Islamic State of Iraq? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
single issue? you haven't been reading the forums then.. the war is the biggest of them all though, i agree with that.. there are many other issues and i find myself on the oppsite of the shrubco regime on most of them. if you're so inclined to boil all this to one issue it is to put a check on this runaway executive now.

as to bleeps on TV, you don't think majority of BW posters actually research their candidates? i am sure most voters don't but BW isn't most. imho of course.

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs
single issue? you haven't been reading the forums then.. the war is the biggest of them all though, i agree with that.. there are many other issues and i find myself on the oppsite of the shrubco regime on most of them. if you're so inclined to boil all this to one issue it is to put a check on this runaway executive now.

as to bleeps on TV, you don't think majority of BW posters actually research their candidates? i am sure most voters don't but BW isn't most. imho of course.

It's not me that runs 3-8 new threads a day using Iraq to vilify political opponents, using the most uncharitable personal attacks while writing toward a crescendo of increasing vitriol and invective. Does anybody think that minds are changed by insulting other people? Could it be that there is no intention to persuade -- what kind of person behaves like that? The answer is simple: A fanatic.

A fanatic is somebody who sees no need to understand the viewpoint of one's opponent. A fanatic believes that his or her answer to a problem is the only answer worth considering and never entertains the idea that perhaps the other person could have a perspective worthy of consideration. Instead, a fanatic dehumanizes the opposition, classifies them as beneath consideration, and closes the mind to consideration of opposing views.

If you'll take note of the threads I start, the majority are NOT of a political nature. I have never suggested that my answers are the only answers. I would never be so presumptuous as to suppose that my particular beliefs are immutable. Additionally, as a matter of professional training and temperament I am bound to hold my own beliefs subject to test and change.

In this political season, when tempers run high and charity is in short supply, I hope we can gain some insight into the political mind by reflecting on the following item.

Bot

-----------------------------------

"Whiskey Speech" orator Judge "Soggy" Sweat dies

CORINTH - Noah S. "Soggy" Sweat, Jr., a former judge and lawyer whose 1952 "Whiskey Speech" became a monument to political doubletalk, died Friday after a battle with Parkinson's disease.

Sweat, 73, died at a Corinth nursing home. His professional and political career included stints as a legislator, district attorney, circuit court judge and college professor.

Sweat will be remembered most for his "Whiskey Speech" delivered in the Mississippi House in 1952 when lawmakers were debating legalizing liquor.

Liquor was illegal in Mississippi. But the state collected what was called a "black market" tax on it totaling millions of dollars.

Sweat, who was elected to the House in 1947 at the age of 24, served one term and delivered the speech during his last year in office.

"It was a tour de force," Sweat said in a 1989 interview with "The Daily Corinthian" newspaper.

"The banquet that night at the old King Edward Hotel was being held. The senators, their wives, members of the House and others were guests.

"Bose Holburn had heard I was working on a universal approach to the whiskey issue. He called me that night and asked me to get up and take a stand on the issue," Sweat recalled.

In the copyrighted speech, Sweat condemns whiskey as "the Devil's brew, the poison scourge and the bloody monster."

Then he praises alcohol as the "oil of conversation" and "the philosophic wine."

After the classic example of political doublespeak, he concluded by saying, "This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise."

Sweat said when he first gave the speech, the crowd sat in silence.

"When I finished the first half of the speech, there was a tremendous burst of applause. The second half of the speech, after the close of which, the wets all applauded. The drys were as unhappy with the second part of the speech as the wets were with the first half," he said.

Sweat's "Whiskey Speech"
Here's the famous "Whiskey Speech; then-Rep. N.S. "Soggy" Sweat Jr. delivered on April 4, 1952, at a banquet while the prohibition issue was before the Legislature.

"My friends,

"I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

"If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

"But;

"If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

"This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise."

The Clarion Ledger, Saturday, February 24, 1996, Jackson, MS, p. 3B.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Is it necessarily irrational to believe that the importance of a single issue outweighs the importance of all other issues?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

It's irrational to fixate on a single issue; that there is only one perspective that is correct; and any exception from that perspective is, by definition, evil.

B
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

As a generality, I tend to agree, though there are certainly exceptions.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Yep, there are exceptions to damn-near anything that comes from nature or the mind of Man.

B
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar

would threads about repo nabla chapter be another issue or is that somehow related to the war in Iraq? i also recall threads about the illegals, about social security, separation of church and state, big brother etc... is that one issue or are those multiple issues?

in political asylum

Last edited by mzsmbs; 10-22-2006 at 06:14 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs
would threads about repo nabla chapter fbe another issue or is that somehow related to the war in Iraq? i also recall threads about the illegals, about social security, separation of church and state, big brother etc... is that one issue or are those multiple issues?
Yes, it's all about Iraq. Take Iraq off the table and the rest becomes more palatable.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

page scandal is not acceptable under any circumstance. ellegals have nothing to do with it either.. some of the freedom encroachments aka.big bro sure have been hightened somewhat by our involvement in iraq but it all started with 9-11. mora palatable? i don't know but at least we could focus on those instead of wasting energy out in the desert.

how about iran and NK, related to iraq too?

in political asylum
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Iran and N.K. are to some extent, products of the Iraq invasion, yes, and the same fascist pigs that were hell-bent on enriching themselves and their ilk in Iraq are responsible for the Patriot Act, so yes, it's all about Iraq.

Foley is one man, perhaps another didn't take proper steps to deal with him. Immigration is a legitimate and multi-faceted issue -- small fry next to Iraq and all that goes with it.

Again, take Iraq off the table and the rest is the normal kind of every day stuff that regularly fuels politics in this country.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in