Gin and Tonic - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
Location: Washington, the state!
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to myfirstbenz Send a message via MSN to myfirstbenz
(Thread Starter)
Question Gin and Tonic

I have always loved Gin and Tonics, whether receiving them from my boozing uncle as a teenager at his lake house, or enjoying them at a bar or with friends on a hot summer day, I love G&T's. I even enjoy the flavor of straight tonic water, and have my entire life since my father has always enjoyed G&T's. I like the Bombay Saphire right now, Tanq 10 is allright.

The other day I watched the movie Out of Africa, one of my favorite movies of all time. In the movie one of the Britts dies of black fever, something I had to Google, and while doing some research I found out that Quinine(in tonic water) was used to help malaria ailments. This was also the birth of the G&T. I also found that US tonic water is pretty weak as far as quinine content is concerned.

I know there are some old fogies around here, , as well as world travelers/citizens and I am curious if anyone has tried a classic G&T made the old way they would have enjoyed them in India.

If so , how would you compare the taste?

::Familie von Mercedes::
'00 German Sheperd ("Hans")
'89 300 TE 117k
'92 400E (killed in action)
'68 280 SE/8 (High School Sweetheart)
'95 E320 (mother's)
'60 190D (dad's new project)
'05 A6 Allroad 2.7t (dad's ride)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
myfirstbenz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:34 PM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good for you to be a G&T fan! They do seem to have gone out of popularity with the yoof of today but they are still a part of the establishment in the City, London.

My two favourite London gins are also Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray, with Gordon's coming in third. You should also try to obtain a bottle of Plymouth-quite a different style to London (and allegedly sampled by the Pilgrim fathers en-route)

http://plymouthgin.com/

It's true the tonic available in the US is less bitter and different than in the UK but the quality varies from brand to brand over here too.The best is made by Schweppes and one secret is always to open a fresh bottle.

When I lived stateside, I quite often added a couple of drops of Angostura bitters to the drink to enhance the aromatics.

I've travelled to India quite a bit and the quality of G&T over there varies tremendously. The tradition was that gin was added to the Malaria 'tonic' to make it more palatable and I would say in general the Indians serve it heavy on the gin with a smaller splash of tonic. With their sweet limes and sugary tonic water the end result is certainly different but not necessarily better. I guess it depends what mood you are in-long drink or stiff drink!

BTW, I also often drink in the summer what is called a 'Harry Lime'- just tonic water and Rose's Lime cordial (or equivalent). Quinine is a great drug for preventing muscle cramps when running or at night, but you need to drink a lot, even of the British stronger variety.
deathrattle is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Good for you to be a G&T fan! They do seem to have gone out of popularity with the yoof of today but they are still a part of the establishment in the City, London.

My two favourite London gins are also Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray, with Gordon's coming in third. You should also try to obtain a bottle of Plymouth-quite a different style to London (and allegedly sampled by the Pilgrim fathers en-route)

http://plymouthgin.com/

It's true the tonic available in the US is less bitter and different than in the UK but the quality varies from brand to brand over here too.The best is made by Schweppes and one secret is always to open a fresh bottle.

When I lived stateside, I quite often added a couple of drops of Angostura bitters to the drink to enhance the aromatics.

I've travelled to India quite a bit and the quality of G&T over there varies tremendously. The tradition was that gin was added to the Malaria 'tonic' to make it more palatable and I would say in general the Indians serve it heavy on the gin with a smaller splash of tonic. With their sweet limes and sugary tonic water the end result is certainly different but not necessarily better. I guess it depends what mood you are in-long drink or stiff drink!

BTW, I also often drink in the summer what is called a 'Harry Lime'- just tonic water and Rose's Lime cordial (or equivalent). Quinine is a great drug for preventing muscle cramps when running or at night, but you need to drink a lot, even of the British stronger variety.
I like Sapphire and Beefeater, but in my martinis--very dry w/ just a hint of vermouth.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^^^^
I did not know that you were old enough to drink
DP is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM
worst mod in BW history
 
ThrillKill's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I prefer sippin' on gin -n- juice.


ThrillKill is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:06 PM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
^^^^
I did not know that you were old enough to drink

Old enough to be your dad and some. Child of the 1940s according to earlier references.
deathrattle is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Sapphire and tonic is my favorite cocktail! Twist of lime helps out quite a bit too! Is there any tonic water that is better than the rest? As far as I have ever tasted all tonics appear to be created near equal.
Shane is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
G&T is my beverage of choice, especially with Brokers or Tanqueray.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:42 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Old enough to be your dad and some. Child of the 1940s according to earlier references.
No wonder! maybe it's all the drugs from the sixties that fried his brains
DP is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
yoseyman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Location: 1313 Mockingbird lane
Posts: 9,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I invented a drink. mix vodka and milk of magnesia

I call it a "Phillips screwdriver"
yoseyman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome