Anybody notice the slow decline in the USD against the Euro and Sing Dollar - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpton
Interesting isn't it - that New Zealand is in the lead for Chinas first free trade agreement, but Bush's mob don't want to know us - go figure!.
It's because the big gainers of a free trade deal with the US would be primary producers, the Americans are as bad as the EU when it comes to protectionism of their inefficent farmers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
[quote=FeelTheLove]Bush has had a weak dollar policy since he was elected. It's really the only thing holding up what is left of US manufacturing, so it is probably a good thing.The Democrats haven't even taken office yet, so your inclusion of them in your comment is stupid tripe.

New European cars cost Euro in the end, I did not realize you hate new european cars or you are just independently wealthy and you can afford to throw good money down a drain.

SO you are saying currency traders and other nations do not look ahead and buy or sell currencies based on who has been elected to office?

There is just no pleasing you, your wife must live in a constant hell.

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 11-24-2006 at 04:49 AM.
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpton
I figure that China now nearly owns the US$, or will do so all too soon.
The worm is turning on the one big economy that made itself rich in the 20th century - at the expense of much of the others as it turned out.
How's the Yuan doing, - still fixed and fair market?.
Still fixed, do not know about how far it actually is. What is also interesting is gold and silver have started going up again, there should be new gold etf open ion the chinese stock exchange soon, they expect quite a bit of the chinese to buy in. Once this powder keg we call the middle east blows it should take the price of oil and gold with it.
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Damn this baby is still falling, 1.3089 USD per 1 Euro, Gold is up 8.35 USD today a troy ounce an silcer is up .34 cents a troy ounce
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currency values just relate to debt and desirability. Always the talk that weakness will help trade is academic and the only effect we see is a rise in world commodities – oil, grain, gold if at times it assumes a substitute as money. The dollar for now is the worlds reserve currency and will be as long as the US is a stable government without a threat of confiscating foreign assets.
When the Euro came out it looked as if the US may have a handle on it's debt and the Euro looked like it would go to zero (partially because it was new and hadn't established itself also) but started back and has only paused on the way up as our debt went back on a binge. Gold did bottom the very day Jimmy Carter was nominated but at this point the dems have shown they're more responsible with debt than the current repos.
This current rise started back in Oct. and isn't related to the elections. The recent explosion of the last few days is a seasonal thing that goes with seasonal consumer shopping.
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications.../2187rank.html
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, I can't find a single electronic gadget in my house that says Made in USA!!! The only things made in this country that I know of are my Hancock & Moore leather recliner that is made in Hickory, NC., two customer ordered Martha Washington chairs made by Hickory Chair.

I will keep looking.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau
Wow, I can't find a single electronic gadget in my house that says Made in USA!!! The only things made in this country that I know of are my Hancock & Moore leather recliner that is made in Hickory, NC., two customer ordered Martha Washington chairs made by Hickory Chair.

I will keep looking.
Yes a lot of great furniture that can be handed down or already has been, says “Made in USA”. Maybe the most enduring things of our culture – along with some firearms and art. They won't be selling Hancock & Moore in WalMart anytime soon.
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Markets rocked by sharp slide in dollar

By Neil Dennis and Chris Giles in London and Ralph Atkins in Frankfurt
Published: November 24 2006 20:08 | Last updated: November 24 2006 20:08

A sharpening slide in the US dollar unnerved global markets on Friday as investors sought to protect themselves from the possibility of sustained dollar weakness.
As US markets were closing on Friday , the euro stood at a 19-month high of $1.309, up 1.2 per cent, while sterling gained 0.9 per cent to a 1½-year peak of $1.9333. The yen climbed 0.5 per cent to ¥115.66.

European and Asian stock markets suffered the fallout from the dollar’s decline with exporters to the US the worst performing stocks in all regions. But on commodity markets, dollar-denominated prices tracked higher as gold, copper and oil became cheaper in other currencies.
The euro’s strength could put the European Central Bank under fresh political pressure not to raise interest rates again after the expected quarter percentage point rise to 3.5 per cent on December 7.
The dollar has now fallen this year by more than 10 per cent against the euro and 12 per cent against sterling. Some economists suggest the greenback has further to slide given a weak economic outlook in the US, and the prospect of interest rate cuts there next year.

