LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchprint

As for all us old sots who still own a G4, rumor has it that OSX.5 'Leopard' will not be available for the G4.
Looks like that will be the excuse I need to redeploy the G4 laptop and get a MacBook Pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
I read up on it. There are about 100 different ways to do the installation. I read of a windows only solution that involves using tools ported from Unix to write the Mac OS X image but I downloaded and burned an iso of ubuntu. What I can't find is the hacked OS X image on bittorrents. I have an apple CD for my laptop but I doubt it would work as it has to be hacked to be installed on PC hardware.
Apple DVD won't work. You need a torrent of either 10.4.6 HotISO (that's what I used) or 10.4.6 Jas. They are pretty easy to find through Google.

Also, you don't need ubuntu. I used this guy's guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11339

It worked fine, except it screwed up my XP install.

XP install was fixed by putting on XP CD and going into Recovery console and then using command "bootcfg /rebuild" (without quotes.
Some people say "FIXMBR" from R console also worked.

Anyway, I have dual-boot of XP and OS X and very proud
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchprint
OSX running on a laptop G4 IS SLOOOW. Now try OSX on an Intel dual core. No comparison. Not even a burp in performance.

As for all us old sots who still own a G4, rumor has it that OSX.5 'Leopard' will not be available for the G4.
I have G-4 tower.

I just reformatted the G-4's HD and installed Leopard. The OS may run faster than with Jaguar. At least it is no slower. Also, I have reloaded the Office programs and they run. Also took an external DVD burner off of my PC and the G-4 recognized it and read files (including the OSX 10.5 install program) without recourse to 3rd party software. I haven't burned anything on it yet but I can't see that would be a problem. I also took a 400 Gig external drive off the PC and stuck it on there, no problem.

10.5 is a big improvement over 10.3 and 10.3 was simply the finest OS I had ever used.

B
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I have G-4 tower.

I just reformatted the G-4's HD and installed Leopard. The OS may run faster than with Jaguar. At least it is no slower. Also, I have reloaded the Office programs and they run. Also took an external DVD burner off of my PC and the G-4 recognized it and read files (including the OSX 10.5 install program) without recourse to 3rd party software. I haven't burned anything on it yet but I can't see that would be a problem. I also took a 400 Gig external drive off the PC and stuck it on there, no problem.

10.5 is a big improvement over 10.3 and 10.3 was simply the finest OS I had ever used.

B
Where did you get access to Leopard? Are you a developer? I've already tried to buy it from my support guy and he can't even get it yet.
It's great that the G4 will run it. Mac Addict magazine had said it was a rumor that it would not run on a G4. That buys me some more time with my snowball iMac and my 20" G5 iMac.
OSX 10.4x is a good OS that I've used for about 5 months now. Is OSX 10.5 designed much like the new iTunes windows?

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in