Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nothing new here

'No Saddam link to Iraq al-Qaeda'

There is no evidence of formal links between Iraqi ex-leader Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda leaders in Iraq prior to the 2003 war, a US Senate report says.
The finding is contained in a 2005 CIA report released by the Senate's Intelligence Committee on Friday.

US President George W Bush has said that the presence of late al-Qaeda leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Iraq before the war was evidence of a link.

Opposition Democrats say the report has harmed Mr Bush's case for going to war.

The BBC's Justin Webb in Washington says that the US president has again and again tried to connect the war in Iraq, which most Americans think was a mistake, with the so-called war on terror, which has the support of the nation.

The report comes as Mr Bush makes a series of speeches on the "war on terror" to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the 11 September attacks.

Requests rejected

The report is the second part of the committee's analysis of pre-war intelligence. The first dealt with CIA failings in its assessment of Iraq's weapons programme.

Saddam Hussein was distrustful of al-Qaeda and viewed Islamic extremists as a threat to his regime, refusing all requests from al-Qaeda to provide material or operational support,

The committee concluded that the CIA had evidence of several instances of contacts between the Iraqi authorities and al-Qaeda throughout the 1990s but that these did not add up to a formal relationship.

It added that the government "did not have a relationship, harbour or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi and his associates".

It said that Iraq and al-Qaeda were ideologically poles apart.

"Saddam Hussein was distrustful of al-Qaeda and viewed Islamic extremists as a threat to his regime, refusing all requests from al-Qaeda to provide material or operational support," it said.

The Senate report added that the Iraqi regime had repeatedly rejected al-Qaeda requests for meetings.

It also deals with the role played by inaccurate information supplied by Iraqi opposition groups in the run-up to the war.

'Devastating indictment'

White House spokesman Tony Snow told the Associated Press news agency the report contained "nothing new".

"In 2002 and 2003, members of both parties got a good look at the intelligence we had and they came to the very same conclusions about what was going on," he said.

But Democrat Senator Carl Levin described the report as a "devastating indictment" of the administration's attempts to link Saddam Hussein to al-Qaeda.

Zarqawi, who is believed to be responsible for numerous killings and kidnappings in Iraq since the war, was killed in a US raid in June.

Saddam Hussein and several close associates are standing trial for the killings of Shias in the village of Dujail in the early 1980s and of more than 100,000 Kurds in 1988.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:33 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^
This issue was raised repeatedly last night by ABC's Charles Gibson in his interview with Dubya.I actually felt embarrassed for Bush as he squirmed and fidgeted his way out of giving a straight and clear answer.That performance alone must surely have cost the GOP votes, or not?

Last edited by deathrattle; 09-08-2006 at 04:49 PM.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Nope -- it's just a pack of lies to Bush backers. Right Jayhawk?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wait till Botnst weighs in with clever spin from some obscure NeoCon rag. Remember folks, he's not actually a Republican; he just plays one on the interweb.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
Wait till Botnst weighs in with clever spin from some obscure NeoCon rag. Remember folks, he's not actually a Republican; he just plays one on the interweb.
What a witty rejoinder.

I'll bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
What a witty rejoinder.

I'll bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

Where I play 'hide-the-salami' is no concern of yours.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
How many times have you brought this up and made me explain it to you, Z?

Did you happen to miss the part, AGAIN, where my reason for supporting the invasion of Iraq has NOTHING to do with Al Qaeda, or WMD or democratization or any other reason stated by this administration?

For me, it is about oil, remember?

Bot
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See GS, you should be taking a page out of FTL's playbook. Now you gave this thread the rather bland title of "Nothing New Here." I think it would have generated much more interest and participation if you had included a few insults and generalizations in the title like: "Nothing New Here except Vicious, Vicious lies. Bush and Cheney's Treason, Fraud and Murder in Iraq. " or maybe "Vicious, Vicious lies. Bush and Cheney's Treason, Fraud and Murder in Iraq. There is Absolutely Nothing New Here"

etc.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Well, I try my best to keep a level head and an even tone -- damn, sounds like milk toast. Oh well, write it off as a personal failing...

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
How many times have you brought this up and made me explain it to you, Z?

Did you happen to miss the part, AGAIN, where my reason for supporting the invasion of Iraq has NOTHING to do with Al Qaeda, or WMD or democratization or any other reason stated by this administration?

For me, it is about oil, remember?

Bot
Yes, your Imperialist obsession with THEIR oil is duly noted, but my comment stems from your repeated and shameless efforts to provide cover for this administration's gamut of illibertarian encroachments into OUR civil liberties; imperialist foreign entanglements; fiscal irresponsibility; domestic malfeasance; and malevolent efforts to undermine every semblance of coherent governance credibility. In short, you've consistently provided cover for every deviance from the truth, justice and the public interest that's come down the pike, that you've surely been conferred with an honorary title of the Republican order of toadaceous conduct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in