post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Did you do your patriotic duty and stopped them from voting?

LOL... I did vote for one democrat locally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman
LOL... I did vote for one democrat locally
Geez you are human after all
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we may actually send a bunch of demos to the house this time.. the tide has been strong here in the heartland. i am sure the red senator is going back though.

in political asylum
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Indiana is one of the big question marks. Two months ago, it was reported voters there were sick of the Repugs for the first time in history, and were going to vote them out, then two weeks ago it was all back to the R's. I think if things go badly for the GOP in Indiana, we are going to see a rout across the country. If they do well, the Dems will have a mediocre night.

The area to watch is New Mexico. The majority of voters come from familes that were once Mexican, many have Mexican relatives, and many of them have people in their families who are here illegally. What is odd, is that many of them regularly vote Republican, because Hispanic middle class American citizens are actually conservative by nature. Has the GOP pissed them off with all the anti-illegal rhetoric? To find out, the race to watch is this one:

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/5...atherpatsyPoll

This seat has been R since 1968. Yet the incumbent is in the race of her life. If she loses, then look for the GOP to cut the crap on illegals, and look for unexpected seats to fall in CA and TX.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My suspicion is that a lot of people are pretty tweaked about the way things have been going, but will probably select the 'known evil' in favor of the unknown. The Democrats have done an absolutely terrible job - as usual - of telling people what they're for. In places, the election may be a referendum on the Iraq war, but I'm not sure the sentiment is broad and strong enough to cause traditional Republican voters to suddenly switch parties.

My personal prediction is that the changes won't be as dramatic as expected...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if neither the House or Senate swing to the Democrats.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Professor posted a great cartoon a few days ago, which I am unable to find. An elephant had broken a vase, and suggested the Donkey lacked plan, since he was unable to repair the shattered vase.

Sometimes, the mud is so deep that it's hard to see past the first necessary step, that being to turn off the hose.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Professor posted a great cartoon a few days ago, which I am unable to find. An elephant had broken a vase, and suggested the Donkey lacked plan, since he was unable to repair the shattered vase.

Sometimes, the mud is so deep that it's hard to see past the first necessary step, that being to turn off the hose.
lol.. great analogy.

all the races in IN are pretty tight. (districs9) sodrel is my personal most evil but he is not in my district. the last election he beat the opponent (Hill) just by a few hundred votes. same scenario is about to play out this time.. hopefully hill will get it at the end although he ain't no sain either.

(district10) carson (a little bit crazy of a woman) is in a fight with a local businessman. she normally floats through but this time i don't know if it will happen. it's kind of wierd and role reversal on the supporters. the regular blue regiments seem to be supporting her opponent (dickerson.) on the other hand seems some of the "old money" is backing her up. she is loved in the ghetto so we'll see if homies can put down the crack pipe long enough to pull the lever.

overall, it seems no politician is safe here right now (lugar is.) none of them are popular at all, the sentiment is turning anti in general.. hope everybody shows up at the polls though.

this state has been very even keel for many years but the repubs have managed to fuck things up as of late. lot's of missmanagment and waste and self interest may have taken the toll. the thing that has helped over the years is that the state politics have been always tight.. looks like the house here may turn back to the demos too which should help stop some of the madness. it's very close.. we have history of party switching though.. lol

should be interesting.

in political asylum
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar

Here you go.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That's the one -- thanks mcbear!

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could be wrong about this, but seems to me most folks vote for a person at the local/state issues level. There is no real thought about voting for a particular person to make a statement at the national level. Someone like Foley may be a topic, but it doesn't really affect their choice of candidates in their own district.

2006 SLK350
Something Silver

“I’m sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we’re Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration.”
- Hillary Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in