Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Are taxes going up? You decide.

The largest single generation of people in America’s history have turned 60. That means they [we] are just a couple of years from Social Security benefits that we have been paying into since the Sixties. It means Medicare Insurance, Medicaid for those who can’t afford it. Supplemental medical insurance is only going to be used by those of us who understand its value and bought it when it was cost effective. Others will be pushed to Medicaid as medical expenses overrun savings and equity.

Medical costs continue to climb, hospitals continue to require CYA tests. Bills get higher, Medicare and Medicaid gets stretched.

Those same hospitals are starting to have to grow to accommodate an aging population larger than they have seen in the past. Much like schools of the 50’s had to be built to accommodate the Boomers, hospitals are now in that zone. State run hospitals bear much of the indigent population that has to be cared for. And that population will grow as it gets older and moves out of the work force. States will look to the Fed to supplement their budget to build these hospitals or just raise taxes in state to accommodate their revenue needs.

+++++++++++++

The Boomers are starting to retire. Others have been force retired. Manufacturing jobs are shipped offshore to “save money”. The number of workers paying into the Revenue System is FLAT at best. Department of Labor has tables that show near a million lay-offs per month in the past Six Years and also show creation of 6 million NEW JOBS. What this means in regards to taxes is the NUMBER of WORKERS feeding the tax system.
Much has been made of the “devolution of the Middle Class”. There are about 10 economic models that argue different points of view on it. Most agree with one premise, however, that service jobs on the bottom end of the economic spectrum and salaried jobs on the top end of the economic spectrum [$125K+] are increasing but the $40-80K [median $60K now defined as Middle Class] jobs are stagnate – except for healthcare. That Middle Class has always been the “bread and butter” of the Revenue Stream. Think Bell Curve here with a widened out bell at the bottom end for service employees.

If the number of workers does not increase, either through stopping offshoring or major [10Million+ tech boom type] economic increase, revenue streams are going to be stagnate and not keep up with increasing costs associated with growing Healthcare and Infrastructure expenses and costs of the soon to be $10Trillion Debt.

Whether there is a Republican or Democrat in the White House, a Republican or Democratic controlled Congress, these issues have to be addressed.
You seem very hung-up on us BabyBoomers! Any boomer who is really paying attention to reality, rather than your partisan political bull shit is doing just fine. It is only losers like you who are experiencing "income interuptus." Get w/ the program or get out of the bitching box!!!

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
You seem very hung-up on us BabyBoomers! Any boomer who is really paying attention to reality, rather than your partisan political bull shit is doing just fine. It is only losers like you who are experiencing "income interuptus." Get w/ the program or get out of the bitching box!!!
Sorry, dude, I am not having a problem with income, and what I wrote was not partisan politics. It was raw economics. Sorry you can't tell the difference. You might want to brush up on "the program" as it has changed.

With the Boomers coming to their 60's YOU are going to be paying much more for the collective of them whether you like it or not, whether it is a Democrat or Republican in charge. I would say it is simple math but apparently it is not all that simple for some people.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I am at that age where 50% is already at that T-note/Bond security. It does not pay much but is does grind out quarterly. The rest is in, as Bot says either 410K type investments or 25% [in my case] in individual stocks that I watch. I DID lose in 2000-2001 but not near what my peers did because I use a very safe "system" that does not allow me to make as much or lose as much.
Your "system" is seriously flawed. If you and your wonderful bride want any kind of future, by some US and global ETFs. And forget about them.

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sorry, dude, I am not having a problem with income, and what I wrote was not partisan politics. It was raw economics. Sorry you can't tell the difference. You might want to brush up on "the program" as it has changed.

With the Boomers coming to their 60's YOU are going to be paying much more for the collective of them whether you like it or not, whether it is a Democrat or Republican in charge. I would say it is simple math but apparently it is not all that simple for some people.
Man, I hope you can find a good "home." Because that is all you will be able to afford.

post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Come on bear! Get your grove on: The very broad S&P 500 is at six or seven year highs: S&P 500 Components Record 18th Straight Quarter of +10% Earnings Growth--Posted on Nov 13th, 2006 at http://usmarket.seekingalpha.com/article/20419

I am starting to think you are just posting partisan political BS again. Could it be???
It could be but It is not, and never has been. The DOW is up 11% from Jan 2001 to Current and when you factor inflation, it is DOWN. Dow was 10,900 when W took office and 12100 when I wrote the previous post. Factor in 3% annual inflation for 6 years, fudge it DOWN to give the benefit of the doubt and the DOW is still DOWN for the past six years.

As for the Debt being a % of GDP, I don’t know why you keep posting that chart, it does not HELP your argument. It only says that the only times the percentage was worse was under Reagan/Bush1 and when we were in WW2. You seem to think 60% is a good thing. It is not. Hint, the lower the number the better.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in