LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think a lot of our own americans created future problems for our tourists abroad, at least in Europe. At some point in the past, we flaunted our supposed "superiority" and they still remember that.

I was in England, Germany, and Italy in 1977 and the only place I felt welcomed was in Deutschland.

To be fair to the Brits on here, I was only in London. But I felt I was treated the same way as I would probably have been treated in New York City. The only nice folks I met there, were in a pub, and they were a couple of women from Ireland.

In Italy, there was a lot of resentment about the americans who owned property there. Plus, even though most understood english (I know this because I travelled around with an Italian-born woman) they would not use it for me.

Germany, on the other hand, was a pleasurable experience. Believe it or not, the only nastiness I saw there was from the few american servicemen I approached such as "Hey man, I'm an american too". All of the ones I encountered hated being there, and their attitude reflected that.

Enough said,
Musikmann

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon-004o
Professor,

I've been living in Europe for the last 5 years. You dont have to meet any Americans over here, you can HEAR them before you see them.

For the record, I am American, but I can see how this ranking could be accurate, every time I go back to the US I'm shocked at how different it is there vice here in Europe.
That was my impression the several times when I've lived and worked abroad. The longer you stay, the more obvious the diff between Americans and others. I recall being able to guess regions of origin and be right more than half the time.

When I lived overseas I tried hard to fit-in so that locals would have to actually hear me speak to tell I was an American. It was kind of fun to have Americans struggle with Spanish asking me directions when I lived in Argentina.

As I grow older I have come to realize that I am first and last an American, for all of the bad and good. Just like wearing my wrinkles and gray hair, I wear my nationality. I earned it.

B
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
That was my impression the several times when I've lived and worked abroad. The longer you stay, the more obvious the diff between Americans and others. I recall being able to guess regions of origin and be right more than half the time.

When I lived overseas I tried hard to fit-in so that locals would have to actually hear me speak to tell I was an American. It was kind of fun to have Americans struggle with Spanish asking me directions when I lived in Argentina.

As I grow older I have come to realize that I am first and last an American, for all of the bad and good. Just like wearing my wrinkles and gray hair, I wear my nationality. I earned it.

B
I can see your point Bot but we can do something about this stigma. Nothing says that Americans have to be nasty and disrespectful, we have ample opportunities to rectify this and rebuild a REAL image of who we are. Th reason I am saying this is that many Americans when abroad act differently from what they will usually do when at home. It's an attitude based on ignorance and ignorance can be delt with.
It's all in our educational system. We need a system that is tightly coupled with our Asian, European, African and other counterparts in terms of common themes such as math and hard sciences. This way we all can share practical knowledge and compete against each other in a healthy way which eventually will make us respect each other.
Bot you speak of free markets yet we need to solidify the foundation for such before we get shunted out because of our rotten attitudes. What do you think?
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I think a lot of our own americans created future problems for our tourists abroad, at least in Europe. At some point in the past, we flaunted our supposed "superiority" and they still remember that.
I think this statement is pretty accurate, with one small modification, I dont think it's the "superiority" factor as much as it is that in general, ignorance. America is a superpower on the worlds stage, and what happens there effects the rest of the world (and we know it, thus the "superiority" thing I suppose) however, we (Americans) dont always make the effort to understand the country were in at the time (customs, do's/dont's etc). America has two oceans on either side of our country, for the last 200 years that's isolated us to a point, where as a large percentage of the world HAS to interact face to face with their neighbors. Take Norway for example, on one of my trips up there (short trip) I learned that most people under the age of 30 speak three languages. The native tounge, English, and French and or German. The US is fighting over teaching Spanish in schools - and over 30% of the US population are Spanish speakers.......
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Funny. Two thousand Mexicans showed up here in Houston last week and Burger King was so glad to see them they gave them all a job.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I can see your point Bot but we can do something about this stigma. Nothing says that Americans have to be nasty and disrespectful, we have ample opportunities to rectify this and rebuild a REAL image of who we are. Th reason I am saying this is that many Americans when abroad act differently from what they will usually do when at home. It's an attitude based on ignorance and ignorance can be delt with.
It's all in our educational system. We need a system that is tightly coupled with our Asian, European, African and other counterparts in terms of common themes such as math and hard sciences. This way we all can share practical knowledge and compete against each other in a healthy way which eventually will make us respect each other.
Bot you speak of free markets yet we need to solidify the foundation for such before we get shunted out because of our rotten attitudes. What do you think?
the REAL image is what's scary professor.

in political asylum
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:39 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well to be fair and honest, I lived on both coasts and I travelled around the USA a lot on business and I feel I was treated better than anywhere in Britain, especially London. Londoners don't really like anyone, and the rest of the country hates Londoners. However, having lived in the US for several years and my accent reflecting that, when I returned home for holidays there were occasions where I received some specifically pointed sarcasm.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon-004o
I think this statement is pretty accurate, with one small modification, I dont think it's the "superiority" factor as much as it is that in general, ignorance. America is a superpower on the worlds stage, and what happens there effects the rest of the world (and we know it, thus the "superiority" thing I suppose) however, we (Americans) dont always make the effort to understand the country were in at the time (customs, do's/dont's etc). America has two oceans on either side of our country, for the last 200 years that's isolated us to a point, where as a large percentage of the world HAS to interact face to face with their neighbors. Take Norway for example, on one of my trips up there (short trip) I learned that most people under the age of 30 speak three languages. The native tounge, English, and French and or German. The US is fighting over teaching Spanish in schools - and over 30% of the US population are Spanish speakers.......
Excellent points, again it's education and we are not doing a great job at that. The no child left behind does not address qualitative issues but rather quantitative; it forces educator to push students through while learning nothing. The ones that want to learn find themselves in a corrupt environment and lose hope to ever reach their potential. I think Spanish should never be politicized and must become a must for all to learn just because we border Mexico let alone having a high Spanish speaking population in our country. We are in the midst of an evolutionary morphing as a country and Spanish is part of it.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs
the REAL image is what's scary professor.
Not really, we are not bad people, we are misguided that's all
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Not really, we are not bad people, we are misguided that's all

i didn't say we're bad folks. actually on the contrary.. lot's of good peeps but rudeness and sky scraping nose can't be un-learned.. but we should try.

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in