CAPTION: Donald Rumsfeld - Page 15 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
67_250SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
You are in a very good position to judge I might add.
Are you submitting another entry counselor?

I thought you were already the runaway winner.

If you wish to solidify your positon, go ahead, keep obtusing away.

Have a fine day.
67_250SE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #142 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
67_250SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
67_xxx
"Quoting out of context is dangerous. You risk getting your ass handed to you if you fail to fully quote a source."

Would you care to note the source of that definition of virtuosity? Are you sure you haven't omitted something?

Nevertheless in which area of human knowledge do you consider Shane to excel? Being obtuse?

Where is your beloved logic? Does that not grate with you?
The definitions of both words, "virtue" and "virtuosity" both came from that beloved source of Internet info, Wikipedia. You can look it up yourself.

If you dispute the defintions that I posted, you are free to post away...you will anyway, regardless of whether you are correct or not.

My logic is nice and safe. It is yours I wonder about mate. Like I wrote earlier, I always thought of you as a fairly bright lad. I may have to rethink my previous assessment.

You obviously missed the point of my post mate. Being obtuse seems to be one of his principal attributes. If you want me to explain to you the reason for my statement I'd be glad to. If you look at my post regarding Glocks and S&W, and his response to it, you'd probably get a clue.

Regarding the word obtuse itself:

6 results for: obtuse

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source new!
ob‧tuse/əbˈtus, -ˈtyus/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uhb-toos, -tyoos]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1.not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull. 2.not sharp, acute, or pointed; blunt in form. 3.(of a leaf, petal, etc.) rounded at the extremity. 4.indistinctly felt or perceived, as pain or sound.
[Origin: 1500–10; < L obtūsus dulled (ptp. of obtundere), equiv. to ob- ob- + tūd-, var. s. of tundere to beat + -tus ptp. suffix, with dt>s]


I would submit that definitions 3 and 4, inclusive, would not apply to my original post.

For the source of the definiton above:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obtuse

Anything else that I can help you with before I rush off to a meeting?

Last edited by 67_250SE; 09-11-2006 at 09:45 AM.
67_250SE is offline  
post #143 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
azimuth's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
The 629 in stainless is one of the best that S&W makes, you have a gem. Their Sigma series autoloaders were garbage, but since they bought the manufacturing rights from Walther, they are easily worth a second look.

True that the sw99 is a beautiful example. I bought a walther p99 in 9mm OD and one in .40 sw before Smith began producing copies. I do love to shoot the 9mm.........think I'll fondle that one first when I get back to my safe.

aborted Shop Forum member

azimuth is offline  
post #144 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_250SE
Are you submitting another entry counselor?

I thought you were already the runaway winner.

If you wish to solidify your positon, go ahead, keep obtusing away.

Have a fine day.
Snore. Such a lame volley.
Shane is offline  
post #145 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Bruce R.'s Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 14,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth
True that the sw99 is a beautiful example. I bought a walther p99 in 9mm OD and one in .40 sw before Smith began producing copies. I do love to shoot the 9mm.........think I'll fondle that one first when I get back to my safe.
My .40 S&W P99 is OD as well, have that at the bedside in case dr decides he has to have a go at my butt. He seems to have a fixation on penises and male bits based on what he has written here……….

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94


"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Bruce R. is offline  
post #146 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:38 AM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_250SE
The definitions of both words, "virtue" and "virtuosity" both came from that beloved source of Internet info, Wikipedia. You can look it up yourself.

If you dispute the defintions that I posted, you are free to post away...you will anyway, regardless of whether you are correct or not.

My logic is nice and safe. It is yours I wonder about mate. Like I wrote earlier, I always thought of you as a fairly bright lad. I may have to rethink my previous assessment.

You obviously missed the point of my post mate. Being obtuse seems to be one of his principal attributes. If you want me to explain to you the reason for my statement I'd be glad to. If you look at my post regarding Glocks and S&W, and his response to it, you'd probably get a clue.

Regarding the word obtuse itself:

6 results for: obtuse

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source new!
ob‧tuse/əbˈtus, -ˈtyus/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uhb-toos, -tyoos]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1.not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull. 2.not sharp, acute, or pointed; blunt in form. 3.(of a leaf, petal, etc.) rounded at the extremity. 4.indistinctly felt or perceived, as pain or sound.
[Origin: 1500–10; < L obtūsus dulled (ptp. of obtundere), equiv. to ob- ob- + tūd-, var. s. of tundere to beat + -tus ptp. suffix, with dt>s]


I would submit that definitions 3 and 4, inclusive, would not apply to my original post.

For the source of the definiton above:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obtuse

Anything else that I can help you with before I rush off to a meeting?

What a surprise, your definition as noted below does not appear in the Wikipedia that you submitted as it's source.

"Virtuosity: Virtuosity can be generalized to define a person who excels technically in some area of human knowledge, although its use is more commonly applied in the context of the fine arts."

If you wish to check, here is the link:
http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...sity&x=24&y=15

I think you will have to concede that this is one of the many quirks in English which can catch out the unwary.

The only further thing with which you can help me is this; Is it your lack of maturity
or inherent machismo which prevents you from admitting that you have been mistaken?
deathrattle is offline  
post #147 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
67_250SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Snore. Such a lame volley.
But...

Originally Posted by Shane
You are in a very good position to judge I might add.


Counselor, I guess YOU would know about lame volleys.
67_250SE is offline  
post #148 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
67_250SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
What a surprise, your definition as noted below does not appear in the Wikipedia that you submitted as it's source.

"Virtuosity: Virtuosity can be generalized to define a person who excels technically in some area of human knowledge, although its use is more commonly applied in the context of the fine arts."

If you wish to check, here is the link:
http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...sity&x=24&y=15

I think you will have to concede that this is one of the many quirks in English which can catch out the unwary.

The only further thing with which you can help me is this; Is it your lack of maturity
or inherent machismo which prevents you from admitting that you have been mistaken?
Sigh...it is so difficutly dealing with people whose ability to see the entire field is often limited by their blinding need to ALWAYS be right.

OK DR, keep your eye on the ball and follow along:

Here is the link from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso

If you had only taken the time to thoroughly search through the entire Wiki, you would have come across the link above PLUS the definition that I posted.

Below, is the full definition:

The defining element of virtuosity is the performatic ability of the musician in question, who is capable of displaying feats of skill well above the average performer. Musicians focused on virtuosity are commonly critized for overlooking substance and emotion in favor of raw technical prowess. Despite the mechanical aspects of virtuosity, many virtuosi successfully avoid such labels, focusing simultaneously on other musical aspects while writing and performing music.

The Italian term of "virtuoso" was also commonly used to describe the group of emerging ballistic experts, engineers, artillerists, and specialists in mechanics and dynamics that arose during the late 17th century in response to the spreading use of gunpowder in Europe.

[u]In other contexts[/], virtuosity can be generalized to define a person who excels technically in some area of human knowledge, although its use is more commonly applied in the context of the fine arts.

I understand that you think that you hold some sort of superior knowledge of the Queen's English. You may, or you may not, posses such a superior fountain of knowledge. That is quite irrelevant and of no concern to me because, I will never have to deal with you on a personal level.

Just so that you know, however, I learned English many years after learning Spanish. Accordingly, like many people who learn another language as a second, third or fourth language, I tend to be overly meticulous about the correct use of language--including inserting the correct word at the correct place to make a point.

Sometimes I make exceptions here becase, after all, this is just the Internet. I am not writing an article for publication, so who cares about bending a few rules of grammar.

In this particular case, however, I used virtue and virtuosity to suggest something regarding about the person who was the target of my comment. I used exactly the words that I meant to use precisely because of their meaning.

You, however, thought that you saw a usage faux pas on my part. For whatever reason, you swooped in for the attack.

Problem is, that it turns out that you are the one who is wrong. And, to compound the error, you have accused me of "machismo" (with its veiled racist overtones) and of "immaturity" (with its not so-veiled overtones of superiority on your part).

You know what? I may be guilty of occasional displays of machismo and immaturity. (For instance, continuing to respond to your posts is a potential sign of immaturity on my part. It is so obvious that you are wrong and that wasting my time in trying to educate you is well, just a waste of time).

I've read your posts here and guess what? You are in no position, at all, to lecture others on machismo and emotional or intellectual maturity. I've read your posts and maturity and lack of overblown machismo are defitinitely traits not always present on your posts.

In this particular instance mate, you are wrong. You have committed the ultimate rhetorical sin of not fully and thoroughly checking through your citation--a common mistake made by amateurs.

You have been hoisted by your own petard. To continue further will only elevate you to even greater heights of mendacity.

I've written this before. You seem like a fairly bright chap. Why are you now so intent on establishing otherwise?

Give it a rest lad.

Have a good day mate.

PS: What exactly does "catch out (the unwary)" mean? Is that a particularly British expression? I am not picking on you, I really want to know if "catch out" is a British phrase.

Last edited by 67_250SE; 09-11-2006 at 02:24 PM.
67_250SE is offline  
post #149 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_250SE
But...

Originally Posted by Shane
You are in a very good position to judge I might add.


Counselor, I guess YOU would know about lame volleys.
Why would I reason with someone unreasonable? Eh Bubba??? Your attitude makes being obtuse fun!

Last edited by Shane; 12-06-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Shane is offline  
post #150 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:21 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
67_250SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Why would I reason with someone unreasonable? Eh Bubba??? Your attitude makes being obtuse fun!
Bubba? Wrong counselor.

Bubba is the hero and leader of the clintonite brigade.

BTW, your comment, as usual, is irrelevant (and that's an "a" after the "v." ) What are they teaching in law school nowadays? You can't tell me that the NM or TX bar exams are THAT easy, are they?
67_250SE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    CAPTION THIS.... heckflosse Off-Topic 7 12-31-2006 07:59 PM
    Donald Trump Curacao Maybach 1 12-31-2005 10:52 PM
    Add your caption: Ra_ Off-Topic 4 12-20-2005 09:24 AM
    Caption Contest KLACKO Off-Topic 10 08-03-2005 02:11 PM
    Maybach introduction at Mar a Largo with Donald Trump lrattner Maybach 3 09-10-2004 04:45 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome