post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dukes of Hazzard

Action Comedy based on the hit television series that ran from 1979-85. Set in present day, The Dukes of Hazzard follows the adventures of "good old boy" cousins Bo (Seann William Scott) and Luke (Johnny Knoxville) Duke, who with the help of their eye-catching cousin Daisy (Jessica Simpson) and moonshine-running Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson), try and save the family farm from being destroyed by Hazzard County’s corrupt commissioner Boss Hogg (Burt Reynolds). Their efforts constantly find the "Duke Boys" eluding authorities in "The General Lee," their famed 1969 orange Dodge Charger that keeps them one step ahead of the dimwitted antics of the small southern town’s Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane (M.C. Gainey).

The General is an orange 1969 Dodge Charger 440 with the 440-cubic-inch Magnum V8 engine. Over 300 Dodge Chargers were used on the show (at least 3 per episode) because once a car was jumped it was not used again The shock of the impact completely destroyed the structural integrity of the ca, so at the end of the filming only 17 original General Lees were remaining.

The General Lee was painted bright orange and had a confederate flag on the roof and the number ’01’ on the door. On all the General Lees used for the show, the locking mechanism was disconnected from the foot-operated parking brake for the "Bootleggers’ Turn", the 180-degree turns the Dukes made in practically every show to lose sheriff Rosco, and/or deputies Enos and Cletus.

For scenes filmed with Bo and Luke actually in the car, a "first unit" General was used. This version featured a 375-horsepower, 440-cubic-inch, Magnum V8 engine, according to the studio. It had been souped up with a racing carburetor, heavy duty suspension parts, and custom wheels and tires. A glasspack muffler helped give the General its signature throaty roar. A padded roll bar was installed in the driver’s compartment, and a custom push bar was mounted to the General’s front end.

The stunt crew used an entirely different General Lee, this one modified even further both for performance and safety. A full steel roll cage protected the driver and passenger and a special weight box was placed in the trunk. The crew could vary the amount of weight by several hundred pounds to help balance the car for different jump distances. This was important to keep the car from flipping over in the air. Each jump was planned very carefully, including the length and height of the jump, speed of the car, angle of the ramp, and weight in the trunk. Some of the longest jumps (almost 150 feet) needed 600 pounds of weight in the trunk-mounted weight box.

Engines in General Lees were all sorts: 318, 383, and 440 were all used. The special purpose built "Ski Car" (the car that drives on the two-side wheels) had a 318, as it was lighter weight. Most of the workhorse stunt cars had 383’s. The stunt drivers tended to prefer 440’s for jumps, which were often saved for the higher and longer jumps (440 engines were often transplanted into other cars for this purpose, too). And, though sound effects lead many people to believe otherwise, only a very small handful of Chargers on the show were actually manual transmission cars.

Model: Dogde Charger
Year: 1969
Horse Power @ RPM: 375

I used to watch the old series. The new movie was 100% based on the series. Still they had to run away from Rosco.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I NEVER lost an episode of the Dukes..!So many years ago and i still remember the song!Drifting and drifting and drifting..the dukes were one of the reasons i was trying to drift my father's 78 vw transporter(without him ofcourse to know that i had the keys)with a couple of friends of mine!..Yes i 've seen the new movie and i really enjoyed it...Genertal lee makes the same familiar sound,only cousin Daisy i think is even "hotter"..

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Avantgarde 1998
only cousin Daisy i think is even "hotter"..
You think so?. I like the long legs on the original myself.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: