Will a democrat controlled congress cause inflation? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Thing about debt is having a collector.

B
And the law requires that INTEREST be paid FIRST. So Uncle Sam is the Collector of choice for the Interest.

As for the Debt, the Treasury is nice enough to send notes out every six months for folks to renew or automatically deposits cash into your account and sells the debt to someone else. So Treasury is the Collector of choice for the Debt portion.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Without a minimum wage people would be paid what their labor is worth. You know, like a free market.

B
But we don't live in a free market economy. You would really not enjoy that system. It does not play well in any other setting other than "in theory" and parlor discussion.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Without a minimum wage people would be paid what their labor is worth. You know, like a free market.

B
Your all heart. I can see you doing payroll for the retarded kids who sweep the floor at your janitorial service.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
But we don't live in a free market economy. You would really not enjoy that system. It does not play well in any other setting other than "in theory" and parlor discussion.
I acknowledge the accuracy of your statement but reject the implied assumption that the present arrangement is immutable.

B
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Your all heart. I can see you doing payroll for the retarded kids who sweep the floor at your janitorial service.

Wife & I worked for 3 years in university as weekend house-parents for the mentally impaired so that their parents could have a weekend/month away from their dependents. I worked with kids and adults with a variety of exceptionalities, including emotionally disturbed (like Jayhawk) and people even more retarded than Shane.

I would love for jobs to be available for those folks. At the ARC where I worked they had a contract with Ma Bell to disassemble telephones, until they had to stop due to legal action because they worked below minimum wage. (what would take you 5 minutes to disassemble took them weeks of training to disassemble in a half-hour). I don't know where the jobs went but the clients ended-up sitting in the day-room eating snack food and watching Sesame Street re-runs.

B
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
the government should only decide how to spend your fair share of taxes that provide things like roads and defense and the R&D for this internet thingie [a offshoot of the space program] and pay interest on debt [for the T-Notes of your clients nest eggs] for medicare, medicaid, and the other programs that your elected officials voted for and the DEBT run up by The Great Decider.

I agree with some of what you said, but I dont use alot of t-bills to generate dividends, I use high quality stocks that pay high dividends and good quality bonds....but anyway government needs a reduction in size and I can say that President Bush has not helped in that manner as I had hoped.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94
I agree with some of what you said, but I dont use alot of t-bills to generate dividends, I use high quality stocks that pay high dividends and good quality bonds....but anyway government needs a reduction in size and I can say that President Bush has not helped in that manner as I had hoped.
It will be interesting to see just how it goes with the House holding the purse strings [wonder if we will still be able to say that with Pelosi as Speaker?]. With a minimum wage increase pressure will be lessened for a lot of working folks who are living on the very edge. The hope will be to keep the lid on the pot and start balancing the budget as soon as possible. That will help with both T-note and corp bonds in the long run.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
It will be interesting to see just how it goes with the House holding the purse strings [wonder if we will still be able to say that with Pelosi as Speaker?]. With a minimum wage increase pressure will be lessened for a lot of working folks who are living on the very edge. The hope will be to keep the lid on the pot and start balancing the budget as soon as possible. That will help with both T-note and corp bonds in the long run.
It will give the Democrats every reason to pursue fiscal responsibility so that they can cement their claim that the Clinton years were no aberration.

Also, Bush will discover the veto and there is not enough votes in Congress for an override, therefore vetos will stick. That too will lead to better budgeting.

But remember, as with Clinton, the Congress will get no credit for wise spending. That will accrue to the President. It ain't fair but that's how it works.

B
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
It will give the Democrats every reason to pursue fiscal responsibility so that they can cement their claim that the Clinton years were no aberration.

Also, Bush will discover the veto and there is not enough votes in Congress for an override, therefore vetos will stick. That too will lead to better budgeting.

But remember, as with Clinton, the Congress will get no credit for wise spending. That will accrue to the President. It ain't fair but that's how it works.

B
Turnabout is fair play - lots of people have blamed him directly for the national deficit, which implies a signficant deficit of civics awareness.
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Bush will discover the veto and there is not enough votes in Congress for an override, therefore vetos will stick. That too will lead to better budgeting.

B
I was thinking the same thing. All of a sudden, Bush will discover what a 'veto' is...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in