Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Arrow mon-004o

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon-004o
I think this statement is pretty accurate, with one small modification, I dont think it's the "superiority" factor as much as it is that in general, ignorance. America is a superpower on the worlds stage, and what happens there effects the rest of the world (and we know it, thus the "superiority" thing I suppose)...
Very well said, and thank you for the feedback.
Musikmann

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Question Now WE should learn Spanish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I think Spanish should never be politicized and must become a must for all to learn just because we border Mexico let alone having a high Spanish speaking population in our country. We are in the midst of an evolutionary morphing as a country and Spanish is part of it.
What are you drinking, or smoking, tonight?

We also share a border with Quebec do we not? So I suppose you think we should also learn that useless language? Of course, they have it pretty well at home, and are not coming here in droves, so I'm making a illogical statement there.

Just because the Mexicans, and the Central and South Americans are making a bee-line for the border, does not mean we owe them anything of the sort.

I think it's time we put a screeching halt to the Hispanic immigration here. For the most part, they are unskilled and do not speak english. IMO it's about time we developed some automation for the lowly tasks they are capable of performing, or provide a financial incentive for americans, and legal aliens, to do the work.

Last edited by Musikmann; 11-20-2006 at 09:15 PM.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
What are you drinking, or smoking, tonight?

We also share a border with Quebec do we not? So I suppose you think we should also learn that useless language? Of course, they have it pretty well at home, and are not coming here in droves, so I'm making a illogical statement there.

Just because the Mexicans, and the Central and South Americans are making a bee-line for the border, does not mean we owe them anything of the sort.

I think it's time we put a screeching halt to the Hispanic immigration here. For the most part, they are unskilled and do not speak english. IMO it's about time we developed some automation for the lowly tasks they are capable of performing, or provide a financial incentive for americans, and legal aliens, to do the work.
Ha, I am still healing from having shifted my brain inside my head last week
Nothing wrong with learning Spanish or French if anything it will make us stronger. Stop looking at it from a polictical angle and start thinking $$$$$$$
we are bound to have open borders at least for trade and vacations so what's the big deal? I think it should be our national objective to be fully competitive and ready for this global market in a smart way.
If we learn Spanish for example we can send more of our people to start businesses in Mexico that will keep Mexicans happy. Do you think that they cross our border because they love our country or is it for economical reasons? Bring the reasons to their doorsteps and make money while at it, you dig? That's the way and it will require that we learn Spanish, is that a simple formula?
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up Good points Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Ha, I am still healing from having shifted my brain inside my head last week
Nothing wrong with learning Spanish or French if anything it will make us stronger. Stop looking at it from a polictical angle and start thinking $$$$$$$
we are bound to have open borders at least for trade and vacations so what's the big deal? I think it should be our national objective to be fully competitive and ready for this global market in a smart way.
If we learn Spanish for example we can send more of our people to start businesses in Mexico that will keep Mexicans happy. Do you think that they cross our border because they love our country or is it for economical reasons? Bring the reasons to their doorsteps and make money while at it, you dig? That's the way and it will require that we learn Spanish, is that a simple formula?
Now that you put it that way Professor, I certainly agree with you. Smart is the best answer, and the world should be a global marketplace.

Also, absolutely, they come here due to the economics of it. I was being too political, and you are right, that it is a simple formula.

My apologies to you, and I hope you feel better soon,

Musikmann

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
People who behave boorishly abroad undoubtedly are boors in their own home.

Some places I've been seem to spawn louts like we spawn mosquitoes around here. I'm thinking of Houston, 'lanta, all of New Jersey, and (of course) New York, just off the top of my head. Not that all of Houston, etc are uniformly slobs. There are good people wherever you go. But if there's a loud, obnoxious, whining, complaining, American voice impatient and intolerant in a sea of quiet locals, the chances are that American is from one of those cities.

It is most evident among group of people waiting for soemthing. Some people can queue quietly and with patient tolerance and some cannot.

B
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
6 Imams Removed From Twin Cities Flight
Nov 21 1:42 AM US/Eastern

By STEVE KARNOWSKI
Associated Press Writer
MINNEAPOLIS

Six Muslim imams were removed from a US Airways flight at Minneapolis- St. Paul International Airport on Monday and questioned by police for several hours before being released, a leader of the group said.

The six were among passengers who boarded Flight 300, bound for Phoenix, around 6:30 p.m., airport spokesman Pat Hogan said.

A passenger initially raised concerns about the group through a note passed to a flight attendant, according to Andrea Rader, a spokeswoman for US Airways. She said police were called after the captain and airport security workers asked the men to leave the plane and the men refused.

"They took us off the plane, humiliated us in a very disrespectful way," said Omar Shahin, of Phoenix.

The six Muslim scholars were returning from a conference in Minneapolis of the North American Imams Federation, said Shahin, president of the group. Five of them were from the Phoenix-Tempe area, while one was from Bakersfield, Calif., he said.

Three of them stood and said their normal evening prayers together on the plane, as 1.7 billion Muslims around the world do every day, Shahin said. He attributed any concerns by passengers or crew to ignorance about Islam.

