Should Rumsfeld be tried for War Crimes? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Should Rumfeld by tried for war crimes?
Yes 15 45.45%
No 14 42.42%
Undecided 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Bush and Co. were well established as mass-murderers before the 2004 election. Call it mass murder, call it invasion -- in the absence of provocation it amounts to the same thing. Thus all Americans are complicit in that and lessor crimes. You didn't vote for him, neither did I, but we participated in the electoral process and accepted the result as we are required to do, thus share responsibility. And in regard to isolationism, yes, I'm all for it. I'm also for getting this country back on the path of peaceful benevolence, and putting this entire sordid affair behind us as soon as possible, rather than encourage a process to bring America to its knees before the rest of the world. Punish yourself if you wish, but I think I'll skip that ride if you don't mind.
If you look at the poll, you will not see my name on the "Should" list. I am only voicing my view of what I see coming down the road. I too would prefer to see this whole mess behind us.

On the US side, I don't want to see the Democrats even think about Impeachment although I would like to see further investigations of our Intel Community [based on 9/11 Commission report] to determine if they were/are as bad as suggested or were/are as malleable as shown.

As for War Crimes or International Court, I am mixed. On the one hand, I want this to be over NOW. Get the guys home as soon as safely as possible and develop a defense/offence against terrorists that does not involve the invasion of Sovereign Nations.

On the other hand, we have always preached about being a Nation of Laws and the world would see us as further hypocritical if we tried to avoid honest charges, just because we don’t like them aimed at us. We need to reestablish our credibility in the world and that is going to take WORK and SACRIFICE.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Impeachment would be a slap in the face to all the people this man murdered. To simply lose office would be an insult to our dead soldiers, and give his stooges an excuse to prevent his facing the families of the people he murdered because he "has already paid the price". This man sent the entire US Air Force and Navy to shower a defenseless country with a massive rain of death, with no actual proof that anyone has been able to discover so far, that he had a valid reason for doing so. The reason he did it was because he wished for war, an immoral act condemned by the very Christ he claims is his source of inspiration, and act of perfidy unequalled in American history.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #53 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:39 PM
guage
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Ding Ding Ding
post #54 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DestroyerW140's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Impeachment would be a slap in the face to all the people this man murdered. To simply lose office would be an insult to our dead soldiers, and give his stooges an excuse to prevent his facing the families of the people he murdered because he "has already paid the price". This man sent the entire US Air Force and Navy to shower a defenseless country with a massive rain of death, with no actual proof that anyone has been able to discover so far, that he had a valid reason for doing so. The reason he did it was because he wished for war, an immoral act condemned by the very Christ he claims is his source of inspiration, and act of perfidy unequalled in American history.
Frankly I disagree, facing the families of people he murdered is something I dont think phases him (unless its a photo-op). Impeachment would give the families a sense of justice for what happened to their loved ones, letting him just slip by wont unless they prefer the dillusion that their loved ones died for good reason.
DestroyerW140 is offline  
post #55 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 PM
guage
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The issue is being pushed by a group of American trial attorneys from New York City. They are forum shopping abroad because they know that even the most rabid leftist American jurist wouldn't touch this lawsuit.
post #56 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
The issue is being pushed by a group of American trial attorneys from New York City. They are forum shopping abroad because they know that even the most rabid leftist American jurist wouldn't touch this lawsuit.
I have not seen that. What is the source. What I have been reading from the European press is that prisoners from several European countries that were held at Gitmo were the ones that started this last year but the issue could only be started once one of the players retired/resigned/was fired.

Not trying to be argumentative with that question by the way, I have been looking around trying to see who first stirred the turd on this and the Gitmo prisoners was the only sources that I have found to date.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #57 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
If you look at the poll, you will not see my name on the "Should" list. I am only voicing my view of what I see coming down the road. I too would prefer to see this whole mess behind us.

On the US side, I don't want to see the Democrats even think about Impeachment although I would like to see further investigations of our Intel Community [based on 9/11 Commission report] to determine if they were/are as bad as suggested or were/are as malleable as shown.

As for War Crimes or International Court, I am mixed. On the one hand, I want this to be over NOW. Get the guys home as soon as safely as possible and develop a defense/offence against terrorists that does not involve the invasion of Sovereign Nations.

On the other hand, we have always preached about being a Nation of Laws and the world would see us as further hypocritical if we tried to avoid honest charges, just because we don’t like them aimed at us. We need to reestablish our credibility in the world and that is going to take WORK and SACRIFICE.
Fair enough -- betcha quarter Rummy stays stateside.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #58 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Fair enough -- betcha quarter Rummy stays stateside.
A very good bet. Hopefully it will be enough.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #59 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
guage
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
develop a defense/offence against terrorists that does not involve the invasion of Sovereign Nations.
WWII "42-45" we invaded a number of sovereign nations. Didn't hear anybody crying about it. Probably because those nations were at war with us or occupied by those at war with us.

Now, with that standard in mind, you research the Cease-fire signed at Safwan in 1991 and the actions of Iraq in the 45 days after signing the Cease-fire.
Whats the difference between a cease-fire and an armistance.
post #60 of 132 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Premium Member
 
offroadwarrior's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
Location: NY
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Premium Member
None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
WWII "42-45" we invaded a number of sovereign nations. Didn't hear anybody crying about it. Probably because those nations were at war with us or occupied by those at war with us.

Now, with that standard in mind, you research the Cease-fire signed at Safwan in 1991 and the actions of Iraq in the 45 days after signing the Cease-fire.
Whats the difference between a cease-fire and an armistance.
Both mean a Truce. I think the word is Armistice.

Mi$ter Right.
offroadwarrior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Amnesty International report: Hezbollah guilty of war crimes Bruce R. Off-Topic 6 09-14-2006 12:36 PM
    Rumsfeld Says He's Too Busy To Testify On Iraq War firstmb Off-Topic 11 08-08-2006 12:49 PM
    Army officer refuses to serve in Iraq on grounds that Bush has committed war crimes FeelTheLove Off-Topic 26 07-07-2006 04:14 PM
    "Downing Street Memo" reporter accuses Bush, Blair, of war crimes FeelTheLove Off-Topic 2 06-23-2005 02:04 PM
    Anti-Iraq War Soldiers form PAC, begin airing new ad against the War FeelTheLove Off-Topic 8 10-15-2004 12:02 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome