post #91 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
"Living wage" is a neo-lib invention that hurts poor people because when a competitive company cannot afford to pay that amount and survive they fire everyone at the low end of the wage range. Then "the government" (aka you and me) get to support them in the "style" to which they have become accustomed.
No Jay, a Living Wage is a RATE, a line, mathematical calculation, it is not political. Just because it is used in a political debate does not make it a “neo-lib invention”.

“neo-lib” on the other hand is a term used by NeoCons [NewConfused] because they are not creative enough to come up with a term of their own to discuss liberals. First, the “neo” suggests new, and most liberals have been that way since the 60’s. In fact in previous posts you have misquoted Churchill on a early Liberal, later Conservative quote which he did not make [as a gentleman, he would not have insulted his wife, a true outspoken Liberal]. That misquote suggests that you would know that Liberals start early and the use of “neo-lib” would be a misnomer at best. Call the dittoheads together and find a more clever word. Have Rush try and come up with an original thought.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
If they don't have long white laces and rubber soles, I probably won't wear them.
Have you tried these?

Last edited by DaveN007; 03-28-2007 at 11:40 AM.
post #93 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Will these do?
Prof goes all the way to Italy to get those.
post #94 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Will these do?
Gwen Stefani left a pair of those under my bed a while back...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #95 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
Have you tried these?
Sorry, I'm not that liberal.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #96 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
No Jay, a Living Wage is a RATE, a line, mathematical calculation, it is not political. Just because it is used in a political debate does not make it a “neo-lib invention”.

“neo-lib” on the other hand is a term used by NeoCons [NewConfused] because they are not creative enough to come up with a term of their own to discuss liberals. First, the “neo” suggests new, and most liberals have been that way since the 60’s. In fact in previous posts you have misquoted Churchill on a early Liberal, later Conservative quote which he did not make [as a gentleman, he would not have insulted his wife, a true outspoken Liberal]. That misquote suggests that you would know that Liberals start early and the use of “neo-lib” would be a misnomer at best. Call the dittoheads together and find a more clever word. Have Rush try and come up with an original thought.
Yes, Neocons do represent progressive thought as opposed to the regressive feeling of the 60s.

"Living wage" is, in fact, a term like "choice" that denotes a very specific emotion that is felt by liberals when they say it. Much like "affordable housing" and "social justice". They are feelings. They are moving targets.

At least "living wage" could be calculated, but if only you agreed upon the criteria. No one does.

Here is one site:

Plug in your area and see what it says.

http://www.livingwage.geog.psu.edu/

Last edited by DaveN007; 11-26-2006 at 03:42 PM.
post #97 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
$30/week? Most MB techs I know make $50-$100/hour! Let's boycott mcbear!! Slave labor, if I've ever seen it!
I would bet there is not a Certified MB Tech [working for a shop or MB dealer in the Country that is making $50-100 per hour. The SHOP or DEALER is charging that but the Cert Tech is not. Only Cert Techs that might make that much would own their own shop. Then it is $50-100 per hour GROSS.

And please J, feel free to boycott my shop. We won't work on the newer cars anyway. They will never be restored, just thrown away when finished. With $5K Comand boards and $3K ignitions and $5K ECU/FMS, not to mention the electronic subsystems that started failing before they even hit 50K miles, I fear that only the SL's and MAYBE CL's will get any sort of restoration/refresh work. Even the AMG's were made in such quantity that they will be pedestrian and on the used car lots in 15 more years.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #98 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Sorry, I'm not that liberal.
I LIVE in these things. All of my clothes come from REI except what I must buy for work.

If anyone LOOKS liberal, it's me.

post #99 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I would bet there is not a Certified MB Tech [working for a shop or MB dealer in the Country that is making $50-100 per hour. The SHOP or DEALER is charging that but the Cert Tech is not. Only Cert Techs that might make that much would own their own shop. Then it is $50-100 per hour GROSS.

And please J, feel free to boycott my shop. We won't work on the newer cars anyway. They will never be restored, just thrown away when finished. With $5K Comand boards and $3K ignitions and $5K ECU/FMS, not to mention the electronic subsystems that started failing before they even hit 50K miles, I fear that only the SL's and MAYBE CL's will get any sort of restoration/refresh work. Even the AMG's were made in such quantity that they will be pedestrian and on the used car lots in 15 more years.
What do you think about my 2002 R129 SL...last of the R129s? Too new to cherish?

I love the retro style blended with modern features.

The car was designed in the late 80's.

Think they will be worth preserving over time?

I have one of the Silver Arrows. (The package to entice people who were waiting for the 230s)
post #100 of 209 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
How much would the EPA add to the cost if they had not been "defanged over the past 6 years"?
Unknown. You can argue that business would be negatively impacted if they had continued enforcement of regulations on pace by X $ amount OR you could argue just as easily that with the slack that is currently in place, any future regulations, or enforcement of current regulations will cost more than if a continuous level enforcement had occurred.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in