Favorite city and why? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Honolulu without a doubt. On the mainland, Boston.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I've had quite a few people tell me that London is my city. I have yet to figure out what that means, but it's certainly peaked my interest.

I also forgot to mention Dubai. I've been there about 18 times and never got sick of it. Hong Kong used to be good back in the day. I went there before, during and after the transition. It was a nice blend of the exotic and familiar.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prana25
I've had quite a few people tell me that London is my city. I have yet to figure out what that means, but it's certainly peaked my interest.

I also forgot to mention Dubai. I've been there about 18 times and never got sick of it. Hong Kong used to be good back in the day. I went there before, during and after the transition. It was a nice blend of the exotic and familiar.
I have friends in the bizz(chefs) who've worked in Dubai. They would be brought by caravan, miles into the desert where there would be these massive tents with every amenity imaginable. Millions and millions of dolllars(Dirham?) spent on one party.

post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
uugh, where I start?

In order of preference:

- San Francisco;
- Venice;
- Paris;
- Rome;
- Barcelona;
- Antwerp;
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:24 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^^

Antwerp?? You must have met a girl there! ;-)
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Fellow insomniacs take note, Berlin is a great city that never sleeps. Karlovy Vary (former Karlsbad) and Prague are great places, people are friendly and often speak German and/or English (stay away from the Gypsies on Wenceslas square), the old Hotel Prague close to the old clock tower used to be a good place to stay. Amsterdam/Zandvoort, where I used to spend a lot of time. One of my oldest friends lives in Zandvoort. The Dutch language is somewhere between German and English. It's easy to communicate. Most Dutch know English and German. Paris is a beautiful city if you don't have to deal with the French. August is the month when many natives leave the city and a good time to visit. I have an uncle who lives in Aix en Procence. A cosy, laid back city with friendly people I could imagine retiring to. I have known and liked Barcelona when Franco was in power and since I was a teenager. Las Ramblas is a great place to stroll or sit and watch the world go by, and has the best restaurant/paella at the harbor end. Other favorites are Palma de Mallorca and picturesque San Sebastian in the North. Lisbon and Estoril in still affordable Portugal are good places. A writer friend of mine lives north of Alte in a remote area of the Algarve. London is one of the Worlds great cities (don't care for most of the years climate). I miss browsing for books at Foyles. Istanbul is great to visit, but a very rough place under the surface. I know some fourth generation Persians in the bazaar. There is nothing that cannot be gotten with money. I prefer the city of Izmir. Esfahan and Shiraz have to count as two of the Worlds great cities, but with the present leadership, who wants to go there. In the 70's Kabul's chicken street and Otto's inn were one of the stops on the old hippie trail. Goa and its beaches were great before mass tourism.
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
I have friends in the bizz(chefs) who've worked in Dubai. They would be brought by caravan, miles into the desert where there would be these massive tents with every amenity imaginable. Millions and millions of dolllars(Dirham?) spent on one party.
Yes indeed. That amount of money in Dubai is incredible. After a couple days, you stop noticing all the Ferraris, Lambos and Austins. I loved the architecture. One of the main shopping centers is all polished white marble with gold accents. Everything (besides the common living neighborhoods) is spotless. The strangest thing I saw was a guy laying a 8' wide brick sidewalk between two cities. He was about 40 miles outside Dubai in the middle of nowhere just putting bricks down. New level of job security I guess. The project would have to take 20 years with one guy.
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I also enjoy visiting the Islands.........GS, punchline please?..............

post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
One is too few so...

1. Santa Fe
2. Carmel, Ca.
3. Jackson Hole, Wy.
4. Dallas
5. London

My favorite country is Switzerland
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
I also enjoy visiting the Islands.........GS, punchline please?..............
Sorry dude -- gotta letcha down (scratches head in blatance ignorance and shame)

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in