Global Warming - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Do you think it is
Important and must be dealt with now? 12 52.17%
Somewhat important but it's not our problem? 0 0%
It's a natural occurrence and there isn't a dam thing we can do about it? 8 34.78%
It's a Gore invention so he can stay busy? 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to myfirstbenz Send a message via MSN to myfirstbenz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiL
Why should we worry about global warming? It's a natural phenomenon that has been going on for centuries, we just recently speeded it up. Plus, I won't be around to witness the catastrophe of the world's end due to global warming. I could really care less. The job of keeping this planet clean belongs to the "tree huggers" and the Liberals that will tax the hell out of you.

Kamil
Global warming is a natural trend, something like 33 glacial and interglacial periods over the last few million years, however, that was not with the influence of all of the carbon that we are pulling out of the ground and putting in the atmosphere, so it is a bit of an apples an oranges issue.

You wont be around, ha, that is a good excuse not to care about anything. Maybe i'll go poison the drinking water supply of some small village in a remote desert. FUckem, I don't live there.

::Familie von Mercedes::
'00 German Sheperd ("Hans")
'89 300 TE 117k
'92 400E (killed in action)
'68 280 SE/8 (High School Sweetheart)
'95 E320 (mother's)
'60 190D (dad's new project)
'05 A6 Allroad 2.7t (dad's ride)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I again point to the words of the distinguished gentleman from Oklahoma, who so poigniantly and accurately encapsulates the hyperbole surrounding the global warming issue:

http://inhofe.senate.gov/pressreleas...mateupdate.htm
By now, most everyone familiar with the climate change debate knows about the hockey stick graph, constructed by Dr. Michael Mann and colleagues, which shows that temperature in the Northern Hemisphere remained relatively stable over 900 years, then spiked upward in the 20th Century. The hockey-stick graph was featured prominently in the IPCC's Third Assessment Report, published in 2001. The conclusion inferred from the hockey stick is that industrialization, which spawned widespread use of fossil fuels, is causing the planet to warm. I spent considerable time examining this work in my 2003 speech. Because Mann effectively erased the well-known phenomena of the Medieval Warming Period-when, by the way, it was warmer than it is today-and the Little Ice Age, I didn't find it very credible. I find it even less credible now.

But don't take my word for it. Just ask Dr. Hans von Storch, a noted German climate researcher, who, along with colleagues, published a devastating finding in the Sept. 30, 2004 issue of the journal Science. As the authors wrote: "We were able to show in a publication in Science that this [hockey stick] graph contains assumptions that are not permissible. Methodologically it is wrong: Rubbish."

Dr. von Storch and colleagues discovered that the Mann hockey stick had severely underestimated past climate variability. In a commentary on Dr. von Storch's paper, T. J. Osborn and K. R. Briffa, prominent paleo-climatologists from the University of East Anglia, stressed the importance of the findings. As they wrote, "The message of the study by von Storch et al. is that existing reconstructions of the NH [northern hemisphere] temperature of recent centuries may systematically underestimate the true centennial variability of climate" and, "If the true natural variability of NH [northern hemisphere] temperature is indeed greater than is currently accepted, the extent to which recent warming can be viewed as 'unusual' would need to be reassessed." In other words, in obliterating the Medieval Warming Period and the Little Ice Age, Mann's hockey stick just doesn't pass muster.

Dr. von Storch is one of many critics of Michael Mann's hockey stick. To recount just one example, three geophysicists from the University of Utah, in the April 7, 2004 edition of Geophysical Research Letters, concluded that Mann's methods used to create his temperature reconstruction were deeply flawed. In fact, their judgment is harsher than that. As they wrote, Mann's results are "based on using end points in computing changes in an oscillating series" and are " just bad science." I repeat: "just bad science."
Apparently, there are at least 8 tree-huggers who think (like the hand-puppet Tony Blair) that they know better than our fine senator and the work of the scientists he cites. Amazing that they're all here, at this forum. How the mighty have fallen...