"I never felt bad in my life like that," he said. "I never. Six imams. Six leaders in this country. Six scholars in handcuffs. It's terrible."

Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations, expressed anger at the detentions.

"CAIR will be filing a complaint with relevant authorities in the morning over the treatment of the imams to determine whether the incident was caused by anti-Muslim hysteria by the passengers and/or the airline crew," Hooper said. "Because, unfortunately, this is a growing problem of singling out Muslims or people perceived to be Muslims at airports, and it's one that we've been addressing for some time."

Hooper said the meeting drew about 150 imams from all over the country, and that those attending included U.S. Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, D-Minneapolis, who just became the first Muslim elected to Congress. Shahin said they went as far as notifying police and the FBI about their meeting in advance.

Shahin expressed frustration that _ despite extensive efforts by him and other Muslim leaders since even before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks _ so many Americans know so little about Islam.

"If up to now they don't know about prayers, this is a real problem," he said.

Reached by cell phone just after his release, Shahin said he didn't know where they would spend the night or how they would try to get back to Phoenix on Tuesday. Hooper said US Airways refused to put the men on another flight.

Hogan said more information would likely be released Tuesday.

The other passengers on the flight, which was carrying 141 passengers and five crew members, were re-screened for boarding, Rader said. The plane took off about three hours after the men were removed from the flight.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leningrad vs Miami

In the 1980's I was engaged to a Soviet woman and, as a consequence, I made many visits to Leningrad (now St. Petersburg). While Soviet Customs was strict (I was always totally searched both when entering and leaving) the officials were always polite. Many times I would have the same customs official search my bags and once just before he was set to retire he said to me: "You know I was just doing my job."

I can't say that about returning to America....rudeness is more the rule than the exception. The only nice thing is that we only have to experience the rudeness when entering the country.

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
However, having lived in the US for several years and my accent reflecting that, when I returned home for holidays there were occasions where I received some specifically pointed sarcasm.
During my painfully long wait for my installer (a 70-something gent from London) to schedule a date for the recovering of seats in my '81 380 SL, we spoke one time about his impending return to his homeland in England after living in the States for so long. I commented that it would probably be remarked on that his accent had changed and he would be called "Yank" whenever he spoke.

He pointed out that, unlike me, he had no accent.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welll I have to say that it has been at least 18 years since I have steped foot in the great US of A but I have a little sympathy for the people doing their jobs. SInce 9/11 they are probably getting red alerts and all kinds of shit and an ass chewing sometimes when a news corp. wants to show the public how lax security still is, yeah I feel bad for those people working those jobs, they are on the shitty end of the stick
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
6 Imams Removed From Twin Cities Flight
Nov 21 1:42 AM US/Eastern

By STEVE KARNOWSKI
Associated Press Writer
MINNEAPOLIS

Six Muslim imams were removed from a US Airways flight at Minneapolis- St. Paul International Airport on Monday and questioned by police for several hours before being released, a leader of the group said.

The six were among passengers who boarded Flight 300, bound for Phoenix, around 6:30 p.m., airport spokesman Pat Hogan said.

A passenger initially raised concerns about the group through a note passed to a flight attendant, according to Andrea Rader, a spokeswoman for US Airways. She said police were called after the captain and airport security workers asked the men to leave the plane and the men refused.

"They took us off the plane, humiliated us in a very disrespectful way," said Omar Shahin, of Phoenix.

The six Muslim scholars were returning from a conference in Minneapolis of the North American Imams Federation, said Shahin, president of the group. Five of them were from the Phoenix-Tempe area, while one was from Bakersfield, Calif., he said.

Three of them stood and said their normal evening prayers together on the plane, as 1.7 billion Muslims around the world do every day, Shahin said. He attributed any concerns by passengers or crew to ignorance about Islam.

"I never felt bad in my life like that," he said. "I never. Six imams. Six leaders in this country. Six scholars in handcuffs. It's terrible."

Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations, expressed anger at the detentions.

"CAIR will be filing a complaint with relevant authorities in the morning over the treatment of the imams to determine whether the incident was caused by anti-Muslim hysteria by the passengers and/or the airline crew," Hooper said. "Because, unfortunately, this is a growing problem of singling out Muslims or people perceived to be Muslims at airports, and it's one that we've been addressing for some time."

Hooper said the meeting drew about 150 imams from all over the country, and that those attending included U.S. Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, D-Minneapolis, who just became the first Muslim elected to Congress. Shahin said they went as far as notifying police and the FBI about their meeting in advance.

Shahin expressed frustration that _ despite extensive efforts by him and other Muslim leaders since even before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks _ so many Americans know so little about Islam.

"If up to now they don't know about prayers, this is a real problem," he said.

Reached by cell phone just after his release, Shahin said he didn't know where they would spend the night or how they would try to get back to Phoenix on Tuesday. Hooper said US Airways refused to put the men on another flight.

Hogan said more information would likely be released Tuesday.

The other passengers on the flight, which was carrying 141 passengers and five crew members, were re-screened for boarding, Rader said. The plane took off about three hours after the men were removed from the flight.

so, who is boorish in this example?

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in