Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Scarborough rapes fellow Republicans

Save Yourself, Blame Bush

By Joe Scarborough - Sunday, September 17, 2006; B01 - SOURCE

I can't help but feel sorry for my old Republican friends in Congress who are fighting for their political lives. After all, it must be tough explaining to voters at their local Baptist church's Keep Congress Conservative Day that it was their party that took a $155 billion surplus and turned it into a record-setting $400 billion deficit.

How exactly does one convince the teeming masses that Republicans deserve to stay in power despite botching a war, doubling the national debt, keeping company with Jack Abramoff, fumbling the response to Hurricane Katrina, expanding the government at record rates, raising cronyism to an art form, playing poker with Duke Cunningham, isolating America and repeatedly electing Tom DeLay as their House majority leader?

How does a God-fearing Reagan Republican explain all that away?

Easy. Blame George W. Bush.

Escaping political death by attacking an unpopular president is hardly new -- especially since most endangered politicians have the loyalty of a starving billy goat. But this is Dubya's Washington, where the White House has pushed around, bullied and betrayed GOP lawmakers for years.

Republican House members and senators always believed that this White House took them for granted. But after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, most of them had no choice but to sulk in their cloakrooms, listen to Debby Boone on their iPods and take it like a man. Bush was a rock star among the party faithful through the 2004 election, so crossing this popular commander in chief was not an option. That's not to say that Old Bulls didn't privately growl about how they were treated better when their old nemesis was still frolicking with an intern. So what if Bill Clinton misbehaved? At least that president found time to personally negotiate terms of subcommittee markups -- even if he was defiling the Oval Office at the same time.

But that kind of give-and-take between presidents and members of Congress ended once Clinton retired to Chappaqua. For the next five years, Republicans on the Hill would do little more than rubber-stamp Bush's domestic and international agenda because lawmakers were intimidated by his power and his popularity with the Republican base.

Even when the administration would not give generals the troops they needed to win the war in Iraq, Republican leaders did nothing. When the president refused to veto a single spending bill while the deficit spiraled upward, Republican leaders looked away. And when chaos was reigning in the streets of New Orleans and across the Gulf Coast in Katrina's horrific aftermath, Republican leaders remained mute.

That silence -- proof that it is better to be feared than loved in politics -- has had devastating results. The United States is more divided than ever, our leaders are despised around the world, our fiscal situation is catastrophic and congressional approval ratings are the lowest ever. Since nothing sharpens the mind like a political hanging, Republican leaders in the Senate and House are finally considering doing what effete newspaper editorialists have suggested for years: throwing Bush overboard.

Of course, the mere suggestion makes some Republican loyalists shudder. Being a faithful follower of Brother Bush has long been synonymous with loving Jesus, supporting the troops and taking a stand against sodomy. But no more. Many of the conservatives who put Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich in power are counting the days until Bush goes to Crawford for good. Some mutter that their leader's governing style looks more like Jimmy Carter's every day -- and among that crowd, there is no harsher insult.

I recently ran a segment on my MSNBC show asking whether Bush was an idiot. After the show, I actually received positive feedback from conservative friends, along with the predictable condemnation from White House staffers. The response was telling and suggested that attacking Bush from the right carries no political risk -- a useful pointer for House members facing tough campaigns.

If I were a GOP candidate this year, I would not call the president an idiot (he isn't). But I would spend the next 50 days of the campaign telling conservatives and liberals alike that even though I voted for this war once and this president twice, time has proved that Bush and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld were wrong to think that the nation could win Iraq on the cheap. I would also look them in the eye and say that our president was wrong to believe that the United States could fight a war, cut taxes and increase federal spending, all at once. I would castigate my president for claiming to support homeland security while allowing our borders to remain wide open.

I suspect that voters of all persuasions would like that message. Independence is almost always rewarded at the polls. I learned this by accident while running for Congress in 1994, when the local, state and national Republican machines worked overtime to elect my opponent in the primary. I was considered too young, too inexperienced and too conservative.

But after winning 62 percent of the vote, I arrived in Washington an independent man. I criticized Clinton for vetoing welfare reform; I went after Gingrich for backing off spending cuts. Both times, my constituents roared with approval. The best part is that I was rewarded for saying what I believed -- another pointer for today's Republicans.

Using a midterm campaign to run away from your party's president is not unprecedented. In 1994, Democrats did it while GOP challengers were busy tying Clinton's political carcass around their necks. Some Southern Democrats were so desperate to run away from Clinton's tax increase and health care debacle that they in effect told White House operatives that any attempt to send Air Force One to their districts would be met with antiaircraft fire.

In the end, Democrats' efforts to save their majorities in the House and Senate were futile. Right-wing barbarians like me were elected because after two long years of political bumbling, voters were tired of Clinton. Unfortunately for endangered Republicans 12 years later, Clinton's poll numbers during that campaign were 15 percentage points higher than Bush's now. That suggests that the Democratic tidal wave this year will rival that of the Republicans in 1994.

But these Republicans have one advantage that Clinton's party lacked in 1994: Their opponents are Democrats. The Party of Pelosi. The party that is so tongue-tied on its best political issue that I still can't tell you where it stands on Iraq. Nor can they explain how they would balance the budget or stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

That failure to present an alternative vision is in stark contrast with Gingrich & Co., who spent 1994 drawing up a legislative package, a plan to balance the budget and enough position papers to strip an Amazon rain forest.

This year, maybe Democrats can beat something with nothing. As for Republicans, their only chance of survival is blasting the president for mistakes of the past and attacking the Democrats for their failings of the future.

Of course, you GOP candidates can be sure that such attacks will annoy Bush, even though your survival may be all that stands between him and a crazy Democratic chairman launching impeachment hearings. But if you win this fall only to face his stern rebuke next winter, just tell him it was schadenfreude for all the times the White House treated you badly. With any luck, Bush will think you are talking about that Berlin disco that Moammar Gaddafi bombed back in 1986 and then dismiss you like the worthless billy goat he always suspected you were.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 06:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even though he is a conservative I've been watching Scarborough for years. In the beginning I thought he was an asshole but watched a startling change over the years. There were times that he would say something against the administration or his party that made me think there was hope and then he would go off the deep end and contradict earlier remarks he made but lately I'm feeling that even he is sick of the all the fuckups of the Bush administration and that he too would end up looking like a complete idiot by backing up these fuckups, kinda like Boo and Jayhawk. I agree with most of what he had to say, seems like someone removed the Republican blind folds off him.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Perhaps he has done something very un-Republican and grown a conscience, something our "kill them for their oil" crowd here has been unable to do.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
throwing Bush overboard.

Of course, the mere suggestion makes some Republican loyalists shudder. Being a faithful follower of Brother Bush has long been synonymous with loving Jesus, supporting the troops and taking a stand against sodomy. But no more. Many of the conservatives who put Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich in power are counting the days until Bush goes to Crawford for good. Some mutter that their leader's governing style looks more like Jimmy Carter's every day -- and among that crowd, there is no harsher insult.
hahahaha amen!

in political asylum
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Rape me, Rape my friend
Rape me, Rape me again
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
Hate me, do it and do it again
waste me, rape me my friend
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
My favorite inside source
i'll kiss your open sores
I apperctiate your concern
you'll always stink and burn
Rape me, Rape me my friend
Rape me, Rape me again
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)
Rape me (Rape me)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Joe Knows: Dems can win on Iraq
Joe Scarborough explains how Democrats can win in the midterms

COMMENTARY
By Joe Scarborough
Host, ‘Scarborough Country’
Scarborough
Updated: 10:46 p.m. ET Sept 22, 2006

If you're like me, you sit watching party leaders and wondering how they could have gotten where they are with an IQ of 47. You also wonder why they just don't tell Americans the unvarnished truth. Are they afraid that being honest is no longer a smart political strategy?

Well, as a service to American political discourse, I will be spending this campaign season giving political strategy to both parties. Though I may not agree with all the positions I suggest candidates take, they are all defensible and intellectually honest. I'm like the halftime analyst who tells you what the teams need to do in the second half to push the ball over the goal line.

Think of me as the political equivalent of John Madden without the turkey leg and three blocked arteries.

In my first installment of "Joe Knows," I will be telling Democrats how to most effectively articulate their policy positions on the current conflict in Iraq. My goal is to transform them from wimps to political gladiators who kick ass. Then at least we will have a real debate.

Monday I will offer advice on Iraq to Republicans. And that will be the speech I would actually give were I running this year. But since the Democrats need more help in figuring out what their party believes on the war, i thought I would start with them.

The way I see it, America needs a real debate on the real issues facing our country in the 21st Century. So long as politicians on both sides skirt the issues, Americans will be the losers. And since Democrats have been so helplessly tongue-tied on Iraq, I could think of no better place to start than with the war.

So here goes (campaign managers, cut and paste starting here):

"Friends, I'm sorry. I really am. When you sent me to Washington, I promised to do my best in representing you, but sometimes, even giving your best is not enough. One of those times I messed up was when I voted for the war in Iraq.

You know what my biggest mistake was? Trusting the Bush Administration.

George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld all told me America was in great danger because of Saddam Hussein's chemical, biological and nuclear weapon programs. Heck, even the CIA director told me it was a slam dunk.

One year after September 11th I, along with 75% of Americans, believed the Commander in Chief. But what a mistake that was.

America now finds itself involved in a brutal war that will last longer than the Civil War, both World Wars and Korea. Iraq's security situation is worse than ever, and even our troops tell me that civil war is right around the corner.

So what do we do?

Blaming George Bush is not enough. Blaming George Bush won't win a war, won't rebuild fractured alliances and won't bring our troops home.

FDR didn't look back after Pearl Harbor and neither should we now look back on the mistakes of the past. This election isn't about that past.

It is about America's future.

Right now, America is spending $1.5 billion a week in Iraq. Generals are saying it may take up to 15 years to secure that country.

That means some of the 9 year olds you pass at bus stops next week will be fighting and dying in Iraq if the Bush Pentagon has its way.

That means America will pay over $1.5 trillion on Iraq before the end of this tragic adventure.

That means America will be stretched thin not only militarily but also economically.

Friends, my momma always told me that no matter how far you get down a trail, if it is the wrong one, turn around. That's what America must have the courage to do, That's what our leaders must have the courage to do. That is what I will have the courage to do.

In fighting to get our troops home, I will be fighting to put America first. I will be fighting to protect your tax dollars. I will be fighting to protect our troops' lives and I will be fighting to strengthen our military to insure that instead of being tied down in Iraq, we be strong enough to face the very real threats caused by North Korea and Iran.

Enough is enough!

Send George Bush a message. Tell him America can no longer spend our children into permanent debt and lose more lives in a three-sided civil war that America cannot end. And tell him we have given Iraq their first three Democratic elections. It is now time to let them determine their destiny as we once again begin focusing on ours.

You can send George W. Bush that message and put America first again by casting your vote for me on November 7th. Together we can make sure that our country's greatest days lie ahead.

Thank you and may God bless our troops overseas and bless the United States of America."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14961987/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in