Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hubble bubble toilet trouble

From BBC 11/11/06

Millions 'hit by toilet phobia'

A campaign is being launched to raise awareness of the crippling impact of toilet phobia.
The National Phobics Society estimates at least four million Britons are affected - but the true number could be many more.

In some cases people refuse to leave their homes, and risk their health.

The society has classified the disorder as an anxiety condition in its own right, and is launching a self help book and DVD.

Toilet phobia can simply be manifest as a mild distaste for public loos.

No matter how funny we might find it, it's certainly no laughing matter

Nicky Lidbetter
National Phobias Society

'I was reluctant to go out'

But some people develop such an intense obsession that they are left housebound, and may refuse to undergo potentially life-saving medical examinations.

They may deny themselves fluids, which can harm the kidneys, or take drugs to avoid "accidents".

Many sufferers will not even take a job if a toilet is located off a communal area and they can be observed going in or out.

And routine situations requiring the provision of a urine sample fill some patients with terror.

Experts believe that the stigma surrounding the phobia means that many people refuse to admit they have a problem.

The National Phobics Society (NPS) hopes its new campaign will go some way to tackling this issue.

It also argues the medical profession needs educating about toilet phobia in order to encourage sufferers to come forward.

Taboo

Nicky Lidbetter, NPS manager, said: "Few people will talk about having an anxiety disorder in the first place, but for them to admit that they have a toilet-related phobia is rare because of the obvious embarrassment and humiliation of being laughed at or not being taken seriously.

"But, no matter how funny we might find it, it's certainly no laughing matter. We have to tackle this condition head on."

Professor Paul Salkovskis, a leading clinical psychologist, said part of the problem was society's squeamishness about going to the toilet.

"Around the world we use a lot of humour and euphemism to describe what is a basic human function.

"We say 'I'm going to the bathroom' or 'I'm going to powder my nose' because there is a taboo surrounding using the toilet."

Several conditions are thought to be behind toilet phobia. These include:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) linked to a fear of contamination

Agoraphobia - an anxiety disorder commonly - and wrongly - linked to fear of open spaces, but which the National Phobics Society says is often manifest as a fear of feeling trapped, and a need to escape

Paruresis ('shy bladder' syndrome) - the fear of urinating in the company of others

Parcopresis ('bashful bowel' syndrome) - the inability to defecate in public toilets
Treatments include cognitive behaviour therapy, which helps people to break the cycle of faulty thinking, and hypnosis.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

OK, so who has experienced this problem on either a regular or occasional basis?

For all the years I attended school, I don't ever recall 'dropping off the kids' while I was there, preferring to wait until I returned home.

Last time I went to the Glastonbury Festival I ate no solids for 3 days for fear of the infamous 'portaloos'. (The booze and drugs had nothing to do with it).

There are pub toilets in London that are so pissy that I would avoid entering even for a 'jimmy'. I would frequently drink 100ozs beer without taking a leak.

In Turkey, the 'hole-in-the-ground' no toilet paper shitters take a strong stomach and a careful technique, but I have been forced to use them on a few occasions. A friend of mine, a senior trader with a famous London commodity house, managed to park his breakfast in his trousers on his first trip to Turkey and it traumatised him for months.

So is this just a British thing, or is it universal??

Last edited by deathrattle; 11-11-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
You're the best, Bard Nun.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I admit, I am totally victimized by that. Every time I sit on a public toilet, I am gripped by the fear that Republicans have sat on the same toilet, and little Jayhawk germs are crawling up my ass.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: E320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
universal, and very common i'd say. for example, alot of my friends i went to highschool with would rather fail a class by driving home than shit in the school bathroom. i too get creeped out by public bathrooms. i think it's because of the rulnerability of the situation. i hate it. i remeber the last time i was in a huge mall in houston texas i had to take a meeeean ass dump. i went into the mall bathroom and there were no stalls!?! it was a straight wall of urinals, and a straight wall of toilets with waist-high tile walls in between them just to have a place to mount the toilet paper dispenser. it was so akward, cause i didn't want to walk by and see people taking a shit nor did i want people watching me. not to mention the feeling of being vulnerable. like if someone hockey checked you into a urinal while you were taking a piss, or robbed you while dropping the kids off at the pool. and camping is also akward too. i've starved myself for up to four days to avoid having mud butt.. by then your feeling sick and not even enjoying your trip.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think this thread is a new low point for Benzworld.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I hear a Python from the distant horizon.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Nur Spec
^^^^^

Yeah I'm with you on that. The no stalls thing is a bit weird, is it maybe to stop folks chopping their powder in private? We had a thing here for a while where doors were removed from pub and club bogs for that reason.

Some people just don't care though. I remember the first time I went to India, the sight that greeted me as we drove out of Bombay airport was folks squatting at the side of the road taking a dump-just like a dog would. Nasty.

"In days of old, when knights were bold, before toilets were invented

They left their load in the middle of the road and went off quite contented"
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I think this thread is a new low point for Benzworld.

It's da shizzle!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
I like to scream as though I ate extra hot curry the night before. Pant and grunt and pray to god for swift death. Slam my hands against the stall sides.

I leave business cards that read "If you don't piss on the toilet seat, I won't shit in your pickup truck".

Whoop it up, you only get one life..
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: E320
chopping powder? please tell me your not talking about beating it... i'm usually pretty good with my brit lingo, but that one's new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in