Air America files for bankruptcy - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
In different circumstances Mr. Murphy would have been considered a homicidal maniac with Napoleon Syndrome.
The same could be said about Sargent Alvin York, but I doubt that anyone would say it to their faces........

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
You can call it what you like, you can spin it any way you want. The facts are simple enough even for a hard-core liberal to understand (I would think so anyway). There aren't enough people that want to listen to that tripe, even when they're not doing anything important, to make LIBERAL talk radio a viable institution, period. You can play your silly games, you can pose your wild theories, you can blame and ridicule the sitting President all you want, but your liberal extremist tactics just don't get much traction even in the liberal areas of the country.
Bush may not be popular according to the polls, there can be little argument about that, but using the Congress as a guideline nobody likes what they do as a whole either, however, when asked about individuals, it's been consistent that the people still like what "THEIR" congressman does. The point is, they may say they don't like Bush, but he still won a second term, and if allowed, he would likely win a third term, whether you like that or not. Who did you put up against him the last time? Neither Lurch nor Mr. Global Warming could cut it, both CLAIMED to be smarter, but neither apparently could prove it to the extent that the American public would buy that bull.......... I think most people want something that you liberals can't give them, a logical argument, not wild nonsense and venom. Maybe if you cut it back a few notches, and brought things back into the realm of reality you might get somewhere, but it sure as hell isn't going to happen anywhere except among yourselves unless you wake up and realize your not the only opinion on the planet.
Can we cull this down to two or three separate topics for response since I obviously hit the spew all semi thought button.

First, talk radio, by nature, has a limited audience. MOST people during the afternoon talk radio period are working at jobs. The only jobs which have talk radio blaring loud enough to hear [and participate in via call-in] the tripe are not the professionals which usually have piped in or ambience music in offices. It is more likely to be shop or retired people that listen to talk radio. That does not tend to fit the profile of the liberal “firebrand” that would take the time to either 1)take three hours to listen to a program or 2) call in to banter with a host on a subject with which they both agree.

It is hard to decipher your second paragraph but, the thought that Bush would “likely” win a third term if allowed is beyond nuts. You need to start READING. It really does help broaden your horizons. And as for everyone liking “their” Congressman, I guess we gotta wait until next month to see how that goes.

As for “I think most people want something that you liberals can't give them, a logical argument, not wild nonsense and venom.” That one just kills me. When you can’t win an argument, say the other side does what you do. Cool. I believe that Rove and Snow and O’really and Rush invented “wild nonsense and venom”. It is a integral part of the Weepublican playbook.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
There are a lot of people out there that can't put into words what they are thinking as quickly or with as much flourish as others, that hardly makes them stupid, less educated, or less intelligent. Whether or not I watched the debate has little effect on how I perceive the parties involved. If you were around when the Nixon/Kennedy debates, you might recall that those who heard the debate on the radio rated Nixon as the hands down winner of that event, while those that saw it on the TV rated Kennedy the winner by a small margin.
Where as you may not have heard Kerry actually say the words, his campaign team and the Democrat Party certainly had no problem claiming he was a stupid man. His collage grades were the equal to Kerry's at all levels, which isn't bad if he was the drunken drug addict that some here like to claim. Got to wonder what he would have done if he were clean and sober.
So what's the problem, you have something negative to say about bowlers too?
I'll only say that had you seen the debate, no doubt would remain, assuming you are capable of setting aside your obvious bias. I was actually embarrassed for him. Your failing here is the assertion that most Americans voted for Bush because they perceived him as the more intelligent candidate. In fact you are assigning qualities to Bush that he loathes. He dislikes intellectuals and boasts about his inability to read, that by his own words. I suggest that most voted for him for reasons other than what you put forth as his highly vaunted intellectual prowess.

