Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
U.S. car dealership stands by its 'jihad' ad

CTV - Sep. 23 2006 4:16 PM ET ..... Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A car dealership's tongue-in-cheek radio advertisement declaring "a jihad on the automotive market,'' will not be changed, the company said, despite drawing sharp criticism that the ad's content is offensive to Muslims.

Several stations rejected the spot from Dennis Mitsubishi, which boasts that sales representatives wearing "burqas'' -- the head-to-toe traditional dress for some Islamic women -- will sell vehicles that can "comfortably seat 12 jihadists in the back.''

Jihad is a holy war waged by Muslims in defence of Islam.

"We firmly believe the ad does not in any way disrespect any religion or culture, but we feel, I guess, that maybe poking a little fun at radical extremists is fair game,'' dealership president Keith Dennis said on Saturday. "It was our intention to craft something around some of the buzzwords of the day and give everyone a good chuckle and be a little bit of a tension reliever.''

While Dennis defended the ad as a harmless attempt to bring levity to a serious situation, the Columbus chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations called it disrespectful.

"Using that as a promotional pitch when so many are dying from the criminal activity of suicide bombers, that's not funny,'' chapter president Asma Mobin-Uddin said. "I don't think it's appropriate when it causes real pain. It exploits or promotes misunderstanding in terms already misunderstood or misused.''

In the ad, Dennis talks about "launching a jihad on the automotive market.''

"Our prices are lower than the evil-doers' every day. Just ask the Pope!'' the ad says. "Friday is fatwa Friday, with free rubber swords for the kiddies.''

A fatwa is a religious edict.

Some radio stations are balking at the dealership's attempt to poke fun at extremists.

"With no disrespect to their creativity or their desire to build business, everything we're about is promoting the values of diversity. To air things of that sort would go against our mission statement,'' said Jeff Wilson, general manager of three Radio One stations in Columbus.

The dealership claims nothing in the ad is intended to promote a negative stereotype of Islam. A group that previewed the ad didn't raise any objections, although no one from the group was Muslim, Dennis said.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like comedy there is always a little truth in advertising.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I thought it was funny as sh!t, if a bit insensitive.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
CAIR is offended when muslims are depicted as being violent.

Did we hear anything out of them when Nick Berg was beheaded?

Or does that fall below their thresh-hold for outrage?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Fatwa Friday is advertising genius…

As for the rest of it I can only once again recommend our Muslim friends kindly depress the lighten up button.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
I would buy a car from this dealership in a second. Even if they sold Yugo's, I'd still buy one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 10:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

What if they sold S-classes, though?

I'm sure that would give you pause....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:17 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The German Quandt Family sold in 1974 through Dresdner Bank some of their Mercedes Benz shares to Kuwait i.e. the ruling Sabah al Sabah family. To this day Kuwait owns 7% of Daimler Chrysler. BTW, when the Italian Fiat Group needed cash in the 1980's, it sold 14% of Fiat to Libya's Muhammar Gaddafi. Much to Fiat's embarrassment, he has so far refused to sell back the shares. Fiat owns Ferrari and Maserati.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:33 AM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Seems Fatwas are easy to come by, everbody can have 1 issued.......

Or in this case, "indeed I shall be fatwa-ing in your general direction my good sir.." as you bend your head side to side.

In keeping with the "holy month" we have a nice Fatwa-for-cash scandal...

Fatwas are iSlamic religious rulings, not just death sentences for hapless writers like Salman Rushdie but also directives about the minutiae of daily life. And clerics seem to derive their mandate to issue fatwas from the fact that they issue fatwas. There is no central organization to ensure fatwa quality, relevance, or even sanity.

Last week, many muzzies in India, like their counterparts around the world, gathered on the streets to burn effigies of the Pope and shout slogans denouncing him for his remarks on iSlam and violence. Even before that fully died out, however, a new controversy erupted — one that has turned muzzie ire against some of their own local clerics.

India’s “cash-for-fatwas” scandal broke out last weekend when a TV channel broadcast a sting operation that showed several Indian muzzie clerics taking, or demanding, bribes in return for issuing fatwas. The bribes, some of which were as low as $60, were offered by undercover reporters wearing hidden cameras over a period of six weeks. In return for the cash, the clerics then handed out any type of fatwa requested.

Among the decrees issued by the fatwas: that muzzies are not allowed to use credit cards, double beds, or camera-equipped cell phones, and should not act in films, donate their organs, or teach their children English. One cleric issued a fatwa against watching TV; another issued a fatwa in support of watching TV.

Adding to the shock in India, home to the world’s third-largest Muslim population (approximately 150 million), is that some of the clerics apparently caught in the sting operation teach at important institutions — one belongs to India’s most famous Islamic seminary, the Darul Uloom at Deoband.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
What if they sold S-classes, though?

I'm sure that would give you pause....

I'd still buy one, and then thank the owner for not being such a PC douche bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in