Botnst, FeelTheLove, Prana25, Teutone....

Perhaps I'm too harsh...perhaps they just aren't informed. They'll probably hit Google looking for more bad science, or stories contradicting Senator Inhofe's sources. So before anyone counters with slick retorts from CNN or CBS News, neither of which are respected scientific bodies, consider the opinion of another fellow Oklahoman - David Deming - who helps to shatter the "we're all dumb cow farmers" myth as well as reinforce Inhofe's accurate claims of alarmism with regard to global warming:

http://www.normantranscript.com/site...tory_278005204
I'm a geophysicist who has conducted and published climate studies in top-rank scientific journals. My perspective on Sen. Inhofe and the issue of global warming is informed not only by my knowledge of climate science, but also by my studies of the history and philosophy of science.

The media hysteria on global warming has been generated by journalists who don't understand the provisional and uncertain nature of scientific knowledge. Science changes. For years we were told that drinking coffee was bad for our health and would increase our risk for heart disease. But more recent studies have shown that not only is coffee safe for our hearts, it can decrease the risk of liver cancer and is chock full of healthy antioxidants.

I read in the Edmond Sun Oct. 1 an article by an economist which indicated that temperatures are now higher than at any time in the past 12,000 years. The fact that the thermometer wasn't invented until the year 1714 ought to give us pause when evaluating this remarkable claim. Reconstructions of past temperatures are not measurements, but estimates. These estimates are based on innumerable interpretations and uncertain assumptions, all invisible to someone who only reads the headline. Better studies -- completely ignored by the major media -- have shown that late-twentieth-century temperatures are not anomalous or unusually warm.

Around 1996, I became aware of how corrupt and ideologically driven current climate research can be. A major researcher working in the area of climate change confided in me that the factual record needed to be altered so that people would become alarmed over global warming. He said, "We have to get rid of the Medieval Warm Period."

The Medieval Warm Period was a time of unusually warm weather that began around 1000 AD and persisted until a cold period known as the "Little Ice Age" took hold in the 14th and 15th centuries. The warmer climate of the Medieval Warm Period was accompanied by a remarkable flowering of prosperity, knowledge, and art in Europe. But the existence of the Medieval Warm Period was an "inconvenient truth" for true believers in global warming. It needed to be erased from history so that people could become convinced that present day temperatures were truly anomalous. Unfortunately, the prostitution of science to environmental ideology is all too common.
These people say what we all know already. It happened in the 1970's, when different idiots cut from the same cloth proclaimed the coming of another ice age. The media has cried wolf too many times when something juicy has emerged from the ranks of acadameans. We aren't buying it anymore - it costs too much.

Last edited by Qubes; 10-31-2006 at 12:14 PM.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
God Prof! Haven't we beat this stupid issue to death already--in a thousand other posts, at least? The charts all show that it is, w/out a doubt, nearing the end of the world as we know it:

Don't believe everything you think
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 02:06 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I couldn't find the cartoon : "Will the last person to leave Earth please turn off the lights."
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
God Prof! Haven't we beat this stupid issue to death already--in a thousand other posts, at least? The charts all show that it is, w/out a doubt, nearing the end of the world as we know it:
As a matter of fact, there are believed to be more pirates operating now than at any other time in history.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
As a matter of fact, there are believed to be more pirates operating now than at any other time in history.
You have this on good authority, I presume... Where are your data?

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
You have this on good authority, I presume... Where are your data?

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb. 1 Kyodo

Piracy attacks against ships worldwide jumped to a record level last year, up almost 57% from 1999 and four and a half times from a decade ago, the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) said Thursday.

The IMB Piracy Reporting Center, based in Kuala Lumpur, recorded 469 attacks on ships during 2000 against 300 in 1999. In 1991, there were only 107 reported attacks.

IMB believes that a large number of attacks still remain unreported and expects more reports of incidents in 2000 to turn up in the coming months.

