"We've gotten beyond questioning the science on this," - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
You didn't answer my questions, did you?

Where does the money come from to pay these a-political scientists?

You are naive, aren't you.

By the way, you are confusing the question of Global Warming and the question of mankind's influence on said change.

Common strawman argument. Of course the climate is changing.


In other words, they gots ta git PAID.
The money for many scientists comes from government grants from the different countries. Other money comes from either blind trusts or grants.

And as for Naive, I don't think so. I have been in both government research and business research for nearly 30 years at middle and upper management level and have a very good grasp how the world works. As a Systems Architect you deal with EVERY level of a project from nuts and bolts to funding and as Systems Management in the Air Force, you have similar responsibilities. So naive, NO.

And to correct you, no, I am not confusing Global Warming and man's contribution to it. I am very clear on both the separation AND the interwoven elements.

You really need to learn the definition of Strawman Argument. You are using it incorrectly.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
That link of yours is very old. Since then, computer mock-ups have demonstrated the process, the average interval between flips, and the duration of flip completion very convincingly (we're long overdue, BTW, and apparently in mid-flip right now). There has also been convincing geologic evidence to indicate that one or more flips can occur within a single human lifetime. The process is generally much more rapid than your link indicates.
More update links:

Excellent program: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/

http://www.phy6.org/earthmag/demagint.htm

My point...there are MASSIVELY significant natural processes that we don't understand and have no control over that affect climate.

My SUV is not one of them.

Super volcanoes are:

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...r_volcano.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera
DaveN007 is offline  
post #33 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear

You really need to learn the definition of Strawman Argument. You are using it incorrectly.
Sorry. Wrong again.

Argument:

"Everyone agrees that global warming is happening except for Rush Limbaugh and his lemmings."

This is a classic misrepresentation of an opponents position.

The definition of a Straw Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Scientists pimp for funding. Studying climate change is a boondoggle.
DaveN007 is offline  
post #34 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
That is complete bullshit.

You have no evdience you can point to, because there isn't any.

Yet you believe.

Just don't pretend that you are relying upon science.

This is part of your religion.
I am not sure exactly where you get your info but you need to broaden your reading.

ONLY the world scientific body has been pointing to the triggers that man contributes to and hastens and that the Earth is not able to absorb. Lake Erie was a good example. CO2 output another. Sulfur, mercury, particulates that spew in the air that cannot be absorbed. Look at the trees on the side of the interstate the next time you drive by. Note the BROWN ones That is nature unable to absorb pollutants in the air. Note the shrubs next to the drive thru at your favorite fast food restaurant. See the discoloration. Pollution. The Earth can’t absorb it quick enough.

Before you call something bullshit, you really need to get a clue. Right now, you don’t have one.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #35 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
To the tune of AC/DC "Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution"

"CO2 ain't air pollution,
CO2 makes plants survive."
DaveN007 is offline  
post #36 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
My point...there are MASSIVELY significant natural processes that we don't understand and have no control over that affect climate.
Of that there is no doubt. You just happened to pick one that is understood better then most.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #37 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
Sorry. Wrong again.

Argument:

"Everyone agrees that global warming is happening except for Rush Limbaugh and his lemmings."

This is a classic misrepresentation of an opponents position.

The definition of a Straw Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Scientists pimp for funding. Studying climate change is a boondoggle.
Please, go out to your link, READ the definition of Strawman Argument and get back to me. At no point did I build a contrarian argument to be torn down. My comment that everyone agrees that global warming is happening except for Rush and his lemmings is not a strawman. It was a comment in the middle of my comments. A strawman would have made it the basis of the argument, hence the name.

Again READ the definition and try again.

And yes, Scientists pimp for funding, more so in the US than in other countries which is where, interestingly much of the Global Warming research is coming from. They have little industry to pressure the research to stop.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #38 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Before you call something bullshit, you really need to get a clue. Right now, you don’t have one.
My position:

Man does not have a signifcant impact upon THE GLOBAL CLIMATE when compared with a myriad of natural, uncontrollable factors. Therefore the policies deemed necesary to counteract man's impact are not worth the cost.

Your position:

I am clueless.

Fair enough. It is what I have come to expect here.

FTL: I am a stooge.

McBear: I am clueless.
DaveN007 is offline  
post #39 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
To the tune of AC/DC "Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution"

"CO2 ain't air pollution,
CO2 makes plants survive."
And what happens when there is too much to absorb?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #40 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
My position:

Man does not have a signifcant impact upon THE GLOBAL CLIMATE when compared with a myriad of natural, uncontrollable factors. Therefore the policies deemed necesary to counteract man's impact are not worth the cost.

Your position:

I am clueless.

Fair enough. It is what I have come to expect here.

FTL: I am a stooge.

McBear: I am clueless.
babe, you are the one that flagged bullshit. not me. And your position, which I have not actually seen phrased prior, is not accurate. EDIT: or at least I disagree with it strongly.

You suggest: If you have several factors that are contributing to a problem, your logic suggests that, because the factors that you CAN control are not as large as the one's you can't then screw it.

My position is that you do what you can. If we make a mess, we should be responsible to clean it up. Right now [2006] your position MIGHT make economic sense. In 2056, there might be some really pissed off people wondering why we did not clean up our mess when it only cost X.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 11-30-2006 at 02:59 PM.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    "Yakuza" Sato's AMG Mercedes from "Black Rain" (starring Michael Douglas&Andy Garcia) JJB236 W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 23 10-05-2009 01:19 PM
    RNC Chairman Mehlman next to get the boot, "resigns" (aka "gets fired too") FeelTheLove Off-Topic 0 11-09-2006 10:10 PM
    500 SEC "brake bushings" & "castor supports" Graham W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 5 08-26-2003 01:14 PM
    TIRES WANTED!! 265/30/19 "rear" 235/35/19 "front" bigjx76 W203 C-Class 0 08-05-2003 06:14 PM
    DREW - - On some posts your system puts a " " (space) in Message to kill the "NT" Jüri. W163 M-Class 3 08-07-2002 06:28 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome