Ahmadinejad Issues Warning to European Allies on Sanctions - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl
Come on Jim. Chamberlain eat your heart out. Perhaps if we let him annex the Sudetenland (southern Iraq) he will leave us alone? 'Please don't hurt us'.
I find it hard to believe anyone thinks we just got our n's mixed up with our q's, and Ahmandinejad's letter to Bush cleared that all up. Now that we have that straight, we should go ahead and attack Iran.

We have zero credibility in our assessments of threats from the Middle East outside the White House right now, and anything that gets started in Iran will have serious international repercussions for some time to come. If we don't want to end up on the outs with everyone else in the world, we had better invest the effort to understand and characterize this threat to a "t" before we go off alone again. Mooning Ahmadinejad in response to overtures, no matter how silly or kooky or crazy you think they might be, helps Ahmadinejad's case on the world stage, not ours. We are very predictable - we dictate and go batshit when those we dictate to don't cower and comply. We, for some reason, think we know best for everyone, and they had better not question us, or else....

Do that predictably for a while and you become the world's asshole, the imperialist tyrant, and whatever you might really be gets lost in the daily news of the shithole in Iraq, for example.

I would ask the same questions again - what is the urgency to use force? When was the last time we tried anything else in earnest? Right. Jim
JimSmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I find it hard to believe anyone thinks we just got our n's mixed up with our q's, and Ahmandinejad's letter to Bush cleared that all up. Now that we have that straight, we should go ahead and attack Iran.

We have zero credibility in our assessments of threats from the Middle East outside the White House right now, and anything that gets started in Iran will have serious international repercussions for some time to come. If we don't want to end up on the outs with everyone else in the world, we had better invest the effort to understand and characterize this threat to a "t" before we go off alone again. Mooning Ahmadinejad in response to overtures, no matter how silly or kooky or crazy you think they might be, helps Ahmadinejad's case on the world stage, not ours. We are very predictable - we dictate and go batshit when those we dictate to don't cower and comply. We, for some reason, think we know best for everyone, and they had better not question us, or else....

Do that predictably for a while and you become the world's asshole, the imperialist tyrant, and whatever you might really be gets lost in the daily news of the shithole in Iraq, for example.

I would ask the same questions again - what is the urgency to use force? When was the last time we tried anything else in earnest? Right. Jim
No matter how silly or kookie? No matter?

Bot
Botnst is offline  
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
No matter how silly or kookie? No matter?

Bot
In case it isn't apparent to you yet, our perception of other cultures' kookieness isn't always shared by the rest of the world. So, you may think the ruler of Iran is just kookie. I think he is doing his thing, manipulating your, my, and everyone else's opinion of him to his advantage. While we sit back on our fat asses and point, exclaiming pearls of wisdom like "he's a kook!" which does little more than reinforce is standing with the rest of the world, he has now given the appearance of extending the olive branch to us, and we haughtily proclaim his intentions are evil as we slam the door on him, reinforcing his description of us as imperialist dictators to the rest of the world.

Yeah, unless you are going A-bomb him into extinction with all his brothers and sisters of like mind, you extend yourself to talk and negotiate and learn and find a different way to win. Ignoring and mooning him have been shown to be less than ideally effective. Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 12-07-2006 at 04:16 PM.
JimSmith is offline  
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
In case it isn't apparent to you yet, our perception of other cultures' kookieness isn't always shared by the rest of the world. So, you may think the ruler of Iran is just kookie. I think he is doing his thing, manipulating your, my, and everyone else's opinion of him to his advantage. While we sit back on our fat asses and point, exclaiming pearls of wisdom like "he's a kook!" which does little more than reinforce is standing with the rest of the world, he has now given the appearance of extending the olive branch to us, and we haughtily proclaim his intentions are evil as we slam the door on him, reinforcing his description of us as imperialist dictators to the rest of the world.

Yeah, unless you are going A-bomb him into extinction with all his brothers and sisters of like mind, you extend yourself to talk and negotiate and learn and find a different way to win. Ignoring and mooning him have been shown to be less than ideally effective. Jim
Jim trying to put some sense into Bot, I say it's useless, he already knows everything about everything. When I think about it I should not blame Bot because he is a victim of his environment. It's very difficult for some people to think independently from the accepted line as sold by the "approved channels".
DP is offline  
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:39 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
In case it isn't apparent to you yet, our perception of other cultures' kookieness isn't always shared by the rest of the world. So, you may think the ruler of Iran is just kookie. I think he is doing his thing, manipulating your, my, and everyone else's opinion of him to his advantage. While we sit back on our fat asses and point, exclaiming pearls of wisdom like "he's a kook!" which does little more than reinforce is standing with the rest of the world, he has now given the appearance of extending the olive branch to us, and we haughtily proclaim his intentions are evil as we slam the door on him, reinforcing his description of us as imperialist dictators to the rest of the world.

Yeah, unless you are going A-bomb him into extinction with all his brothers and sisters of like mind, you extend yourself to talk and negotiate and learn and find a different way to win. Ignoring and mooning him have been shown to be less than ideally effective. Jim
You cannot 'negotiate and learn and find a different way to win' with Jihadis. These guys are not Soviets who at least had a sense of self-preservation. You are projecting your own personal reasonableness and rationality where it does not apply. Have you consider that possibility?
jjl is offline  
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:57 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Since when Syria has become a "jihadi" state jjl?
DP is offline  
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wtf?

JFC, what happened to jjl? I don't remember all the Kultur Kampf doomsday histrionics and paranoia, which is more typically associated with Merkin Christo-fascists and NeoCon dreamweavers.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:05 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
JFC, what happened to jjl? I don't remember all the Kultur Kampf doomsday histrionics and paranoia, which is more typically associated with Merkin Christo-fascists and NeoCon dreamweavers.
His been attending The Botnst International Diplomacy School
DP is offline  
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
If you cannot address argument through knowledge and reason, argue through guilt by association. How stalinist of you all.

Bot
Botnst is offline  
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
If you cannot address argument through knowledge and reason, argue through guilt by association. How stalinist of you all.

Bot
Sorry did not mean to hurt your feelings
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Ahmadinejad Predicts Collapse of Israel, U.S., U.K. Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 12 11-28-2006 05:34 AM
    Iran Sanctions Could Drive Oil Past $100 firstmb Off-Topic 12 01-25-2006 11:16 AM
    Will the United States and her Allies invade Iran ? Saigon76nyc Off-Topic 16 12-08-2005 05:30 AM
    Two U.S. Allies Leaving Iraq, More May Go Demon_possessed Off-Topic 4 12-02-2005 10:32 AM
    Braking/suspension issues? Electical issues in my 2001 C-240 wilhasl W203 C-Class 4 09-15-2005 06:11 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome