LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcar126
Bicycle riders (spandex suits) that ride on the side of the roads around were I live here in Cave Creek Arizona literally risk their lives stupidly. With most cars traveling between 50mph and 60mph and coming within inches of hitting them from behind, most would be dead without even realizing they had been hit. When there is a bike lane, I see most of these morons riding two abreast. Is this hobby really worth the risk of dying?

If one of these suicidal bike riders swerves even slightly into the path of MY car and I hit them? I won't feel bad. They knew the risks and took those risks anyway.

Comments?
Congrats! You have turned around a true victim story to the point where you are the victim and the guy you hit is the aggressor. Wow. No wonder the republican spin machine works on you. Twisted.

On another note I used to race autos alot when young. Really race. But as I have gotten older with my pals we all start to gain weight and to counter this we now bike ride about 25 times a yr. After the first few rides we realized that riding a bike is more dangerous than racing autos. Doh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Don't flatter yourself. Your entitlement to the road does not come vis-a-vis payment of taxes. You're thinking of tollways, which I'm pretty sure don't allow bicyclists.

You're MORE THAN WELCOME to bike on the road if you can obey ALL of the RULES of the road. That means maintaining a safe speed (a.k.a the basic speed rule), being able to stop fast enough, accelerate fast enough, make quick adjustments to your course to avoid sudden obstacles (like squirrels or lumber falling off the back of a truck), etc., and otherwise not be a fucking menace to people who have someplace to GO that REQUIRES them to drive on a road.

There are lots of places all over the country designated specifically for bicyclists that disallow motorized vehicles of any kind. Go there until you can pedal your ass at 45 miles an hour. At the VERY LEAST, if you want to take a 'morning constitutional' on your bike, make sure you're off the road BEFORE RUSH HOUR STARTS.
yes toll ways do not allow bycicles or pedestrians.. however, my paying taxes does entitle me to use the damn road in any vehicle i want (legal one.) some places don't have bike lanes, as is the case here so one has to use the road.. i know quite a few folks that commute to work on a bike so rush hour is when they are on the road too.. so, they have someplace to go too.. just deal with it and share the fucking road, ok?

in political asylum
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcar126
WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD you're dreaming!

You're going to sue me if YOU swerve into MY lane and you get hurt? Good luck, because YOU would be at fault.

Read my post again if you can comprehend it (doubtful).

As far as any threat goes... Did you know that YOU can be sued for that remark you made to me? I've saved your post as a screen shot.

Make another threat to me...

wow,, thinckness is prevelant on here as of late.. if you hit me, YOU are at fault.. no matter what your fucking excuse may be.. tell it to the judge when he is suspending your driving privelages.. bikes have right of way as do the peds. look it up in your state's DL book.. obviously you never read it or your memory is way short.

in political asylum
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Just a reminder, that dude that attacked me with his truck did it in a park and drove into the bike lane. Earlier he had heard me at the clubhouse talking to a bunch of my friends in Italian and French so his move was "political" and was God's will and wishes as he stated to the cops. It did not dawn on him that an American would speak in a foreign language so maybe I was one of those terrorists and he had to get me.
He ambushed me later at a turn against a guardrail near the lake. Unfortunately he did not count on me beating the crap out of him on the spot and call the police to take him in (oh this was not Baltimore, because if it was there will be a no show).
The bottom line is there are people that not only think they own the road but they actually think they can use their vehicles to exercise their beliefs. So Mr. Starcar, take your anger to a shooting range and go show off how much of a patriot you are by aiming at clay pigeons instead of contemplating an exercise in futility like that poor idiot did.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Just a reminder, that dude that attacked me with his truck did it in a park and drove into the bike lane. Earlier he had heard me at the clubhouse talking to a bunch of my friends in Italian and French so his move was "political" and was God's will and wishes as he stated to the cops. It did not dawn on him that an American would speak in a foreign language so maybe I was one of those terrorists and he had to get me.
He ambushed me later at a turn against a guardrail near the lake. Unfortunately he did not count on me beating the crap out of him on the spot and call the police to take him in (oh this was not Baltimore, because if it was there will be a no show).
The bottom line is there are people that not only think they own the road but they actually think they can use their vehicles to exercise their beliefs. So Mr. Starcar, take your anger to a shooting range and go show off how much of a patriot you are by aiming at clay pigeons instead of contemplating an exercise in futility like that poor idiot did.
Holy shit!
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 03:36 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The Me, Me generation, inconsiderate of others, seems to be in full swing. Who would be next, the pedestrian who walks the shoulder of a road without a sidewalk? I used to race both road and track bicycles (track) as a youth. Now in my 50's, I still have a mountain and a road racing bike. This thread encouraged me to dust off the bikes and cycle again.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs
wow,, thinckness is prevelant on here as of late.. if you hit me, YOU are at fault.. no matter what your fucking excuse may be.. tell it to the judge when he is suspending your driving privelages.. bikes have right of way as do the peds. look it up in your state's DL book.. obviously you never read it or your memory is way short.
The laws, or rather the 'rules of the road', also say that you're supposed to follow the basic speed rule, which is to say that you should always pace those in front of you by not traveling too fast, and pace those behind you by not traveling too slow. You're supposed to stop at red lights. You're supposed to signal when you turn. You're supposed to yield right of way. You're supposed to stay on the marked road. If YOU'RE capable of following all of these rules, my friend, you are in a very very small minority.

