LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Stay out of their affairs, don't install/support the Shah and see where history leads -- there is a real possibility it would have eventually led to us. A majority of Iranians are quite comfortable with the West, which makes them a natural ally, despite the religious zealots who now hold the reins, partly as a result of our unwelcome and inappropriate interference.

Democracy is forged from within. Your optimism suggests to me an indefinite occupation.

Who installed the shah?

Do you have evidence that we are forcing democracy on the Iraqi people?

Are you aware that the new Iraqi govt took command of military operations in Iraq?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060907/D8K00E180.html

aborted Shop Forum member

Last edited by azimuth; 09-07-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't know if we are "imposing" it on them - but the fact that 90% of them voted for religious extremist parties seems to be some kind of hint that they don't care if it last for long.

The military operations thing sounds silly. Do you think they are going to go on war game manauvers without calling us first and asking us if we could move our 150,000 occupation troops out of the way?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #83 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth
No, but govt entities using the power of govt. to coerce the editing of free speech is the prime definition of censorship; a concept antithetical to the original intent of the constitutional 1st amendment.........and you know it.
I think the letter was in bounds.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #84 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Who installed the shah?

Do you have evidence that we are forcing democracy on the Iraqi people?

Are you aware that the new Iraqi govt took command of military operations in Iraq?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060907/D8K00E180.html
It all started with the French.

They installed George Washington as President thus getting the ball rolling.

Damn you French.
post #85 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:29 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
What escapes me is where the "threat" is. I saw none in their letter. The broadcast license allusion simply mentioned their duties as licensees.

People demand retractions of inaccuracies all the time. How is doing so "prior restraint"? And censorship? Where? They have no power to censor anyone.
When you and I demand a retraction or when we demand that a station pull out a program or a studio edit a film it means squat. We have no power over the station or the studio.

When the government, or when members of the government make threats, however veiled they may be, it carries quite a different impact.

A reference to "duties as a licensee" is coda for: "you do what we tell you or we yank your license." Anyone who doesn't see it that way is being extremely naive.

I think that government censorhip, prior restrains and even veiled threats of potential "consequences" is wrong and just plain odious.

Even you would have to agree with that premise. And you should be candid enough to see the same standards applied to Dems and Reps and you should be willing to using the same yardstick to measure the actions of both parties. Anything less than that is just plain hypocrisy.

It is stupid for the Dems to get all worked up over this TV movie.

1. It makes them look petty, scared and plain silly;

2. It goes against their self-professed devotion to the 1st Am.; AND

3. IT IS JUST A MOVIE...JUST A MOVIE...JUST A MOVIE

Politicians, from both side of the aisle, need to show a little bit more faith in the American public. We are not children, we can figure it out.

BTW and just to deflect any potential retort...I would be ridiculing the Reps if they were doing the same thing.

Last edited by 67_250SE; 09-08-2006 at 06:32 AM.
post #86 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Why aren't the Repos out there whining about this thing? And what about Bin Laden, are he and his political party fairly portrayed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

B
post #87 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I don't know if we are "imposing" it on them - but the fact that 90% of them voted for religious extremist parties seems to be some kind of hint that they don't care if it last for long.

The military operations thing sounds silly. Do you think they are going to go on war game manauvers without calling us first and asking us if we could move our 150,000 occupation troops out of the way?
I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all of the candidates from which to choose, were religious extremists comparatively speaking. How many of our politicians in our nascent democracy were extremely religious as compared to today's standard?

I think installing democracy is like planting seeds......it all depends upon the quality of soil and the diligence of nurturing for it to become a mighty oak, a noxious weed or fodder for hungry oppressors.

As far as the military operations, well, have you ever seen a baby deer or the like try to walk an hour after birth?

post #88 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I think the letter was in bounds.
And I expected no less. We all view the same events from differing perspectives through various filters........that's why I enjoy these conversations. One day either I'll become a libbie or I'll convert you to the warm embrace of neoconism

post #89 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all of the candidates from which to choose, were religious extremists comparatively speaking. How many of our politicians in our nascent democracy were extremely religious as compared to today's standard?

I think installing democracy is like planting seeds......it all depends upon the quality of soil and the diligence of nurturing for it to become a mighty oak, a noxious weed or fodder for hungry oppressors.

As far as the military operations, well, have you ever seen a baby deer or the like try to walk an hour after birth?
And I will bet you a steak or ten, that there will never be an actual independent democracy in Iraq. The whole idea is a joke perpetrated upon the American voters by a dishonest administration. Democracy is forged from within, it is not thrust upon unwilling participants from without.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #90 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
And I will bet you a steak or ten, that there will never be an actual independent democracy in Iraq. The whole idea is a joke perpetrated upon the American voters by a dishonest administration. Democracy is forged from within, it is not thrust upon unwilling participants from without.
Which brings us full circle in which ways did we force democracy on the Iraqi people?

ANd what's with making a steak bet that can't be won?......I'd have to wait 'til 'never' is over to claim my prize......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in