Steve Saywell, currencies analyst at Citigroup, said: “While the economic data remain soft, the dollar will continue to fall.”
The gaping US trade deficit, the near certainty of a December rise in eurozone interest rates, rising expectations of a cut in US rates in the spring and wariness about borrowing in yen to finance investments in the US all continued to weigh on the dollar, analysts said.

These concerns were heightened by comments from Wu Xiaoling, deputy governor of the People’s Bank of China, indicating her unease at the rapid build-up of $1,000bn of reserves in China. She said Asian foreign exchange reserves were at risk from the dollar’s fall, although she stopped short of indicating that China was about to stop adding to its pile of reserves.
“The dollar is coming under real pressure and this looks like the beginning of a sustained move,” said Ian Stannard, strategist at BNP Paribas.
Equities markets in Europe and Asia fell sharply. Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 fell 1.1 per cent to 15,734.6, while the FTSE Eurofirst 300 shed 0.8 per cent to 1,451.05.
Commodities tracked higher, with gold climbing 1.2 per cent to $638.50 a troy ounce, while copper added 2.5 per cent to $7,155 a tonne. Nymex crude gained 1.1 per cent to $59.90.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2006

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/dca2809c-7bf...0779e2340.html

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 11-24-2006 at 11:48 PM.
post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau

I will keep looking.
Here! I found one!

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
Markets rocked by sharp slide in dollar

By Neil Dennis and Chris Giles in London and Ralph Atkins in Frankfurt
Published: November 24 2006 20:08 | Last updated: November 24 2006 20:08

A sharpening slide in the US dollar unnerved global markets on Friday as investors sought to protect themselves from the possibility of sustained dollar weakness.
As US markets were closing on Friday , the euro stood at a 19-month high of $1.309, up 1.2 per cent, while sterling gained 0.9 per cent to a 1½-year peak of $1.9333. The yen climbed 0.5 per cent to ¥115.66.

European and Asian stock markets suffered the fallout from the dollar’s decline with exporters to the US the worst performing stocks in all regions. But on commodity markets, dollar-denominated prices tracked higher as gold, copper and oil became cheaper in other currencies.
The euro’s strength could put the European Central Bank under fresh political pressure not to raise interest rates again after the expected quarter percentage point rise to 3.5 per cent on December 7.
The dollar has now fallen this year by more than 10 per cent against the euro and 12 per cent against sterling. Some economists suggest the greenback has further to slide given a weak economic outlook in the US, and the prospect of interest rate cuts there next year.

Steve Saywell, currencies analyst at Citigroup, said: “While the economic data remain soft, the dollar will continue to fall.”
The gaping US trade deficit, the near certainty of a December rise in eurozone interest rates, rising expectations of a cut in US rates in the spring and wariness about borrowing in yen to finance investments in the US all continued to weigh on the dollar, analysts said.

These concerns were heightened by comments from Wu Xiaoling, deputy governor of the People’s Bank of China, indicating her unease at the rapid build-up of $1,000bn of reserves in China. She said Asian foreign exchange reserves were at risk from the dollar’s fall, although she stopped short of indicating that China was about to stop adding to its pile of reserves.
“The dollar is coming under real pressure and this looks like the beginning of a sustained move,” said Ian Stannard, strategist at BNP Paribas.
Equities markets in Europe and Asia fell sharply. Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 fell 1.1 per cent to 15,734.6, while the FTSE Eurofirst 300 shed 0.8 per cent to 1,451.05.
Commodities tracked higher, with gold climbing 1.2 per cent to $638.50 a troy ounce, while copper added 2.5 per cent to $7,155 a tonne. Nymex crude gained 1.1 per cent to $59.90.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2006

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/dca2809c-7bf...0779e2340.html
Just what did you expect, dude? A dollar bill is nothing more than your share of stock in USA, Inc. Six years of investing in war instead of in technological innovation and eduction for your people, six years of tax cuts based on borrowed money, six years of pork barrell bridges to no where, all of it is coming home to roost. Enjoy it, it's all yours.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in