Anybody notice the slow decline in the USD against the Euro and Sing Dollar - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anybody notice the slow decline in the USD against the Euro and Sing Dollar

No attack on the DEMS but damn since the mid terms the dollar has gone from 1.25 USD per 1 Euro to today it is 129.5 USD to 1 Euro and the SGD was 1.58 SGD for 1 USD and now it is 1.549 SGD to 1 USD. Hope it does not make this a habit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 PM
KamiL

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
When the dollar is weaker it is better for the USA if you really think about it. Now other countries' currency is more valuable so they will buy MADE IN THE USA products and we can export more. Also, it will drive more tourists to come here and people from the STATES will take vacations in America. One more thing, since the dollar will be weak, we won't be importing as much which means we'll have to make it here which in turn will create jobs.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 10:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Bush has had a weak dollar policy since he was elected. It's really the only thing holding up what is left of US manufacturing, so it is probably a good thing.

The Democrats haven't even taken office yet, so your inclusion of them in your comment is stupid tripe.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 01:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I figure that China now nearly owns the US$, or will do so all too soon.
The worm is turning on the one big economy that made itself rich in the 20th century - at the expense of much of the others as it turned out.
How's the Yuan doing, - still fixed and fair market?.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiL
When the dollar is weaker it is better for the USA if you really think about it. Now other countries' currency is more valuable so they will buy MADE IN THE USA products and we can export more. Also, it will drive more tourists to come here and people from the STATES will take vacations in America. One more thing, since the dollar will be weak, we won't be importing as much which means we'll have to make it here which in turn will create jobs.
I think with regards to imports alot of things are simply too exspensive to produce in teh states because of high labour costs and that China has such lax industrial laws and keeps their currency low, however the US will always be good at producing unique technology that will always come at a premium, however demand for that is quite static, you don't export alot of cars except to Canada and I guess Mexico. I don't think you will see a big rise in terms of home grown production as companies like for examle Nike and Levis will just absorb the low dollar as it is not hugely affecting their margins. Alot of people simply cannot be bothered traveling to the States as tourists anymore, it's become such a PITA for anyone who does not hold an American passport. I doubt that this will have any meaningfull effect of you current account deficit, national debt or any other economic indicators unless the dollar drops alot more or this is for an extened period of time.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

NZ Benz - the only thing in my home that is US made is some US$ for my odd ebay foray. Although the DVD my wife is watching is an American movie ...(it's shit, and is why I'm on here!)
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpton
NZ Benz - the only thing in my home that is US made is some US$ for my odd ebay foray. Although the DVD my wife is watching is an American movie ...(it's shit, and is why I'm on here!)
Exactly it's all made in China and the dollar being lower than normal will not cause some kind of massive swing back of manufactoring to the States. I'll try and find something in our house made in the US, I wounder what.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Our washing machine is a Maytag, are those still made in the US?
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Interesting isn't it - that New Zealand is in the lead for Chinas first free trade agreement, but Bush's mob don't want to know us - go figure!.
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Maytag sounds Chinese....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in