BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
This one is muh more appropriate for one of your pists, Jayhawk.
I like this one better...
Attached Images

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've seen that one exhibited. It's quite famous - you may know it by it's title: 'President's Strategy For Combating Terrorism'.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #163 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I've seen that one exhibited. It's quite famous - you may know it by it's title: 'President's Strategy For Combating Terrorism'.
I'm sure you meant to say "the democrat strategy for combating terrorism!"

Don't believe everything you think
post #164 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
Alas, it looks like I'm going to have to walk you this one......again.

Let me set up the issue for you in the form of numbered propositions, OK?

1. The assertion has been oft repeated here on BW that Bush & Co are losing the war on terror (or, at least, not winning it).

2. I pointed out that we have not had a terror attack since 9/11 in the U.S. and that this should count as a victory against terorism.

3. You responded by noting that there was a long interval between the first WTC attack and the second (8 years) implying that a mere five year reprieve was no evidence that the war on terror had been successfully interdicted in the U.S. (Follow me along so far?--don't want to lose you here as this is an important point that you, yourself made)

4. I came back and pointed out that it is apparantly not for lack of trying that Al-Queda has not been successful in attacking us on our shores in view of the fact that 1) we have apprehended terrorists in the planning stage (Richard Reid, Jose Padilla etc) and that Al-Queda in the interval since 9/11 has been able to successfully target other western (but not American) interests specifically in Madrid and London.

5. My contention is that Al-Queda would have loved to attack America instead of Britian or Spain but that effective U.S. counter-terror actions have prevented that from happening thus contradicting your claim item #3 above. It's not as if Al-Queda has been inactive on the world stage since 9/11. So, absent a recent attack on America proper, it is fair to conclude that our war on terror is at least effective in that regards.

Now.....you are free to disagree with my assumptions or conclusions but you are no longer free to pretend to not understand the substance of my arguments as they should now be as clear as day even for you. I realize that my first presentation may have been somewhat nuanced for your comprehension but, hopefully, putting them in the explicit form above will clarify the issues for you.

Also I'm sure you will find grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors in the above response but do see if you can concentrate in the future in first understanding the issues involved and secondly focusing on a meaningful response.
Very well laid out argument. My ONLY comment is that Point 5 DOES NOT contradict Point 3. It has no direct correlation, only peripheral correlation which cannot contradict the point. The only way it would contradict would be IF Al-Qaeda announced that they were going to blow up something in the US but chose a train in Spain instead.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #165 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
Ooh ooh, pick me Mr Kotter! No, we shouldn't of attacked, invaded and occupied the formerly sovereign (and disfunctional) nation of Afghanistan, only to prop up a puppet regime that "governs" 1.5% of the country, while leaving the rest to fester under the same or similar ideological entities that ran the place before. We've poured billions into the country and have got absolutely nothing to show for it.

That is all.
But look at the bright side, POPPY production in the past 4 years is at its highest in the history of Afghanistan. This Nation Building shit is cool.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #166 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Very well laid out argument. My ONLY comment is that Point 5 DOES NOT contradict Point 3. It has no direct correlation, only peripheral correlation which cannot contradict the point. The only way it would contradict would be IF Al-Qaeda announced that they were going to blow up something in the US but chose a train in Spain instead.
However, if Al Qaeda had strong roots in America rather than Europe and the ME, it would be a very strong point. Our greatest defence is our lack of proximity to the terrorists, and that is no small point.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #167 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
hmmmmm.

Now where have we heard that (highlighted) phrase before? Let me see..........oh, yes here it is:

from: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2017617-post1495.html

from: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2016678-post1483.html

from: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/1968840-post70.html

OK, granted, you tried to fool us there by substituting "Afganistan" for "Iraq" and throwing in the superfluous adjective "dysfunctional". But, admitedly, it's basically the same sentence repeated over and over and over again. Here and there you interchange the "attacking" and "invading" part to keep us on our toes.

It must really be nice to be a far left wing wacko. Requires no independent thinking at all. All you have to do is to memorize a few catch phrases and make some word substitutions every now and then like "Afganistan", "Iran", "Iraq" etc. and people will be fooled into thinking that they are actually carrying on a conversation with intelligent life on the other side.
Just wait until we add Iran and Syria. With "find and replace" it really is easy for us liberals to just knock this stuff out. Bushy makes it so easy. Find a bad guy, avoid "real diplomacy” and world support, like the kind that kept Libya in check with minimal military input. calmed the Red Brigade, the IRA and other regional terrorist groups. Skip that slow old UN, our friends in the EU and just start giving ultimatums and then a final deadline, then another one, and a third, then start blowing the shit out of them.

Rummy will develop a battle plan that will cost only $15-20Billion tops and take only 45-90 days on the ground. After that we will be in a six month support role and out of there. His plans are absolutely flawless and consistent. They have worked the same every time.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #168 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
"...nothing to show for it"??? What planet are you living on?????????????
Zillions of POPPY seeds. Heroin on the streets for the next 5 years.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #169 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I think the point is that all you guys operate out of the same playbook/talking points! Outside of a few dozen words, you all just keep saying the same thing--over and over and over again. It gets boring. And it is a valid point! IMO
It's our new Strategery

McBear,
Kentucky

post #170 of 218 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Just like the United States of America was "...in a state of devolving quagmire" five years after we became a new nation! Get w/ the program, please.
Yes, But remember WE the People were building our own nation from a cultural and religious foundation that was familiar and fought for by our own people. We were NOT invaded by a culture and forced to develop a government that was totally alien to our thousands of year old customs and religions. We were not given a “blueprint” of how to form that government and how to make former warring tribes just fall into place and smile for the cameras.

Does that help explain the difference between “democratic growing pains” and quagmire?

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in