BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Zidane's head-butt

Associated Press Reported

ROME (AP) -- Italy's Marco Materazzi said he insulted Zinedine Zidane's sister, revealing nearly two months after the World Cup final what provoked the French star to head-butt him in the chest.

In Tuesday's interview with the Gazzetta dello Sport, Materazzi disclosed that after he held his opponent's shirt, Zidane said: "If you want, I'll give you the jersey later."

"I responded that I preferred his sister, it's true," Materazzi said. "It wasn't something nice, true. But luckily there have been dozens of players who have confirmed that a lot worse things are said on the field."

Zidane was sent off after receiving a red card for the head-butt. Italy went on to win on penalty kicks.

Materazzi received a two-game ban for the July 9 incident and will miss Wednesday's rematch of the final, a 2008 European Championship qualifier. Zidane received a three-match suspension, but he retired after the World Cup.

Materazzi said that the Italian federation, in the middle of a match-fixing scandal, told him not to complain about the incident during a FIFA hearing.

"If accepting without raising my voice was the price to pay for having brought home the World Cup, I'm pretty happy to have paid it," Materazzi said.

Asked if the two could make peace, Materazzi said: "You sign a peace (agreement) after terrible wars, so why can't Zidane and I make peace?

"A peace among men, without a lot of publicity. The door to my house will always be open for that. And if Zidane wants, he knows where to find my address."

France captain Patrick Vieira thinks the apologies should go both ways.

"I think Zidane is waiting for Materazzi to apologize also for the insults he used," Vieira said.

Vieira, who is Materazzi's teammate at Inter Milan, said he chatted with him before leaving to join the France squad.

"He told me he is disappointed not to be here," Vieira said. "He's a very cheerful guy, but he loves to wind people up. Sometimes you need to know when to stop."

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I am still not happy with Zidane, he WAS my hero.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BERLIN (Reuters) - FIFA is considering South Africa's Robben Island as the stage for a reconciliation between Zinedine Zidane and Marco Materazzi, the defender he headbutted during the World Cup final.

Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA, said on Monday that plans were afoot for the two players to be reunited, and one possibility was using the site of the notorious prison, where former South African president Nelson Mandela was held.

"We are working on bringing together Materazzi and Zidane," Blatter told reporters ahead of a meeting in Berlin to debrief national coaches after the recent World Cup.

"There are different possibilities and one of them is Robben Island in South Africa where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years."

The moment when France's Zidane headbutted Italian defender Materazzi during the final in July became a defining image of the 2006 World Cup.

Materazzi has since said that a reference he made to Zidane's sister prompted the attack from the French midfielder, which earned him a red card. Italy won the game 5-3 on penalties after Zidane was sent off.

World soccer's governing body FIFA fined Zidane 7,500 Swiss francs (3,229 pounds) and Materazzi 5,000 Swiss francs.

Zidane said that since he had retired from the sport he would honour an additional three-match ban by undertaking community service.

Blatter backed a meeting of the two players, which Tokyo Sexwale, a former Robben Island inmate and now a member of the organising committee the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, suggested could take place at the prison site.

South Africa's Sunday Times newspaper reported that Sexwale was close to concluding a deal with Blatter in which Robben Island would be the venue for Zidane to perform his community service.

"This would bring to an end this story between Materazzi and Zidane," Blatter said.

"It is a pity that the World Cup ended with a red card and also by taking kicks from the penalty spot, but we have no other solution."

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: