post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
So true. The majority has stopped believing in 'by the people, for the people' and given up on the political process.
Only "a majority..." of kookbergers...

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Only "a majority..." of kookbergers...
I know a majority of 'kookbergers'---they reelected Bush.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
My kids vote in every election, even primaries! I don't think the disenfranchisement argument holds up, except in small and usually young parts of the population.
That is why I said perceived disenfranchisement because we all went through a certain amount of that at 18-21 when we did not feel that the government had our best interest in mind. I still do at times but know the process a bit better now. I believe the bickering on TV and radio has done a gread injustice to the younger generation [those who may not be as well atuned to the political system] as they see nothing but BS flying back and forth with nothing happening.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by felkhound
Here in Arkansas we have early voting in addition to the Tuesday scramble.
It runs for about 2 weeks prior and includes 2 Saturdays. No excuses about not being able to get off work/school/busy.

Now stupid is a different story, if you don't have a clue about the people running or the issues they represent, please stay home.

As the Democrats here say "vote early - vote often", or if your dead and your obit ran in the paper -- your vote is Democrat.
We don't need no stinking voter ID!!!!!
The "stupid" vote bothers me on two levels. I know people on both sides who will go in and just pull the Republican lever or the Democrat lever without consideration for who might be below. Sometimes that is ok but there are other times that a very poor choice is made with that kind of brain dead lever pulling.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
The "stupid" vote bothers me on two levels. I know people on both sides who will go in and just pull the Republican lever or the Democrat lever without consideration for who might be below. Sometimes that is ok but there are other times that a very poor choice is made with that kind of brain dead lever pulling.
"Brain dead lever pulling" sounds like what caused Chernobyl's graphite moderated reactor to burn. Or a euphemism for mindlessly jacking off. Which can make you go blind. In all cases I think we can agree. Brain dead lever pulling is not likely to lead to positive consequences. Jiim
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian80
I know a majority of 'kookbergers'---they reelected Bush.
They are down to a RECORD 35% as of today. I believe the phrase was "worst numbers for a wartime President ever". The James Buchanan Fan Club sent a Pick Me Up Bouquet.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
A large percentage of people who have given up on the political process i.e. low voter turn out, laws that restrict individual freedom and increase the Goverments, and a shift to either extreme of the political spectum with spin that labels critics 'unpatriotic' have usually been historical warning signs. Throw in a real economic downturn and maybe the race card, and you have a mix not all that far removed from 1930's Germany. If you think I am totally off my rocker and way out there, take a moment. It may not be as far out there as we would like to think.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The last paragraph of the present election news re. monies spent got my attention. I would like to see a itemized breakdown on where the money for either party came from

.GOP control of Congress is on the line By CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Writer
17 minutes ago

WASHINGTON
The campaign's final hours brought fresh evidence of the enormous cost.

Spending by the two national parties surged in the final week as Democrats and Republicans invested in television commercials designed to sway the outcome in more than 60 House races and 10 Senate contests. In all, the two parties have spent about $225 million thus far in campaign activities independent of the candidates themselves
Full text: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061107/...n_election_rdp
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
That is why I said perceived disenfranchisement because we all went through a certain amount of that at 18-21 when we did not feel that the government had our best interest in mind. I still do at times but know the process a bit better now. I believe the bickering on TV and radio has done a gread injustice to the younger generation [those who may not be as well atuned to the political system] as they see nothing but BS flying back and forth with nothing happening.
A "...gread [sic] injustice" indeed. And I am sure you are "...well atuned [sic]..."

Now I don't give a hoot about your mistakes, and would not usually mention them, but you made such a big deal about never making any a while back, I just couldn't resist... (.20 cents due!)

Don't believe everything you think
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^^^^

Woohooo- the Popinjay bought a dictionary!!!! Do you consider yourself a game bird now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in