BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
Everytime I think of Jamie Gorelick I get steamed. And to think that she was on the 9/11 commision investigating herself when, instead, she should have been on the dock answering questions as to why she institued policies that prevented the free exchange of intelligence between different government agencies.

Putting her on the commitee to investigate what went wrong on 9/11 is like asking the fox to guard the hen house (for lack of another readily available analogy).

And yet chairman Kean, a Republican, defended her!
Totally agree! It drove me crazy watching that bitch sit there and point her finger at others as though she had nothing to do w/ it. Tom Kean, though Republican, is no friend of this administration. He has shown his true colors several times in recent weeks. Interesting that he was an adviser to ABC in making The Path to 9/11. I used to respect him when he was NJ governor, but he has moved in some very strange directions since then.

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
So you think free speech means you have to shut up when people print falsehoods? I'm sure you Republicans would like that. I certainly prefer them making noise about it before this hit piece rolls out, as you did over Michael Moore.
Free speech means that when someone prints, publishes or otherwise disseminates somethng you don't agree with that you don't censor or shut them up. You just get your turn at printing your rebuttal.

Free speech is not censorship, or even prior restrain.

Free speech is "more speech" to fight whatever it is that you don't agree with.

The difference between the two concepts may have escaped you.
post #73 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
We are not wanted there. Our past actions have gone a long way toward alienating Iran, who might otherwise be a U.S. ally at this very moment. We have no business asserting ourselves where we are not wanted, and our presence there creates a breeding ground for terrorists who demand the same autonomy as we do for ourselves, and provokes hostility from foreign governments who might otherwise be fearful of our repercussions. Iraq is lost, it always was. Retreat into Kurdistan, and let the rest go -- it's inevitable, and it's the best we're going to make of a sorry situation.
Doubtless some want us there and some do not.

I'd like to know in which ways Iran would be our ally today.........

Terrorist breed regardless.

Iraq is ours to lose. Were we united 'til the fruition of that democracy, the country would be stronger and we'd be better off with an ally tied to democracy in that region. We will not lose unless we leave before that happens. If we do leave before, I suggest the greater damage to innocents will occur than if we stay and finish setting up the democracy.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #74 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I believe the lesson we needed to learn from Vietnam was to stay home.
I actually agree with you here. I think we should have reinforced our home position before we began any international exertion. Now that we haven't, we could take the second lesson from Vietnam and finish what we started.

Spilled milk.

post #75 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
Everytime I think of Jamie Gorelick I get steamed. And to think that she was on the 9/11 commision investigating herself when, instead, she should have been on the dock answering questions as to why she institued policies that prevented the free exchange of intelligence between different government agencies.

Putting her on the commitee to investigate what went wrong on 9/11 is like asking the fox to guard the hen house (for lack of another readily available analogy).

And yet chairman Kean, a Republican, defended her!

Three words: Cover your *ss. That's why she was there. What did Sandy Burgler take home from the national archives and how did it get 'lost'?

post #76 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_250SE
Free speech means that when someone prints, publishes or otherwise disseminates somethng you don't agree with that you don't censor or shut them up. You just get your turn at printing your rebuttal.

Free speech is not censorship, or even prior restrain.

Free speech is "more speech" to fight whatever it is that you don't agree with.

The difference between the two concepts may have escaped you.
What escapes me is where the "threat" is. I saw none in their letter. The broadcast license allusion simply mentioned their duties as licensees.

People demand retractions of inaccuracies all the time. How is doing so "prior restraint"? And censorship? Where? They have no power to censor anyone.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #77 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
So you think free speech means you have to shut up when people print falsehoods? I'm sure you Republicans would like that. I certainly prefer them making noise about it before this hit piece rolls out, as you did over Michael Moore.
No, but govt entities using the power of govt. to coerce the editing of free speech is the prime definition of censorship; a concept antithetical to the original intent of the constitutional 1st amendment.........and you know it.

post #78 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth
Doubtless some want us there and some do not.

I'd like to know in which ways Iran would be our ally today.........
Stay out of their affairs, don't install/support the Shah and see where history leads -- there is a real possibility it would have eventually led to us. A majority of Iranians are quite comfortable with the West, which makes them a natural ally, despite the religious zealots who now hold the reins, partly as a result of our unwelcome and inappropriate interference.

Quote:
Terrorist breed regardless.

Iraq is ours to lose. Were we united 'til the fruition of that democracy, the country would be stronger and we'd be better off with an ally tied to democracy in that region. We will not lose unless we leave before that happens. If we do leave before, I suggest the greater damage to innocents will occur than if we stay and finish setting up the democracy.
Democracy is forged from within. Your optimism suggests to me an indefinite occupation.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #79 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Quote:
Three words: Cover your *ss. That's why she was there. What did Sandy Burgler take home from the national archives and how did it get 'lost'?

Good question. Why isn't this being investigated by a special prosecutor?

And we never did find out if he stuffed the documents in his socks or his pants.....
post #80 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
What escapes me is where the "threat" is. I saw none in their letter. The broadcast license allusion simply mentioned their duties as licensees.

People demand retractions of inaccuracies all the time. How is doing so "prior restraint"? And censorship? Where? They have no power to censor anyone.

The threat is in the consequences dilineated in the text of a broadcast liscense

People can demand what they want and as you say, with what power? Govt. bodies have power such as the delegation that sent the letter. They are coercing the editing of a 1st amendemnt protected activity. That is censorship.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in