Is Chavez the new rightwing bogeyman for the ole Swift Boat? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is Chavez the new rightwing bogeyman for the ole Swift Boat?

Well, it's Swift Boat time, and its time to get out the old smear brush. The elections are coming up, and now the rightwing posters on this board are calling true American Democrats on this board "traitors", while Dave The Werewolf Guy starts a thread to tie some South American nut case around the Democrats necks. Smear and fear, that's the way they operate. The issues are a disaster for them as we pour 1.9 billion a week into Iraq while nothing is done about our border, while millions of Americans go without healthcare and millions more worry about their jobs heading for China. Why talk about the resurgance of the Taliban or the fact that real wages are declining when you can make stupid strawman attacks based on smears and lies? Maybe if you do that, people won't notice that your congressmen are pleading guilty and your president is being condemned by the world. Come on guys, lets all watch you run Chavez for Congress as you smear your fellow Americans with lies. That's about all you have left.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
^^popcorn or pizza for this round?^^
post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
let's role the credits first!

It's the same tactics. Make up a bunch of lies. Talk only about that subject, and act as if the lies are truth. Chavez is Democrat. Murtha is a traitor. Cindy Sheehan is a dire threat to the nation. Democrats are on the side of terrorists. All of it utter, total balderdash. But hey, you don't have to talk about the truth if you are always talking about lies, do you?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 09-21-2006 at 07:54 PM.
post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with ALL that you have to say but their tactics work!. Its utterly impossible to not see the wrong that is the Bush administration but all they have to do is sell fear (and it sells real fucking well), tell more lies like they did about Kerry and voila; they won again. Next time around wont be as easy though, at least that what I try to convince myself.
post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Yeah, ol' Chavez is working with Bush on this one. It's the long-term 'strategery.'

You guys have got to figure out a consistent strategy: Is Bush the Genius Prince of Darkness or is he the clown that couldn't shoot stratight. I get a whiplash from your inconsistency.

I'm guessing that the Repos are wetting themselves with gratitude that Chavez and Amididjiridoo say things that Democrats say. Look for split-screen TV ads with Pelosi or Kirk Vining on one side and Chavez or Amididjiridoo on the other, all flushed with torrid invective, looking like little Hitlers.
Bot

Last edited by Botnst; 09-22-2006 at 06:41 AM.
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Whatever your opinions of '43', keep in mind that no matter what, he's gone on '08. The question then becomes, would you be open enough to a suitable Republican candidate in the '08 election to vote for them, if the Democrats decide to do something stupid like offer up the completely unelectable Hillary Clinton?

Do what you want during the mid-term elections, I don't think it'll matter all that much quite frankly. If you want to see whether or not "W" can use his Veto power, do a wholesale change of democrats for republicans. You may argue that 2 years of nothing happening is better than 2 more years of a Republican power play. I'm still not that cynical.
post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Well, it's Swift Boat time....
I heard this first from Murtha. I almost fell out of my chair. It is the most Orwellian use of the English language I have seen in years.

If someone runs for office and makes a point to constantly bring up his faithfulness to his wife...introducing himself as John The Faithful...and a group of women show up with videos of him screwing them...that is getting "swift boated".

The funny thing about this bizarre attempt to re-write history is that it serving to remind people what a loser Kerry really is. People hear "Swift Boat", and the think, "Oh yeah. I forgot. Kerry was the knucklehead calling his "band of brothers" Genjis Kahn. I can't vote for a guy who pronounces Genghis Gen-jis. What is that? French?"

Kerry made his service in Vietnam his defining characteristic. People stepped forward and called into question his fitness to serve as president based upon his service in Vietnam.

I guess liberals really do believe that the "average American" is an idiot.
post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
I heard this first from Murtha. I almost fell out of my chair. It is the most Orwellian use of the English language I have seen in years.

If someone runs for office and makes a point to constantly bring up his faithfulness to his wife...introducing himself as John The Faithful...and a group of women show up with videos of him screwing them...that is getting "swift boated".

The funny thing about this bizarre attempt to re-write history is that it serving to remind people what a loser Kerry really is. People hear "Swift Boat", and the think, "Oh yeah. I forgot. Kerry was the knucklehead calling his "band of brothers" Genjis Kahn. I can't vote for a guy who pronounces Genghis Gen-jis. What is that? French?"

Kerry made his service in Vietnam his defining characteristic. People stepped forward and called into question his fitness to serve as president based upon his service in Vietnam.

I guess liberals really do believe that the "average American" is an idiot.

Swift Boat makers attacked Kerry's best asset, no more no less, and it was very good politics, although it lowered the bar considerably. BTW, Cheny had SIX deferments, no one can even find full records of W's national guard duty (which is a cop out in and of itself), and right now you have been spun enough to criticize someone who actually went? What the hell is wrong with you?
post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Swift Boat makers attacked Kerry's best asset, no more no less, and it was very good politics, although it lowered the bar considerably. BTW, Cheny had SIX deferments, no one can even find full records of W's national guard duty (which is a cop out in and of itself), and right now you have been spun enough to criticize someone who actually went? What the hell is wrong with you?
The point is that neither Cheney or Bush made their service to the country a centerpiece of their candidacies (understandably). Any absence of attacks on W and DC by the left can be attributed to either a lack of material (especially relative to the mountains of fodder that Kerry provided), or a failure in leadership. This isn't tiddlywinks.
post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I am not criticizing Kerry for going. I don't want him as president because of what he believes and how he would lead our country. If he makes Vietnam the central issue of his campaign, then he opens himself up for political attacks.

I don't accept the premise that attempting to legally avoid serving in the military during the Vietnam war was a bad thing, or less honorable than volunteering to go.

If drafted, going to Canada (liberal badge of honor until Kerry ran for office) was not honorable in my opinion. Carter granted amnesty to them. They were welcomed as heros by the left.

I never begrudged Clinton going the education route. I would have done the same.

Bush served in the National Guard, which was enough to be called a baby-killer by liberals in the late 60s. Yet once Kerry showed up, only "gook" scalps were enough to be president. Strange.

I don't believe that the only thing that qualifies a person to endorse the use of our military is experience killing enemies with your bare hands and getting wounded.

Carter was in the Navy on a nuclear sub. Reagan was never truly in the service. Clinton avoided the draft. So did Bush. Kerry volunteered and saw combat.

None of this over rides the duty to thoughtfully consider what each of these men would do as Commander in Chief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in