Venezuela Election - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Not when I was last there (in '71 or '72). Whoa.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Chavez to shut down opposition TV
Hugo Chavez gives a speech at Fuerte Tiuna in Caracas, 28 December
The move has been called a grave violation of freedom of expression
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said he will not renew the licence for the country's second largest TV channel which he says expires in March 2007.

In an address to troops, Mr Chavez said he would not tolerate media outlets working towards a coup against him.

Radio Caracas Television, which is aligned with the opposition, supported a strike against Mr Chavez in 2003.

But the TV's head said there must be some mistake as its licence was not up for renewal in the near future.

Marcel Granier also vowed to fight against the president's plans in Venezuela's courts and on the international stage.

The BBC's Greg Morsbach in Caracas says Mr Chavez has repeatedly threatened to take the TV off the air but has never given a date.

There will be no new operating licence for this coupist TV channel - the measure has been drafted so go turn off the equipment
Hugo Chavez

The move could help silence some of his critics in the media who have been a thorn in his side for several years, he says.

Mr Chavez, who was returned to power by a wide margin on 3 December, said Mr Granier was mistaken in believing "that concession is eternal".

"It runs out in March. So it's better that you go and prepare your suitcase and look around for what you're going to do in March," he said during a televised speech to soldiers at a military academy in Caracas.

"There will be no new operating licence for this coupist TV channel called RCTV. The operating licence is over... So go and turn off the equipment," Mr Chavez said.

'Violation of freedom'

Mr Chavez said the channel was "at the service of coups against the people, against the nation, against national independence, against the dignity of the republic".

The channel is among a number of private TV and radio networks that in recent years have strongly criticized Mr Chavez' government and favoured the opposition.

Many media outlets, including RCTV, supported a bungled coup in 2002 and a devastating general strike in 2003 that failed to unseat the president.

The press freedom campaign group, Reporters Without Borders, said the proposed move would be a grave violation of freedom of expression in Venezuela.

RCTV is one of the country's oldest channels and began broadcasting in 1953.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

All you Chavistas are awfully quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Chavez to shut down opposition TV
Hugo Chavez gives a speech at Fuerte Tiuna in Caracas, 28 December
The move has been called a grave violation of freedom of expression
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said he will not renew the licence for the country's second largest TV channel which he says expires in March 2007.

In an address to troops, Mr Chavez said he would not tolerate media outlets working towards a coup against him.

Radio Caracas Television, which is aligned with the opposition, supported a strike against Mr Chavez in 2003.

But the TV's head said there must be some mistake as its licence was not up for renewal in the near future.

Marcel Granier also vowed to fight against the president's plans in Venezuela's courts and on the international stage.

The BBC's Greg Morsbach in Caracas says Mr Chavez has repeatedly threatened to take the TV off the air but has never given a date.

There will be no new operating licence for this coupist TV channel - the measure has been drafted so go turn off the equipment
Hugo Chavez

The move could help silence some of his critics in the media who have been a thorn in his side for several years, he says.

Mr Chavez, who was returned to power by a wide margin on 3 December, said Mr Granier was mistaken in believing "that concession is eternal".

"It runs out in March. So it's better that you go and prepare your suitcase and look around for what you're going to do in March," he said during a televised speech to soldiers at a military academy in Caracas.

"There will be no new operating licence for this coupist TV channel called RCTV. The operating licence is over... So go and turn off the equipment," Mr Chavez said.

'Violation of freedom'

Mr Chavez said the channel was "at the service of coups against the people, against the nation, against national independence, against the dignity of the republic".

The channel is among a number of private TV and radio networks that in recent years have strongly criticized Mr Chavez' government and favoured the opposition.

Many media outlets, including RCTV, supported a bungled coup in 2002 and a devastating general strike in 2003 that failed to unseat the president.

The press freedom campaign group, Reporters Without Borders, said the proposed move would be a grave violation of freedom of expression in Venezuela.

RCTV is one of the country's oldest channels and began broadcasting in 1953.

Bump, ya'll.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So, why the bump, to remind us he won reelection by a wide margin for the third time? I would say that the people of VZ will get the government they asked for, and we have no right to interfere. I am simply not that interested in the internal affairs of other countries, especially if they seem to be a functioning democracy.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
So, why the bump, to remind us he won reelection by a wide margin for the third time? I would say that the people of VZ will get the government they asked for, and we have no right to interfere. I am simply not that interested in the internal affairs of other countries, especially if they seem to be a functioning democracy.
We can only discuss things within the USA? Must be a new rule, huh?

Oh, I was hoping that perhaps we might have a bit of analysis concerning Pres Chavez' plan to shut down a newspaper that criticizes him. Some folks who support the ACLU might be of the opinion that a government leader threatening to shut down a newspaper would be a bad thing.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
We can only discuss things within the USA? Must be a new rule, huh?

Oh, I was hoping that perhaps we might have a bit of analysis concerning Pres Chavez' plan to shut down a newspaper that criticizes him. Some folks who support the ACLU might be of the opinion that a government leader threatening to shut down a newspaper would be a bad thing.
Chavez met with the President of Iran in Venezuela not very long ago if I recall. I'd bet Chavez asked him how he dealt with pesky problems like that.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I would agree that it was the people of VZ's choice and they have to live with it good, bad or indifferent.

On the other hand interference in another countries affairs depends on you definition. If you consider anything but the status quo interferance I would have to disagree with you. The people are certainly free to chose the representatives but other countries are allowed to chose whether or not to continue aid, trade practices, loans, etc. If you are refering to internal meddling with the country I would have to agree. But if you think that other countries do not interfere or play a role in US politics you are rather niave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in