Are you now asserting that Kerry bears responsibility for the impression left by those who promote and perceive him? That line of reasoning leaves GW Bush responsible for savaging John McCain and his family in 2000 as the adoptive parent of a brown baby. In a decent country populated by decent people, that would/should have been political suicide.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
It is hard to decipher your second paragraph but, the thought that Bush would “likely” win a third term if allowed is beyond nuts. You need to start READING. It really does help broaden your horizons. And as for everyone liking “their” Congressman, I guess we gotta wait until next month to see how that goes.
Sometimes, you just read or hear something so utterly ludicrous, you can only drop your jaw and laugh. It seems pretty clear to me that most Americans have had it with the current administration's little foray into fascism. At this point, I'm actually more wary of what they might try to do to stay the course in the next couple of years, than any perceived threat beyond our borders.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
It is hard to decipher your second paragraph but, the thought that Bush would “likely” win a third term if allowed is beyond nuts. You need to start READING. ....
As with the other two elections in which he competed, it depends a hell of a lot on the competition.

Had the Democrats presented better candidates than Dubyuh then a funny thing would have happened.

Same with the next presidential election.

B

Clinton war chest surges to 15.8M

Sen. Hillary Clinton isn't exactly cash-starved as she heads into the closing days of her race against her GOP rival, former Yonkers Mayor John Spencer.

New York's junior senator had about $15.8 million on hand at the end of September, according to campaign finance filings released yesterday, and early this month she donated more than $1 million to other Democratic campaign groups.

The Democratic Party star took in about $3.8 million in a three-month period from more than 15,000 individual donors.

Clinton has repeatedly said she's concentrating on reelection to the Senate. But Spencer spokesman Rob Ryan said, "It's obvious: Sen. Clinton is using this money to fund her run for President."

Last edited by Botnst; 10-14-2006 at 11:49 AM.
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Want to make money in commercial radio? Find an audience for your schtick. If there is no audience for your schtick then you will fail, doesn't matter what your backer's funding maybe.

The left failed to learn an important lesson from Rush Limbaugh and still fails to acknowledge it. After all, what could they possibly learn from that crank?

Rush started small and with limited resources. Because of that, he learned from small mistakes and small victories to find exactly what folks driving around in bad traffic want to hear. His is a conservative-populist message. It tells the listener that they are exactly right when they think the intelligentsia and ruling-elites are out to get them. He developed a small, loyal following at a single station and built his audience by carefully adjusting his message as he expanded. He studies the popular press and he studies his audience. If you listen to him take-apart statistical analyses of voters you will understand that he does exactly that kind of ruthless assessment of the analysis of his own audience. He knows his audience better than they know themselves and he keeps right on top of them. That's how he has weathered two failed marriages, drug addiction, scrapes with the law, etc. His message is carefully targeted to his audience and he never loses touch. That attention to his audience is repaid in tremendous personal loyalty to Limbaugh. If you laugh at it and dismiss it, you will never learn from it.

Also, the left failed to learn from FoxNews.

Almost all of the popular news media of all sources is either centrist or to the elft of center in the USA. Also, the vast majority of newspaper and broadcast reporters self-describe as liberal (I have previously posted several university studies that clearly support those assertions). FoxNews intentionally targeted a market segment that was irritated by what they believe to be a generally leftwing bias in American journalism. This was a brilliant marketing strategy that has made FoxNews very profitable. Remember that profit is God.

Finally, the left failed to learn from Public Radio and Public Television.

Mom and Pop leftie do not watch or listen to NPR or PBS. Those are sources for the intelligentsia. Both media are carefully targeted to a highly educated audience. Given a choice between a Limbaugh-style leftie show (or Limbaugh himself), and "Talk of the Nation" (for example), most educated people, left or right, will listen to "Talk of the Nation." Since much of Air American targeted a well-educated audience, they were competing with NPR and NPR kicked Air America's ass.

Talent first, message second, bankroll third. Air America did it EXACTLY the opposite: Huge bankroll had a message they wanted to put into the airwaves and then they went searching for talent. Failure was the only possible outcome.

I still believe that the USA could easily support a leftie talk radio. But it will take an individual as gifted in the medium as Rush Limbaugh. Once that person opens a profitable market then stations in other markets will put that personality on-air in hopes of getting some of that untapped market, too.