The bottom line is that thse laws need to be changed - eliminated at worst, heavily modified to be localized where bikes and cars can safely share the road at best.

I rode a 12 speed about 10 miles a day or more when I was a kid. Everyone in my family owns a bike. None of us ride them on the streets. We ride them in our very lightly traveled neighborhood (on sidewalks if necessary and when safe), or we load them up and take them to bike trails in our town. If my only way to commute is via bicycle, I have bigger problems, but people who ride to work will typically be urbanites where the city streets are wide and with sidewalks. The people who cause the problems are those who take a leisurely 20mph pace on two-lane roads with 50mph speed limits, no shoulders, and few passing zones.

You sound like you'd rather be right than healthy or alive, which I find to be an absolutely idiotic point of view. Being "right" does not ease the pain of 40 broken bones when something happens to your bike, causing you to get run over by vehicles that cannot stop as fast as you just did. Your failure to exercise sound judgement should not be my problem. Like any liberty, you're free to exercise it as long as you do not endanger or impose upon another unnecessarily.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:20 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't think anyone here is advocating that we use bikes in dangerous ways. You are painting everyone as if we don't obey the rules and cycle in four lane highways or something.
There are so many dangerous people with cars that I don't even dare ride my bike on the street in the city. I have seen some hit and runs and frankly car drivers and specifically SUV drivers are careless in many instances when it comes to bicycles or even motorcycles. Hell even pedestrians are at risk.
My younger son was hit by a car while holding my wife's hand and crossing the street with FULL right of way. What did the car driver do? Take off, that's what he did, leaving my kid in a coma for three days.
The bottom line the responsibility is really on the one with the vehicle that can inflict more damage. That person must obey the laws and must take responsibility even more. So far in our culture the one that sits higher than anyone commandeering a mountain of steel seems to think he will prevail and get away with it.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
The laws, or rather the 'rules of the road', also say that you're supposed to follow the basic speed rule, which is to say that you should always pace those in front of you by not traveling too fast, and pace those behind you by not traveling too slow. You're supposed to stop at red lights. You're supposed to signal when you turn. You're supposed to yield right of way. You're supposed to stay on the marked road. If YOU'RE capable of following all of these rules, my friend, you are in a very very small minority.

The bottom line is that thse laws need to be changed - eliminated at worst, heavily modified to be localized where bikes and cars can safely share the road at best.

I rode a 12 speed about 10 miles a day or more when I was a kid. Everyone in my family owns a bike. None of us ride them on the streets. We ride them in our very lightly traveled neighborhood (on sidewalks if necessary and when safe), or we load them up and take them to bike trails in our town. If my only way to commute is via bicycle, I have bigger problems, but people who ride to work will typically be urbanites where the city streets are wide and with sidewalks. The people who cause the problems are those who take a leisurely 20mph pace on two-lane roads with 50mph speed limits, no shoulders, and few passing zones.

You sound like you'd rather be right than healthy or alive, which I find to be an absolutely idiotic point of view. Being "right" does not ease the pain of 40 broken bones when something happens to your bike, causing you to get run over by vehicles that cannot stop as fast as you just did. Your failure to exercise sound judgement should not be my problem. Like any liberty, you're free to exercise it as long as you do not endanger or impose upon another unnecessarily.

well, i tell you one thing, i have never had a real issue when on the bike, city or country nor have i ever had an issue with bikers when behind a wheel of a car.. but that's just me, i guess.

and i guess, comparingly, folks around here must drive pretty well overall because most will use the signals and all that stuff.. heck, around here people stop and help you if you're ever broken down or whatever.. i couldn't deal with your peeps from the sounds of it. and please don't move here as i don't need to be endangered. thanks.

in political asylum
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Premium Member
My S*Class attitude vis-a-vis bikers:
Experienced and skilled drivers can avoid accidents with cyclists, no matter what they're driving. However, it get more difficult the larger the vehicle. I am always extra careful around cyclists, especially those who want to show-off their acrobatic skills.

*S stands for Safe not Supercilious.

Mi$ter Right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in