post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CNN & Global Warming

Excerpt of This Morning’s Exchange between Senator Inhofe and CNN newsman Miles O’Brien:

INHOFE: I heard your piece [CNN’s March 2006 Global Warming Special called ‘Melting Point’] on that, and you did a very excellent piece. You scared a lot of people when you did your special.

< >

INHOFE: And I wonder also, Miles, it wasn't long ago -- you've got to keep everyone hysterical all the time. You were the one that said another ice age is coming just 12 years ago.

O'BRIEN: I said that? I didn't say that.

INHOFE: You didn't say that. Let me quote you...

O'BRIEN: No, no, no. I'd be willing to tell you there are stories like that. But there's not...

(CROSSTALK)

INHOFE: ... quote you so I'll be accurate. I don't want to be inaccurate.

O'BRIEN: All right, go ahead.

INHOFE: You said, in talking about a shift that was coming -- you said, "If the Gulf Stream were to shift again, the British Isles could be engulfed in polar ice and Europe's climate could become frigid. [From CNN Transcript titled Scientists Research the Rapidity of the Ice Age dated December 19, 1992.]" That's another scary story.

O'BRIEN: But that also is a potential outgrowth of global warming when you talk about the ocean currents being arrested. This is "The Day After Tomorrow" scenario that we're talking about.

(CROSSTALK)

< >

What follows is the full transcript of the 8:40 am eastern exchange between Senator Inhofe and Miles O’Brien on CNN this morning:

Transcript: CNN American Morning – October 3, 2006

CNN Anchor Miles O’Brien:

Senator James Inhofe:

TRANSCRIPT October 03, 2006 U.S. SENATOR JAMES INHOFE (R-OK) IS INTERVIEWED ON CNN'S "AMERICAN MORNING"

SENATOR INHOFE IS INTERVIEWED ON CNN'S "AMERICAN MORNING"

OCTOBER 3, 2006

SPEAKERS: U.S. SENATOR JAMES INHOFE (R-OK)

MILES O'BRIEN, CNN ANCHOR

O'BRIEN: Let's change the political climate a little and talk about the debate over global warming. Did you hear about that speech on the Senate floor last week where one senator said it was all a hoax?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

INHOFE: The American people have been served up an unprecedented parade of environmental alarmism by the media.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

O'BRIEN: Nothing new from Oklahoma Republican Jim Inhofe, who has long voiced skepticism about global warming. Our piece about his speech, which raised some skepticism about the senator's claims, prompted him to blast us several times this past week. So now it is time to hear from him directly.

Senator Inhofe joins us from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Senator, good to have you with us.

INHOFE: Well, Miles, it's nice to be with you. I know you don’t believe it, but it is nice to be with you.

O'BRIEN: It's a pleasure having you here.

INHOFE: You know why? You always smile. So many of these extremists out there, they are mad all the time. But you're not; you smile. In fact, when you're cutting my guts out for two minutes...

(LAUGHTER)

... last week, you smiled all the way through it. And I appreciate that.

O'BRIEN: Well, yes, we got to keep it all in perspective.

Let's talk about global warming. Is it a hoax?

INHOFE: First of all, things are getting warmer. We understand that. We're going through a warming period. No one's denying that. The question is, is it due to man-made gases? And it's not.

Now, some areas are not going through a warming period. One of the things that you said -- I have science on my side. On the Antarctic, for example, that it's actually gaining ice and it’s getting cooler. That comes from the National Snow and Ice Data Center. I documented all these things. The Arctic was actually warmer in the 1930s than it is today. That comes from the International Arctic Research Center.

And the Harvard Center for Astrophysics agrees with us -- or with me when I say that they've come to the conclusion that in the 15th century the world was warmer -- that was during the medieval warming period -- than it is today.

So those things are true. However, the big question here is, is it man-made gases that have anything to do with global warming or with the climate change? And I say that it's not. And that's the big issue there.

O'BRIEN: All right, lots to go through there. Let's talk about the Antarctic ice sheet for just a moment, if we could.

INHOFE: Yes.

O'BRIEN: There's a study you raise -- I think it goes back to 2002 -- but there's a 2005 study I'd like to cite for you. It comes from the British Antarctic Survey and it contradicts some previous assertions. It says this: "The massive West Antarctic ice sheet, previously assumed to be stable, is starting to collapse. Glaciers on the Antarctic peninsula which protrudes from the continent to the north were already known to be retreating."

What do you say to that?

INHOFE: Well, I say -- I quoted a good scientific source and you have too.

One of the things that is happening is that in some areas -- and I think Greenland's a good example -- it's actually getting thicker in the middle, but it's calving -- the term that they use -- on the outside. So the overall ice cap is getting thicker but it's getting thinner on the outside.

Now, keep in mind, this has been going on now for...

more at: http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=264308
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks to my Senator for doing what must be done - boiling down the BS to precise, easily digestible facts. The best ones that didn't make your post:
INHOFE: A guy named Tom Wiggly (ph) -- you know who he was -- he’s the one that was -- the National Center for Science Research. Now, in the event that you're right and I'm wrong -- let's say that it's due to man-made gases, anthropogenic gases -- CO2 or methane, if that is true, if every developed nation signed up on the Kyoto treaty and complied with it, it would only reduce the Earth's temperature by 6/100 of a degree in 50 years.

But keep in mind, CO2 -- if everyone complied with the Kyoto treaty, it would only decrease the temperature in 50 years by 6/100 of a degree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in