post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
When it comes to Big Mama Thornton "Hound Dog" for sheer energy. Does anyone remember the old Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green?
FTL, re House of the Rising Sun, a little jam session of Terry & Eric with neither feeling much pain.
What is neglected is the sheer emotional depth of Thornton's poetry - enabling artists like Joplin to take the song into a stratosphere of her own personal pain and loss. The lyrics stand by themselves as a powerful expression of the effect of love that is so all encompassing the person affected is powerless to its affects. It is a masterpiece. One sees the same abstracts in The House of the Rising Sun, but in this case one's seeming powerlessness over hopelessness rather than love, but in this case one is left to question why the singer is powerless, but the value of the song is that it allows us to identify with similiar experiences in life where we felt enslaved yet ultimately we were really victims of ourselves blaming others.

In Mama Thornton's song, the commonality of human identification to the feelings she expresses is so universal, that we all can see it is the one thing we are unconditionally enslaved by - passionate love. But only those trapped in the world of hopelessness can find the same identification with the lost prostitute who bewails her fate. The two songs have the same theme - slavery. The Blues are ultimately our connection to the cultural of the slave and it gives us a view of emotionality through the lens of it. Mama Thornton served time on a chain gain, and it is incredible how she finds the metaphors between that experience and her experience with men.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 11-16-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 AM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I saw them in Oklahoma City back in the 70's when Green played for them. It was a great show. Green comes across as a little stiff, but it is amazing how many songs he wrote that were covered by other artists.
Peter Green was a gifted song writer and great guitarist. There is a story where he sued his publishing company. In the state of mind he was in, he regarded money as filthy and evil, and wanted his publishers to stop forcing (his words) him to accept owed royalties. He lost the lawsuit. He then stipulated for the money in cash to be put in a brown paper bag. He would sign for, and pick up the money, only to drop the bag with the next panhandler he would come across.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Peter Green told John Mayall that he was a better guitar player than Eric Clapton and therefore should have Eric's job. At the time this was ahhh.. 'enthusiastic' as Eric was in his prime.

From 1966, Eric was young and hungry if you don't have it run out and buy it.

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:09 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There was another Clapton story, where he noticed a familiar but like a vagrant looking man on the side of the road, while driving in London. The man turned out to be Peter Green and Clapton took him to his house. After spending some time together and going to bed, Clapton woke to some amazing guitar sounds. He found Green sitting downstairs on the floor with one of his guitars. Green had used a kitchen knife to cut his nails and was gone by morning.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

LADIES !

...you can do better than this as I know you're all eager for a tryst in the front seat with the 'oh so popular' Camel.

1. Poster #2 displayed psycopathic urges and may receive the delectable first prize ..lest he kill us all.

2. Post #4 is disqualified for a Country & Western 'novelty' song (shameful).

3. The Venerable Von Vorshlag delivered succinctness. Thankyou V V V.

4. The greatest singer the world has ever seen/heard Howlin' Wolf was mentioned in passing but no lyrics proffered.

5. Yoseyman receives honours for " I'm A Man " however " Old Black Magic " isn't Blues ( but a personal favourite of mine ).

6. A 'certain' MEGAPoster at #18 deserves a special mention for sound business advice for todays high tech world ...which was apparently not followed by most 'bluesmen' as they failed to get paid .

7. MBZER's disqualified because he's disqualified ....!
(He'd chew up Kamil wouldn't he ? Wouldn't that be fun, lets get him back )

....Ahhh the 'BZER, well he was enthusiastic.
...and he did say a few bad things
...and he did post naughty homo pics
...and he did saw me leg orf and nail me head to the floor, chained me to his tank and took me for a scrape around to Dinsdales house etc etc but he WuZ a good bloke ..FuNeEeeee

post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 CL500 2008 ML320CDI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Not the "best" perhaps, but a favorite line is Lightnin' Hopkins' "Lift up your chin, you got yours where mine supposed to be..."
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteski
Not the "best" perhaps, but a favorite line is Lightnin' Hopkins' "Lift up your chin, you got yours where mine supposed to be..."

Lightin' Hopkins' is an admirable addition and you've delivered a fine quote. Thankyou Peteski and of course the great...Lightin' Hopkins'.

"Lift up your chin, you got yours where mine supposed to be..."

Last edited by BNZ; 11-18-2006 at 06:01 AM.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 CL500 2008 ML320CDI
Lifetime Premium Member
Given enough time my old man's brain will remember many more, but two that sprang up right after I posted earlier are in Taj Mahal songs (I think they're considered "Traditional" as to authorship):

"If the river was whiskey and I was a duck
You know I'd dive to the bottom and never come up!"

"I had the blues so bad one time
It put my face in a permanent frown,
But I'm feelin' so much better
I could cake walk into to town."

I don't remember exactly how the lyric goes, but there's another line in the latter song "Throw your big leg over me, mama/I might not feel this good again."
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Remember Blind melon chitlin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAw-3ERSIIY
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 02:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
I had to include this.

IMHO SRV was a God.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IzO...elated&search=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in