post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
Well, the world's best rapper is white, the world's best golfist is black, Germans want peace on earth, and asian kids don't understand the computer threads..

Welcome to the 21 century.
excellent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My regular laptop is an IBM T42p (StinkPad). It does pretty well - we're about to get T60's with CoreDuo's and the bad-ass graphics card as the T42/T43 have end-of-life'd.

I run XP primarily, but have played with Novell's SLED 10 on a T43. Still not quite 100% ready for prime time, but the XGL stuff is pretty bad ass. The T60 is supposed to include ThinkVantage tools for SLED as well, which should help a lot with wireless, etc.

My home has a little Compaq ProLiant with a Pentium-3 and some SCSI disk - it runs OpenSuse 10 and does all of my internet-based stuff (web server, firewall, routing, NTOP, etc).

I'm fascinated with the prospect of the "Myth" project - if anyone has successfully, recently built a system for use with KnoppMyth using HDTV equipment, I'd love to hear about it. I don't mind building equpiment at all, as I've been doing it for about 20 years now.

Quick geek trivia question - in the early 1990's, Compaq ProLiant servers with 486 processors silkscreened with a tennis racquet logo on each motheboard - what words were printed by the racquet?
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, anyone fancy a spot of trainspotting this weekend?
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a quantum computer.There is a great deal of uncertainty as to whether it will boot-up when switched on.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Just one I built. AMD 64bit CPU running XP-64bit OS.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
Well, the world's best rapper is white, the world's best golfist is black, Germans want peace on earth, and asian kids don't understand the computer threads..

Welcome to the 21 century.
True dat!
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
My regular laptop is an IBM T42p (StinkPad). It does pretty well - we're about to get T60's with CoreDuo's and the bad-ass graphics card as the T42/T43 have end-of-life'd.

I run XP primarily, but have played with Novell's SLED 10 on a T43. Still not quite 100% ready for prime time, but the XGL stuff is pretty bad ass. The T60 is supposed to include ThinkVantage tools for SLED as well, which should help a lot with wireless, etc.

My home has a little Compaq ProLiant with a Pentium-3 and some SCSI disk - it runs OpenSuse 10 and does all of my internet-based stuff (web server, firewall, routing, NTOP, etc).

I'm fascinated with the prospect of the "Myth" project - if anyone has successfully, recently built a system for use with KnoppMyth using HDTV equipment, I'd love to hear about it. I don't mind building equpiment at all, as I've been doing it for about 20 years now.

Quick geek trivia question - in the early 1990's, Compaq ProLiant servers with 486 processors silkscreened with a tennis racquet logo on each motheboard - what words were printed by the racquet?
On your question, we were running PS/2 servers at the time. Now, about the T42/T43. Is you company turning them in? My wife has a T42P for work and a T43 for personal and I am wanting to upgrade my laptop so I am looking for that family of box. They are quick enough for the net while out on the deck. Are they liquidating? My Vaio is getting old and sloppy.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
On your question, we were running PS/2 servers at the time. Now, about the T42/T43. Is you company turning them in? My wife has a T42P for work and a T43 for personal and I am wanting to upgrade my laptop so I am looking for that family of box. They are quick enough for the net while out on the deck. Are they liquidating? My Vaio is getting old and sloppy.
We have all of our laptops on 2 year lease cycles, so they all go back to China where the children who built them can either feed on them, or use them to hack into U.S. financial institutions.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes-Benz C220 Elegance
Send a message via AIM to mgill85258
Oh boy, shouldn't have even seen THIS thread (I sell computers for a living so..)

Anyway, wow can't believe that so many of the people here drive the best cars, but don't use the best computers! Heh.. I have a MacBook Pro, and actually a tech from work is gonna buy it off me for 2 grand and i'm just going to buy myself one of those ginormous 24-inch iMac's...

I've used PC's for maybe 4 or 5 years, and switched to the Mac about 2-3 years ago, it was like night and day. The only regret is not getting one sooner...
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgill85258
Oh boy, shouldn't have even seen THIS thread (I sell computers for a living so..)

Anyway, wow can't believe that so many of the people here drive the best cars, but don't use the best computers! Heh.. I have a MacBook Pro, and actually a tech from work is gonna buy it off me for 2 grand and i'm just going to buy myself one of those ginormous 24-inch iMac's...

I've used PC's for maybe 4 or 5 years, and switched to the Mac about 2-3 years ago, it was like night and day. The only regret is not getting one sooner...
W h a t e v e r.

Talk to me when you can implement audit compliance mechanisms via policy, like forcing a password-protected screensaver to kick in after 15 minutes, on an all-Macintosh network. They may be cool, but they're unmanageable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in