GOP Fascist Warmongerers trying to neo-con us again on Iran - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
old300D's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The ten year time frame is based on Iran's centrifuge capability. They have the ability to enrich uranium sufficient to power a power plant, but they need 10-100x the capability to make a bomb sooner.

OBK #35

old300D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '01 C320
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
As soon as we got a strong president in there (Reagan) our hostages were released and the immediate crises was over. With a weak president like Carter our embassy staff was held hostage for a year and a half with no end in sight until Reagan was elected.
Thank you for my daily dose of revisionist history. Reagan got the hostages release, not because he was strong, but because he negotiated with the terrorists (iranian regime) and sold them weapons in return for the release of the hostages. It was part of a little thing you might remember called Iran Contra affair.
That Guy is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
baby boo's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
Thank you for my daily dose of revisionist history. Reagan got the hostages release, not because he was strong, but because he negotiated with the terrorists (iranian regime) and sold them weapons in return for the release of the hostages. It was part of a little thing you might remember called Iran Contra affair.
The hostages were released by Iran 20 minutes after Reagan was sworn in:

On January 20, 1981, twenty minutes after President Reagan's inaugural address, the hostages were formally released into U.S. custody, having spent 444 days in captivity.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

Iran-Contra was a totally separate affair which occurred 5 years later and intially involved Israel transferring TOW missles to Iran in a hostage release deal and the U.S. subsequently selling them at inflated prices to Iran the profits of which were funneled to the Contras.

So you are totally confused as to the seqeunce of events. I can see where you claim to get a daily dose of revisionist history as the fantasy you related about the release of the embassy hostages in exchange for funding of the Contras has no basis in reality.
baby boo is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carter lighted many canles in White House, one candle for each hostage held in Tehran.

Reagan promised to light just one big candle, in Tehran.

And while we are on this, there are some facts that current president of Iran was among those who held the hostages.
maine_coon is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
baby boo's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still chuckling over "That Guys" assertion that the release of our embassy staff 20 minutes after Reagen's inauguration was somehow related to to the Iran-Contra affair 5 years later.

What a joke.

Those hostages were held by Iran for 400+ days all during the Carter administration. Our enemies viewed Carter with disdain. They were emboldened by a weak, pathetic president. This is the same guy (Carter) who appointed that POS Andrew Young as U.N. ambassador and who proceeded to attack the U.S. at the U.N.! This from someone who was supposed to be representing us! Young eventually resigned in disgrace after he made contacts with the PLO in contravention to then U.S. policy.

After Reagen was inaugurated the Iranians were scared shitless. They knew exactly who they were dealing with. No surprise that they released the hostages immediately. In the next 8 years Reagen proceeded to demonstrate to the world that he meant business.

Andrew Young; yet another failed Carter lackey:
Attached Images
 
baby boo is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Who gives a fuck

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
baby boo's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Who gives a fuck

The reason we "should give a fuck" is because it is a lesson on how a weak president (Jimmy Carter) was unable to gain the hostage's release for a year and a half but a strong one could do it based upon the (justifible) fear that our enemies had of a determined president.

It's a lesson for the future that we need to keep liberals out of the White House.
baby boo is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
The reason we "should give a fuck" is because it is a lesson on how a weak president (Jimmy Carter) was unable to gain the hostage's release for a year and a half but a strong one could do it based upon the (justifible) fear that our enemies had of a determined president.

It's a lesson for the future that we need to keep liberals out of the White House.
Do you really think so? Don't get me wrong -- I agree that Carter, however honorable and well-intentioned, was in way over his head and was probably the worst POTUS of the 20th century. I also have very high regard for Mr. Reagan, but as I recall, Reagan was initially considered an insignificant cowboy actor boob in international circles until he proved otherwise, which was no small feat. The release of the prisoners in Iran had nothing to do with a new-found perception of strength or resolve, only change.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If Reagan was here right now, do you know what he'd say? He'd say "I'm dead, so I don't give a fuck what happened thirty years ago. Quit living in the past, you boob."


Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
baby boo's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
If Reagan was here right now, do you know what he'd say? He'd say "I'm dead, so I don't give a fuck what happened thirty years ago. Quit living in the past, you boob."

....
"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it", and the last thing we need is to repeat the mistake of the Carter era with high unemployment, high interest rates, low American self-esteem and the general sense of disquiet that permeated the country.

Reagan brought back America's self confidence and his policies eventually won the cold war.
baby boo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Top GOP Fascist declares war on Judicial Branch FeelTheLove Off-Topic 17 04-07-2005 02:15 PM
    Top GOP Fascist declares war on Democracy FeelTheLove Off-Topic 0 04-01-2005 10:20 AM
    Churchill the first Neo-Con? American imperialists think so... Zeitgeist Off-Topic 14 02-28-2005 07:08 PM
    Hitchens as a Neo-Con--anti-religious vehemence and love of democracy makes for strange bedfellows. kerry edwards Off-Topic 8 10-05-2004 05:22 PM
    Unfairly Labled Neo-Con Strongly Disagrees with Blair.... Uniwhale Off-Topic 16 09-17-2004 09:57 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome