Bobcat explosion in Northern California - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
domestic and bobcat crosses are fertile.

"In the USA, there have been reports of hybridisation between bobcats and domestic cats.

The wildcat and the domestic cat are members of the same species and their offspring are fertile. Therefore, strictly speaking, "hybridisation" and "hybrids" are an inappropriate terms and should be replaced by "interbreeding" and "cross breeds".

http://www.bigcats.org/abc/catspecies/hybrids.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
I can't tell you how many cat owners have given us a funny look when we tell them about giving away our Bengal. They all say, "Yeah...all cats are like that..."

My wife gets pissed because she felt guilty about giving away the family pet despite our three daughters insisting that we get rid of it. People don't understand what it was like. Imagine a 3, 5, and 7 year old begging you to give the cat away so we could get a "regular" cat.

They were afraid of the thing when it was 5 months old.

I kept saying no, it will calm down. Then it started going after me. I am not talking about playful nips on the ankle. It would leap on me in the middle of the night and sink it's teeth into my chest. At 5 months old.

I still cried when we gave it away, though.
Man I had a regular cat that did just that when I was a kid. A cousin of mine from Oklahoma showed up one day and my little bubble (another orange one, watch out for the orange ones) jumped from across the room and bit his nipple LOLOLOLOLOL
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Have you ever noticed how long their legs are? All out of proportion to a domestic cat. Tufted ears, stub tail, and walks on stilts. They're also very quiet, but have you ever heard one roar? It'll send chills down your spine. Most folks couldn't tell a bobcat roar from that of a mountain lion.
I haven't heard either. They are both very secretive. I have never seen a mountian lion in the wild despite spending a lot of time in their habitat. I started seeing tracks about ten years ago. After hunting them was banned in California and the population took off.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There's no excuse for Hot To Trot. Kill it instantly.

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

"In the USA, there have been reports of hybridisation between bobcats and domestic cats.

The wildcat and the domestic cat are members of the same species and their offspring are fertile. Therefore, strictly speaking, "hybridisation" and "hybrids" are an inappropriate terms and should be replaced by "interbreeding" and "cross breeds".

I will make no comment regarding the fact that is took a large, African-American male cat to make the Bobcat his biotch.

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:

My link says "myth": http://www.exoticcatz.com/sphybridsbobcat.html

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
I will make no comment regarding the fact that is took a large, African-American male cat to make the Bobcat his biotch.

This now appears to be a simple case of bestiality.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The web pages are all over the place on it. here's an exhaustive (and exhausting) discussion on hybrids. I'm beginning to know far more than I ever wanted to.

B

http://www.messybeast.com/hybrids.htm
http://experts.about.com/e/f/fe/Felid_hybrid.htm
http://dml.cmnh.org/1999Feb/msg00154.html

Last edited by Botnst; 10-17-2006 at 07:25 PM.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
The web pages are all over the place on it. here's an exhaustive (and exhausting) discussion on hybrids. I'm beginning to know far more than I ever wanted to.

B

http://www.messybeast.com/hybrids.htm
Your link essentially agrees with mine -- lots of claims, no evidence = myth. It does state definitively that they will breed, but there has never been a documented instance of offspring. And that certainly doesn't seem to be due to a lack of interest.

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I remember correctly, having bobcats in the area keeps down some of the problems with diseases that deer and other wild animals bring into neighborhoods. Since the bobcats clean themselves like domestics, they don't have the problems. We have both bobcats and [just starting to get]mountain lions back in Eastern Kentucky but the lions are smaller than the Rocky Mtn. ones that I have seen.

And Prof, these ain't your average 30-40 # kitties. Think of them as a furry chainsaw.

I looked at getting a serval at one point [went with Maine Coons] until I talked with some owners who told me about some of their more nocternal habits that will wake up the dead. Great cats but they like to play at night.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in