A more worrisome trend noted by IMB is that violence has also increased in tandem with the rise in attacks. Pirates now can arrive armed not only with guns, but with rocket-propelled grenades.

More crew were reported injured last year, 99 compared with 24 in 1999.

Advertisement

Those killed rose to 72 from 3 in 1999 and 26 crew are still missing.

Of the 72 killed, 40 died in a single incident.

On Feb. 25 a bomb exploded on board a bus parked inside the ferry, Our Lady of Mediatrix, at Kolambugan, the Philippines, killing 40 people.

Another 17 killed were sailors on board the U.S. destroyer Cole, which was attacked by a terrorist boat loaded with explosives while the ship anchored at Aden.

The others were killed by pirates during high seas armed robberies.

IMB reported six ships were hijacked last year, down from 10 in 1999.

Indonesia remained a hot spot with 119 cases of piracy attacks out of the 469 worldwide.

Due to its proximity to Indonesia, the Malacca Strait, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes and what was once a relatively safe route, is now considered the second most dangerous in the world.

It recorded 75 cases last year. In 1999, only two cases were reported.

As the strait shares a border with Malaysia, Malaysian authorities have stepped up patrols and had captured two groups of pirates operating along the straits.

The pirates were reported to be from Indonesia.

IMB Piracy Reporting Center regional manager Noel Choong said Malaysia and Singapore have done their part in trying to secure the area, but Indonesia remains a problem.

He said Indonesian pirates often encroach into neighboring countries' territory to make a strike before escaping back home, making it difficult for Malaysian or Singapore authorities to pursue them.

''With the Indonesian president (Abdurrahman Wahid) struggling to keep his position, I don't think curbing piracy is on their highest agenda,'' he said.

Piracy attacks in Bangladesh ranked third in the world. From 25 cases reported in 1999, the attacks more than doubled to 55 last year.

Violent attacks in Bangladesh prompted the shipping industry to formally request the IMB-PRC to take action there.

Other danger zones include India with 35 cases and Ecuador and the Red Sea with 13 cases each.

COPYRIGHT 2001 Kyodo News International, Inc. .................................................. .................................................. .....Good sources are the International Maritime Bureau (IMB), Lloyds of London, and: http://eaglespeak.blogspot.com/
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to myfirstbenz Send a message via MSN to myfirstbenz
so if temperatures and pirates are corelated, as well as sea levels.... holy crap, this means "Water World" is going to be reality in say, 5 years from now! I hope I can grow gills like Kevin Costner did behind his ears... that would be a wicked party trick.

::Familie von Mercedes::
'00 German Sheperd ("Hans")
'89 300 TE 117k
'92 400E (killed in action)
'68 280 SE/8 (High School Sweetheart)
'95 E320 (mother's)
'60 190D (dad's new project)
'05 A6 Allroad 2.7t (dad's ride)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
A case of piracy with disturbing implication happened, when a well organized crew hijacked an LPG tanker and familiarized themselves for days with operating and navigating this tanker. They then left without robbing or harming anyone. An LPG tanker with shut off refrigeration turns into a floating hydrogen bomb, whith much larger destructive power than the munitions ship that obliterated Halifax / Nova Scotia in 1917. The new generation of LNG/LPG tankers can be cooled down to 2 degree Celsius and pressurized to 7 bar. See DANGER ZONE
LNG attack could torch parts of Hub http://www.wildcalifornia.org/pages/page-115 . Scary stuff.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
KUALA LUMPUR, Feb. 1 Kyodo

Other danger zones include India with 35 cases and Ecuador and the Red Sea with 13 cases each.

COPYRIGHT 2001 Kyodo News International, Inc. .................................................. .................................................. .....Good sources are the International Maritime Bureau (IMB), Lloyds of London, and: http://eaglespeak.blogspot.com/
KUALA YOUR LUMPUR... Give us something besides that huge Cut and Paste to make your "point."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in