WalMart hurts poor? - Page 15 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Virtually none, which is why we aren't called "USAStar". Easy to criticize capitalism/libertarianism from Alaska. Have you received your annual oil revenue stipend yet?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Virtually none, which is why we aren't called "USAStar". Easy to criticize capitalism/libertarianism from Alaska. Have you received your annual oil revenue stipend yet?

ZZzzinnnggg!!!
post #143 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Market driven capitalism would require that they receive enough money to live, else they will die, and there will be no one to do the job, right? That doesn't mean they have some entitlement to enough wage to feed and house a family of four (or even two).
When you are talking about that bottom 5% that is just above educable/trainable for whatever reason, or has “crashed” for some reason [medical, drugs, prison, depression, DGAF] most communities make provisions for the that group via group homes, halfway houses or community living.

However, due to community standards, lifestyles and other reasons, there are MANY single mothers out there trying to make it by themselves. While that mother may not have an “entitlement” to a higher living wage, the children that she supports and is raising do not deserve a shunning by a tightwad society that just wants to keep buying $9 jeans at Walmart because a Living Wage is inconvenient. The long term ramifications of that shunning approach is far more expensive to society.

American society, by evolution and its Christian background, has, until very recently chosen to address the needs of those who cannot take care of themselves. We as a society are, in fact, judged by how well we take care of those who have the least. That has been a canon condition of American society and of societies throughout history.

It seems so strange to me that anyone who is on a Mercedes forum would give a second thought to providing a Living Wage to those on the lower rungs of the ladder. Those of us who have climbed the ladder and succeeded have done so with the help of many people, and that help came in many different ways. None of us succeeded by ourselves. How then one can look at a Living Wage and question the validity of putting a roof over one’s head or food on the family table is beyond me. The zeal of finding $9.00 jeans and a $349 LCD TV can’t be that much that all fairness to everyone else goes away. That just can’t be.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #144 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
When you are talking about that bottom 5% that is just above educable/trainable for whatever reason, or has “crashed” for some reason [medical, drugs, prison, depression, DGAF] most communities make provisions for the that group via group homes, halfway houses or community living.

However, due to community standards, lifestyles and other reasons, there are MANY single mothers out there trying to make it by themselves. While that mother may not have an “entitlement” to a higher living wage, the children that she supports and is raising do not deserve a shunning by a tightwad society that just wants to keep buying $9 jeans at Walmart because a Living Wage is inconvenient. The long term ramifications of that shunning approach is far more expensive to society.

American society, by evolution and its Christian background, has, until very recently chosen to address the needs of those who cannot take care of themselves. We as a society are, in fact, judged by how well we take care of those who have the least. That has been a canon condition of American society and of societies throughout history.

It seems so strange to me that anyone who is on a Mercedes forum would give a second thought to providing a Living Wage to those on the lower rungs of the ladder. Those of us who have climbed the ladder and succeeded have done so with the help of many people, and that help came in many different ways. None of us succeeded by ourselves. How then one can look at a Living Wage and question the validity of putting a roof over one’s head or food on the family table is beyond me. The zeal of finding $9.00 jeans and a $349 LCD TV can’t be that much that all fairness to everyone else goes away. That just can’t be.
If states or individual communities want to go that route by popular demand, then fine. I have no problem with communities taking care of their own, that is in part what communities are for. I do not want it on a national level. I am much more comfortable with the minimalist simplicity of market driven capitalism.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #145 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Yes,I received the dividends and that money is right back into the local economy.

I was only curious if any of the remanufactured parts you sell are done so in the US or are they done in Mexico or etc based on the high rate of unemployment in Arizona.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #146 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4benz
Yes,I received the dividends and that money is right back into the local economy.

I was only curious if any of the remanufactured parts you sell are done so in the US or are they done in Mexico or etc based on the high rate of unemployment in Arizona.
All the reman stuff we do is stateside (none in AZ, though), and that does represent a substantial portion of our business.

post #147 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
If states or individual communities want to go that route by popular demand, then fine. I have no problem with communities taking care of their own, that is in part what communities are for. I do not want it on a national level. I am much more comfortable with the minimalist simplicity of market driven capitalism.
Yes.

B
post #148 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
To back up my suspicion regarding the veracity of that quote, from Wiki:

"According to the Falsely Attributed Quotations page at the Churchill Centre, "there is no record of anyone hearing Churchill say this." Paul Addison of Edinburgh University is quoted as stating: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35! And would he have talked so disrespectfully of Clemmie, who is generally thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"
Also variously attributed to George Bernard Shaw and Benjamin Disraeli and Otto von Bismarck"

You must remember we have here a Conservative party and a Liberal party, which is subtly different to being liberal or conservative in the broad sense.
http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/1358

Don't believe everything you think
post #149 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Premium Member
Who are the throngs of thugs swarming into Wal Mart in a stampede upon the store(s) opening on the so-called Black Friday?
I am glad there is no Wal Mart in New York City. Although there are stores elsewhere in Long Island, efforts to open a Wal Mart in Brooklyn have met widespread opposition by Brooklynites.
If you're traveling to NYC this Holiday season, shop Macy's!

Mi$ter Right.
post #150 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Macy's , or Big Lots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in