post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to myfirstbenz Send a message via MSN to myfirstbenz
(Thread Starter)
Recent Poll shows Americans STILL believe Govt too big!

I have had a lot of exposure to and time to think about all of the different sides of political debates and parties. I do not dare to make it sound as if I am any type of authority, however I must admit that I am quite disenfranchised with both political parties.

I grew up in a mildly liberal household, while my grandfather was once a prominent Republican Sentator from Montana. I always ask him about politics and I enjoy the conversations we share. In his time in office he was very influential with supporting higher education in his state, something I respect very much. The older I get the more I can appreciate what the Rebulican party used to stand for, but correct me if I am wrong but they seem to be drunk with power, and the numbers prove it, as do their actions. What happened to the true Republican party? Has the Conservative chrisitan movement, or their usery of it ruined them forever? I understand the need for a federal government to provide some services and protection, but it has gotten out of control, to the point where I doubt many americans realize what the original balance of powers and state-federal relationships once stood for.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/...ent/index.html

::Familie von Mercedes::
'00 German Sheperd ("Hans")
'89 300 TE 117k
'92 400E (killed in action)
'68 280 SE/8 (High School Sweetheart)
'95 E320 (mother's)
'60 190D (dad's new project)
'05 A6 Allroad 2.7t (dad's ride)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:50 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Here is an example for you. This dude is running for local office around here as a Republican and his slogan is as follows:
God, Family and Country, in that Order.
I used to be a Republican until it morphed into the party of God.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Here is an example for you. This dude is running for local office around here as a Republican and his slogan is as follows:
God, Family then Country, in that Order.
I used to be a Republican until it morphed into the party of God.

That is exactly the problem, good find!

'89 300 TE 117k
'95 E320 (mother's)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Our gov't is way too big and nosey. But the masses keep voting for whoever says God the most!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
In other news, gravity is still working.

B
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
boy what a downer

'89 300 TE 117k
'95 E320 (mother's)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
I have had a lot of exposure to and time to think about all of the different sides of political debates and parties. I do not dare to make it sound as if I am any type of authority, however I must admit that I am quite disenfranchised with both political parties.

I grew up in a mildly liberal household, while my grandfather was once a prominent Republican Sentator from Montana. I always ask him about politics and I enjoy the conversations we share. In his time in office he was very influential with supporting higher education in his state, something I respect very much. The older I get the more I can appreciate what the Rebulican party used to stand for, but correct me if I am wrong but they seem to be drunk with power, and the numbers prove it, as do their actions. What happened to the true Republican party? Has the Conservative chrisitan movement, or their usery of it ruined them forever? I understand the need for a federal government to provide some services and protection, but it has gotten out of control, to the point where I doubt many americans realize what the original balance of powers and state-federal relationships once stood for.

The answers to your questions is "yes"

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz

Ya nailed it!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Copied from a newspaper article about the Comptroller of the United States.

Bot

-------

People who remember Ross Perot's rants in the 1992 presidential election may think of the federal debt as a problem of the past. But it never really went away after Perot made it an issue, it only took a breather. The federal government actually produced a surplus for a few years during the 1990s, thanks to a booming economy and fiscal restraint imposed by laws that were passed early in the decade. And though the federal debt has grown in dollar terms since 2001, it hasn't grown dramatically relative to the size of the economy.

But that's about to change, thanks to the country's three big entitlement programs - Social Security, Medicaid and especially Medicare. Medicaid and Medicare have grown progressively more expensive as the cost of health care has dramatically outpaced inflation over the past 30 years, a trend that is expected to continue for at least another decade or two.

And with the first baby boomers becoming eligible for Social Security in 2008 and for Medicare in 2011, the expenses of those two programs are about to increase dramatically due to demographic pressures. People are also living longer, which makes any program that provides benefits to retirees more expensive.

Medicare already costs four times as much as it did in 1970, measured as a percentage of the nation's gross domestic product. It currently comprises 13 percent of federal spending; by 2030, the Congressional Budget Office projects it will consume nearly a quarter of the budget.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Oh man, I can't wait, the anticipation is killing me! USA! USA! USA!

'89 300 TE 117k
'95 E320 (mother's)
'84 190E (sold)
'90 300CE (brother's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in