post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush "People are poor because they are lazy."

When called to discuss how the Depression affected people, Bush answered: "Look. People are poor because they are lazy." A professor said Bush "came across as totally lacking compassion, with no sense of history, completely devoid of social responsibility and unconcerned with the welfare of others."

Kitty Kelley makes George W. Bush look bad. But did she really get the goods?

Kelley, known for her gossipy best-selling biographies of Frank Sinatra and Nancy Reagan, savages Bush -- and the entire Bush clan -- in The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty.

Published by Doubleday Broadway and on sale today, the book dives into the mud of the Bush family's private lives. Kelley reports, among other bits of dirt, that Bush snorted cocaine well into adulthood, that his wife, Laura, smoked and sold marijuana in college, that the president may have been unfaithful to Laura, and that the president's mother objected to his engagement as a young man to a girl whose stepfather was Jewish.

The book relies heavily on anonymous or secondary sources for many of the juiciest allegations, however, and one top source -- Sharon Bush, the former wife of presidential brother Neil Bush -- has flatly denied she said the things attributed to her.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the book, already a best-seller on Amazon.com, is "garbage that was discredited, disavowed and dismissed years ago."

Here are the highlights -- or perhaps lowlights -- on President Bush:

Party animal

Kelley anonymously quotes two of Bush's former classmates at Yale as saying he snorted cocaine.

One classmate claimed to have sold cocaine to Bush. The second recalled "doing coke" with Bush.

What troubled other classmates more than the drugs, however, was the future president's generally unimpressive character.

"Georgie, as we called him then, has absolutely no intellectual curiosity about anything," said Tom Wilner, a 1966 Yale grad. "He wasn't interested in ideas or books or causes. He didn't travel; he didn't read the newspapers; he didn't watch the news; he didn't go to movies."

Kelley goes on to describe a couple more decades of carousing by Bush. Sources who worked with him on a Senate campaign in Alabama in 1972 said he "liked to sneak out back for a joint of marijuana or into the bathroom for a line of cocaine." He would show up late for work, "prop his cowboy boots on a desk, and start bragging about how much he had drank the night before." When drunk, they said, he was "bitingly sarcastic and pugnacious."

Kelley quotes Bush's former sister-in-law, Sharon Bush, as saying Bush snorted cocaine with one of his brothers at Camp David when his father was president. "Not once," she quotes Sharon as saying, "but many times."

Anti-Semitism alleged

During his junior year at Yale, Bush became engaged to his girlfriend in Houston, Cathryn Lee Wolfman. Their engagement was announced in the Houston Chronicle: "Congressman's Son to Wed Cathy Wolfman." But Bush's mother, Barbara, was "rankled" that Wolfman's stepfather was Jewish, a source told Kelley.

"She couldn't abide the fact that Cathryn's stepfather was Jewish," said former family friend Cody Shearer. "'There'll be no Jews in our family,' she said."

The first lady

At Southern Methodist University in 1968, the future Laura Bush was known as "a go-to girl for dime bags of marijuana," Kelley writes.

"She not only smoked dope," claims Robert Nash, described by Kelley as an Austin public relations man who was a "friend of many" of Laura's classmates. "But she sold dope."

Early in their marriage, Kelley writes, Bush and Laura would fly down to the island of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands and "enjoy heavy pot-smoking parties."

Mistress rumors

During Bush's first campaign for president, Kelley writes, a woman in Austin claimed to have been a call girl during Bush's days as a Midland, Texas, oilman. "Supposedly, she was 'the other woman' in his life, or one of them,' Peck Young, an Austin political consultant, told Kelley. "She set herself up in a hotel here and was prepared to sell her story to the highest bidder. . . .Word got around town, and she claimed she got a visit from some men who made her realize it was better to turn tricks in Midland than to stop breathing."

Running for president

His mother called him the "chosen one." But his father was "dumbfounded" by the groundswell of support for his son in the runup to the 2000 election.

The elder Bush was "totally perplexed as he watched his party go down on bended knee to proffer its nomination," Kelley writes. "He was the last to recognize George's success in retail politics. This was the son he least expected to succeed in anything, let alone national politics."

A club for whites only

Bush belonged to the Rainbo Club, an "exclusive hideaway in East Texas for Dallas millionaires," Kelley writes.

Bush was party to a lawsuit filed by a former employee who challenged his firing. In a deposition, Bush admitted the club was "whites only."