B
Very good points on Rush’s marketing. I listened to Rush back in the day when he only had 25 stations on line. He based out of St. Louis and just getting started. Only difference I have is that what you say is about how Rush was about 10-12 years ago. Somewhere he flipped a switch and went from a “rightwing but truthful" broadcast that was targeted toward a very tight audience to a “rightwing but very spun” broadcast that is used to spin information instead of just provide it. The hard spinning and outright ignoring of facts and broadcasting of lies to sell a position is what makes Rush such a danger.

Yes he is very good at his marketing and NO the liberals don’t have a match for him which is good because if you need a liar to sell a point, what good is the point?.

When I hang at the shop next door they have Rush on and I hear the “facts” that are discussed. I listen, look them up and can quickly see what is real and what is BS. That is how I know what Rush is saying, not just an assumption. Unfortunately I hear about 8 hours of Rush a week. It gives me very good information as to what the spin is and what the kiddies on the fora are going to have as talking points for the next week or so.

Only problem I see with your analysis of Foxnews is your assertion that they went for the "center-right" audience, which is correct. Then they decided on the "We Report, You Decide" tag which is SPIN and deceptive and discredits their news from the getgo.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
The same could be said about Sargent Alvin York, but I doubt that anyone would say it to their faces........
Now that is a cheap and moronic shot. Poor execution, Zero points.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
NPR is the only left-wing program that has lasted, and that is only because it is government/taxpayer subsidized. They would not be on the air today if they were not--much the same as PBS could never survive on its own merits.
Actually there is PRI and Pacifica Radio that also have presence in all major markets that cater to left wing interests. They are not government funded and tend to be funded by either listener support or major grants fromt the same folks that provide funding to NPR shows.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quote:
Can we cull this down to two or three separate topics for response since I obviously hit the spew all semi thought button.
Do you want to have an intelligent conversation, or do you just want to trade insults? I can do either or both if required.........

Quote:
First, talk radio, by nature, has a limited audience. MOST people during the afternoon talk radio period are working at jobs. The only jobs which have talk radio blaring loud enough to hear [and participate in via call-in] the tripe are not the professionals which usually have piped in or ambience music in offices. It is more likely to be shop or retired people that listen to talk radio. That does not tend to fit the profile of the liberal “firebrand” that would take the time to either 1)take three hours to listen to a program or 2) call in to banter with a host on a subject with which they both agree.
That is pure speculation on your part. I have heard talk radio in a number of public locations, and it appears to becoming more popular in the DC area all the time. Don't go by what the hillbillies in your neck of the woods are listening to and accept that as the same for the rest of the country.

Quote:
The second paragraph is only hard to decipher if you are having your own personal cognitive problems. It must be reasonably clear, since you obviously got the gist of what it says right off the bat.
You may think it's nuts, but that doesn't make it so. FDR got a third term, and that was unprecedented at that time as well, Congress made sure it doesn't happen again, except for themselve of course.
My horizons are quite broad enough, I have managed something over 20 countries in the last 40 years with multiple visits to most. I have probably met more political personalities then you have, and I know that I have never seen Ted Kennedy sober. That's out of the five times I have either seen or spoken with him.
Whether or not YOU like it, the incumbent has the advantage in office, if you don't realize that maybe it's YOU that needs to broaden his horizons....

Quote:
As for “I think most people want something that you liberals can't give them, a logical argument, not wild nonsense and venom.” That one just kills me. When you can’t win an argument, say the other side does what you do. Cool. I believe that Rove and Snow and O’really and Rush invented “wild nonsense and venom”. It is a integral part of the Weepublican playbook.
If it kills you, why are you still typing? That tactic was developed in it's most recent form by the Democraps, see some of the rhetoric pumped out by those like Shumer, Reid, and others if their ilk, or you could try closer to home by reading some of the lesser quality trash by FTL, DR, Jim Smith, and maybe your own posts here on this site. You are very quick to pick on others for doing the exact same things you do yourselves. Try a new line, this one is worn out.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Now that is a cheap and moronic shot. Poor execution, Zero points.
Do you have a clue as to what you're talking about?

Vladimir Putin

Paul Harvey 8/31/94

Justice Clarence Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in