Iraq: Civil War? WayTooEarlyToTell? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 45,199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Or you can take the lead of Zeitgeist, Feel The Love, and Germanstar and drop pretense of reasoned argument and just sharpshoot.

I prefer reasoned discussion. But I'll respond to the other, too.
You are good, we are bad. You are right, we are wrong. You use reason, we cannot. You win.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
You are good, we are bad. You are right, we are wrong. You use reason, we cannot. You win.
I gave up that fight with him a long time ago
DP is offline  
post #53 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I gave up that fight with him a long time ago
Take a number and stand in line. No cutting.
Botnst is offline  
post #54 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:56 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Take a number and stand in line. No cutting.
Whatever you say Bot
DP is offline  
post #55 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 45,199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I gave up that fight with him a long time ago
He's either been getting much more defensive lately as his long-held arguments lose traction with time, or we are just increasingly ill-mannered ruffians.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #56 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:24 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
He's either been getting much more defensive lately as his long-held arguments lose traction with time, or we are just increasingly ill-mannered ruffians.
I like that; we are "ill-mannered ruffians"
DP is offline  
post #57 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Take a number and stand in line. No cutting.
Reasoned argument? Are you ready to admit the war in Iraq is a fiasco?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #58 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:37 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
DP is offline  
post #59 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 52,143
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hyperbolia redux

B, your "we have an inherent right to their resources, so fugg'em" argument in favor of this abomination is the moral equivalent of an intellectual defense of pedophilia-- They're weak and have something we desire, so we can just move in and take that something by force...because we can. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to maintain any silly pretense in engaging you in some kind of "reasonable" debate about various actions and their pseudo-intellectual underpinnings, when they're so obviously morally degenerate.

What's most disturbing about your argument (unlike your contemporaries in the meme-spewing Koolaid krowd), is that you've clearly put some thought into it. Frankly, that's downright creepy. Honestly, I can't fathom how an otherwise rational sounding individual can hew so tightly to such morally challenged views, after all that's transpired since '03. Even if you still valued pedophilia, the application in this particular case would seem in the light of reason and thoughtful analysis to have proven to be increasingly sub-optimal.

For the foreseeable future, I'll leave the reasoned debates to discussions about tax policy or underarm deodorants, but your foreign policy logic is way beyond the capacity for reason.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #60 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Roll on or stick, Bot? I'm so confused with that.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
Lebanon: Civil War? Maybe! DP Off-Topic 94 12-03-2006 09:18 AM
But it's not a 'civil war'...... FeelTheLove Off-Topic 13 04-08-2006 06:50 PM
As CIA predicted over two years ago, result of Iraq election will be civil war FeelTheLove Off-Topic 19 12-29-2005 01:19 PM
Is a civil war imminent? phaedrus_242 Off-Topic 40 03-04-2005 08:53 PM
Are we headed for a civil war? sflori Off-Topic 33 11-01-2004 10:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome