Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM
KamiL

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerW140
Doesn't seem like a bad plan at this point. Oh yeah, stfu you god damn troll. You are a complete waste of time.
Why do you respond to my posts then?
post #53 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiL
Why do you respond to my posts then?
To make you aware that you are a waste of time.
post #54 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman
I would agree we should have focused on Bin Laden. would you agree that Repub's & Dem's both saw Sadam as a threat? hindsight is 20/20
This is often a line of reasoning used to suggest the invasion of Iraq was the result of an open debate in Congress and Congress declared war, like the Constitution suggests the nation will be committed to war. Unfortunately it is not accurate. The Congressional Resolution that empowered Bush to invade Iraq with the US Armed Forces could justifiably be viewed as a dereliction of duty by the United States Congress, but it cannot truthfully be suggested the Congress was on the same footing with the President when he decided to start the invasion. Go read the document. The power granted to the President was, once you boil the document's fluffy language down to it essence, to annoint the President as the sole individual American responsible for making the decision without Congress.

So, no matter what anyone in Congress said then, none of them were in the decision making role. So, what they said is relatively meaningless - the same with George W. Bush - it is what they did. And Congress did nothing. While George authorized troops to invade Iraq and follow a plan he had drawn up, not Congress, that has proven to be a disaster.

George W. Bush wanted it this way. No debates, no diplomacy, no planning and vetting, no real work. He is fundamentally a lazy guy, and has a crew of lazy people working for him. Condoleeza Rice is always saying "no one could have known" about things that did happen before they happened, which is little more than an excuse - and a tactic to lower the performance expectations. No one expects anyone to be able to see the future, but it is reasonable to expect the President and his Cabinet to capable of examining a situation and developing an assessement that examines more than the rosiest of possible outcomes and plans only for that rosy outcome, no matter how unlikely.

I think Bot presumes his outlook is reasonable on securing oil by force, and his cheerleading for the "Global War on Terror" is rational. But, we were doing fine with oil at about $45 per barrel or less, and, the GWOT is about the same nebulous concept as the War on Drugs, or the War on Poverty, or other "not-wars" that people get wrapped up in, except this one is killing thousands of people and costing hundreds of billions of dollars, and bankrupting the nation's reserves of international good will.

I subscribe to the group who wants Bush gone, and his collection of lazy assistants. I do not belong to any party because I think political parties are disgusting. But, I am not above using the party system to attain my goal of removing Bush and his ilk from the seat of power. George is the perverse possibility implied but surely not intended by the American saying "Anyone can grow up to be President." George's type is not the anyone that saying is intended to inspire when it is voiced to kids across the nation. That saying was not intended to suggest lazy, underachieving, dishonest and duplicitous people can become President.

Unfortunately for America, it seems such possibilities can exist - given money and twisted intentions. Jim
post #55 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
This is often a line of reasoning used to suggest the invasion of Iraq was the result of an open debate in Congress and Congress declared war, like the Constitution suggests the nation will be committed to war. Unfortunately it is not accurate. The Congressional Resolution that empowered Bush to invade Iraq with the US Armed Forces could justifiably be viewed as a dereliction of duty by the United States Congress, but it cannot truthfully be suggested the Congress was on the same footing with the President when he decided to start the invasion. Go read the document. The power granted to the President was, once you boil the document's fluffy language down to it essence, to annoint the President as the sole individual American responsible for making the decision without Congress.
In order for that argument to hold up, Democrats would have had to have been excluded from the process of assigning such power to the executive. Sorry, but they weren't exactly innocent bystanders, and to claim some slightly higher ground on their part seems to come under the heading of splitting hairs. "Dereliction of duty" is good enough for me to hold them accountable.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #56 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It was the lowest point in all of this for me. People like Howard Dean and small potatoes smucks like myself have been working to replace all of those who had anything to do with it. Daschle is out. Hillary probably torpedoed her chance at the Presidency with her vote. Kerry has been marginalized. Many of them have also apologized and repudiated their vote, for whatever that is worth. I hang my head in shame for them.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #57 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
JIm Smith is a fucking idot
post #58 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Illinois Department of Transportation?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #59 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Illinois Department of Transportation?
and then some.... LOL
post #60 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
In order for that argument to hold up, Democrats would have had to have been excluded from the process of assigning such power to the executive. Sorry, but they weren't exactly innocent bystanders, and to claim some slightly higher ground on their part seems to come under the heading of splitting hairs. "Dereliction of duty" is good enough for me to hold them accountable.
But there are two separate and distinct failures, and one enabled the other but it did not create the other. And Congress as a whole, not Republicans or Democrats separately, are guilty of dereliction of duty, of failing to uphold their oath. Just because Bush is a Republican does not excuse Republican Congress members from performing their duties in accordance with their oath.

But Bush demanded the power and orchestrated the creation of a set of circumstances that made opposing his demands for power something the typical politician could not fathom - the risk of losing the next election by being branded a pussy or a terror-sympathizer was too great for too many. And then Bush used his newly granted power to sink the nation into a hole it will take generations of really extraordinarily competent leaders to get us out of - meaning the whole Middle East problem he has constructed, as well as the present isolation of America due to the general perception that America is not trustworthy or honorable held by the bulk of nations that make up the rest of the world.

The broad brushing approach to assigning responsibility is flawed mostly because it leaves the actual failures undefined, and if you can't point to the actual problem, you can't find an effective fix. In this case the George Bush disease is not curable by the cure for a Senate and House of Representatives that fails at its job. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in