Britain kills its young! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Britain kills its young!

MSNBC.com
Experts: Junk culture is killing childhood
Video games, academic pressures contribute to rise in behavioral problems
Reuters

Updated: 10:36 a.m. CT Sept 12, 2006

LONDON - Britain’s children are being poisoned by a “junk culture” of processed food, computer games and over-competitive education, an influential group of authors and experts warned on Tuesday.
In an open letter to the Daily Telegraph, 110 teachers, psychologists and children’s authors — including the internationally acclaimed Philip Pullman and Penelope Leach, a leading childcare expert — called on the government to act now to prevent childhood being killed off altogether.
Forced “to act and dress like mini-adults”, children are becoming increasingly depressed and experiencing growing levels of behavioral and developmental problems, they said.
“Since children’s brains are still developing, they cannot adjust as full-grown adults can, to the effects of ever more rapid technological and cultural change,” the letter said.
“They need what developing human beings have always needed, including real food (as opposed to processed “junk“), real play (as opposed to sedentary, screen-based entertainment), first hand experience of the world they live in and regular interaction with the real-life significant adults in their lives.”

The letter was circulated by Sue Palmer, an ex-head teacher and author of a book entitled “Toxic Childhood”, and Dr Richard House, a senior lecturer at the Research Center for Therapeutic Education at Roehampton University in London.
“Children’s development is being drastically affected by the kind of world they are brought up in,” Palmer told the Daily Telegraph. “It is shocking.”
“A child’s physical and psychological growth cannot be accelerated. It changes in biological time, not at electrical speed. Childhood is not a race.”
The experts condemned Britain’s increasingly “target-driven” education system and urged the government to recognize children’s need for more time and space to develop, demanding an urgent public debate on child-rearing in the 21st century.
Award-winning children’s author Michael Morpurgo, who also signed the letter, said there was a “drip, drip, drip effect” of academic pressure and marketing which was killing childhood.
“It’s gradually soaking like a poison into the culture,” he told BBC radio. “There is less room for reading, for dreaming, for music, for drama, for art, and simply for playing.”

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I detect the scent of teachers excusing their failings, psychologists justifying their existence and authors 'talking their book' if you excuse the pun, to increase sales.

That said, the insidious nanny culture championed by Blair's arrogant government has probably prevented today's kids from going outside to play in the woods and parks as we would have done.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
What you mean to say TK is American cultural exports are up in the UK . MacDonalds , MTV , HipHop Gangster shit is being rammed down down there cake hole and they are loving it mmmmm
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
What you mean to say TK is American cultural exports are up in the UK . MacDonalds , MTV , HipHop Gangster shit is being rammed down down there cake hole and they are loving it mmmmm
Following the leader, as per usual. Can I send you a couple AR15's?

Having been raised on Irish and English food(including a savory anomaly my mother called "Slumgullion", I believe Mickey D's is a marked improvement

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill

Having been raised on Irish and English food(including a savory anomaly my mother called "Slumgullion", I believe Mickey D's is a marked improvement

slum·gul·lion (slm-glyn)
n.
A watery meat stew.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Perhaps slum, muddy deposit in a mining sluice + dialectal gullion, mud (perhaps from Irish Gaelic goil*n, pit]

So, a watery stew resembling the mud deposited from mining waste.You really must get that recipe.(I'm sure it's very hearty and sticks to yer ribs!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill

I'm telling your Mum TK , you have on record 'as a chef ' called Mickey D's a marked improvement over your Mothers Slumgullion ........ what type of son are you ???
And I have a AR10 , corz AR15's are for sissy's . The only leader of the gang is Gary Glitter as you well know !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM
~BANNED~

TK
'Can I send you a couple AR15's?'

We'll keep the 'assault' and 'battery' on our fish and chips if that's ok with you!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:54 PM

Owwww They leave the skin on the fish when they do fish and chips in th UK . But the steaks are to go mad for
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I do not like the taste of beef in the UK. It's missing that mediciney US anabolic steroid flavor but you can't beat those roadside chip shops.
Pre Julia Childs mom was a university addict and horrible cook. Now later in life, her candlight suppers are to die for.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:25 PM

http://www.gaucho-grill.com/
Yes you can get a good steak in London .
But as for Mrs H Buckets beef curtins I think I give them a miss .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in