about every used one I've ever seen needed a ton of front end work.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 12-09-2006 at 07:35 PM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You also bring up an important fact - the 560 engine is hard on the front end of SL's. Just about every used one I've ever seen needed a ton of front end work.
Thread after thread on every forum about subframe bushings.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

They go out every 40,000 miles, dirty little secret of SLs. Control arm bushings also wear too fast. Shocks oddly enough last forever.

After that it is fuel system components, relays, pumps, etc.

On the 560s all that luxury stuff never works. I'll take my 280 with rollup windows any day.

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

This subject is currently being discussed on the SL, FYI for anyone interested:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...r-into-sl.html

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This subject is currently being discussed on the SL, FYI for anyone interested:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...r-into-sl.html
Don't I wish :-)

Iwould drool too much -

They still go for 17 to 20 k up here
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I read that thread. All they did was talk about cars. What kind of forum is that, anyway?

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in