Out of his league at Harvard

At Harvard Business School, class of 1975, Bush would sit in the back, "chewing tobacco and spitting it into a dirty paper cup," recalled one unidentified classmate.

Another classmate, Steve Arbeit, said Bush was "so inarticulate it was frightening. The reason I say that he is dumber than dumb is not that I saw his test scores or his grades; it's the comments he made in the classes we had together that scared me."

Macroeconomics professor Yoshi Tsurumi recalled showing the Depression-era movie "Grapes of Wrath" to help the class empathize with the poor. Bush asked, "Why are you going to show us that Commie movie?"

When Tsurumi called on Bush to discuss how the Depression affected people, Bush answered: "Look. People are poor because they are lazy." Tsurumi said Bush "came across as totally lacking compassion, with no sense of history, completely devoid of social responsibility and unconcerned with the welfare of others."

Dodging Vietnam

In 1968, Bush's father placed a call to a businessman pal, who called an influential Texan pol, who called another guy who called another guy. Result: Bush got into the Texas National Guard and avoided going to Vietnam.

Although Bush scored the lowest possible passing grade on pilot aptitude, he was accepted into the Air National Guard.

"I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment," Kelley quotes Bush as saying. "Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes." (Kelley's endnotes do not specify where she got this quote.)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect...-kelley14.html

Thanks, D.

2006 ML 350 - Black, Appearance Package, Navigation System, Entertainment Package, Sunroof Package, Heated Seats, IPod Integration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Well, people are poor because they are lazy aren't they?
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:04 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well Kitty Kelly is a money-grubbing gunt, and her books have never been mistaken for impartial documentation.
If the guy got wasted all the time and then cleaned up his act, more power to him.
The part that I find disturbing and tend to believe is his apathy and worldly ignorance which he seems to wear on his sleeve. This down home country-boy routine has served him well in the polls but he is constantly "out-thunk" by every other world leader including those with terrorist ties. In a three way debate with Clinton, Carter and himself, I think he'd spend most of his alloted time moving his index finger up and down his lips and making a beebeebeebeebeebee sound.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
...In a three way debate with Clinton, Carter and himself, I think he'd spend most of his alloted time moving his index finger up and down his lips and making a beebeebeebeebeebee sound.
I think he'd shrug his shoulders, mention that he found Jimmy pretentious and Bill bombastic and he really wouldn't care to waste his time listening to them tell each other how important they are.

Then he'd go read a comic or Bible and eat a pretzel. Slowly.

Bot
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:09 PM
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I think he'd shrug his shoulders, mention that he found Jimmy "pretentious" and Bill "bombastic" and he really wouldn't care to waste his time listening to them tell each other how important they are.

Then he'd go read a comic or Bible and eat a pretzel. Slowly.

Bot
.Ah-hahahaha!!!

post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
"Poor people" is an abstract liberal emotion that can't be discussed rationally.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you pretend real real hard, then...

If liberals would pretend, like conservatives, that poor people didn't exist, then they would just simply go away.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
"Poor people" is an abstract liberal emotion that can't be discussed rationally.

post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
I don't deny that liberals like to group individuals into abstract groups. I am not hiding from the idiocy of the left's visdion of "the poor" as a static pool of hapless dolts.

I was poor. Now I am not.

That doesn't fit the liberal definition of "the poor".
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
1. MOST poor people do not think that their present economic condition is linked to their work ethics, or lack thereof.
2. MOST poor people think they are that way because those more 'fortunate' than they have received and have too much.
3. MOST poor people think that all success is 'luck', thereby justifying the word 'fortunate'. They think if they 'wait around' and play the lottery or wait for a rich uncle to die, their ship will come in.
4. MOST poor people think they are victims. There are a legitimate few who are but the masses think that one's bad luck is another's good excuse.

There are legitamate poor people. However, the vast majority are poor by choice. It requires hard work to succeed, a priciple that has long been lost and replaced with welfare and food coupons.
I know just as many poor people as I do successful ones. The ones I know have one thing in common: They do just enough to get by and when their short term goal has been met, they slack off until the next 'crisis'. I know a roofer who only works when his beer money runs out. Screw the rent and utilities. He will not work until he runs out of money. The dude could knock down 60 grand a year working 3-4 days per week.

So, in conclusion: Are poor people lazy? Yes, most of them are.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in