Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Why eat the rich?

Why eat the rich?
The latest in my on-going series of insightful, thought-provoking threads.

It's interesting to me (it always has been) that there exists such heated animosity among the middle-class toward the upper class. Mainly because I've never shared in it...my aspirations are to become somewhat firmly entrenched into the upper class of American society (financially speaking). Unfortunately, the best I can hope for is some type of nouveau riche status since I've basically no birthright or inheritance to speak of.

Even though I'm in the middle class, I don't have problems with laws that ease the tax burden on the richest among us. Why? Simply put, rich people don't put their money under the mattress - they put it into the economy in some form or another, so that it does their earning for them. I want to be in that tax bracket one day, so I'm in favor of removing disincentives to the aquisition of wealth.

However, this morning, my wife was watching a taped episode of Oprah (.....) that included Robert Rubin and one of the Johnson & Johnson heirs, discussing the differences in class.

The Johnson & Johnson heir is an aspiring filmmaker, and has been irritating his family by questioning the use of trusts, etc. to perpetuate wealth acquired over 100 years ago. Some of the questions he asks his family (paraphrasing) are quite interesting - "Don't you think it's wrong to have this much money without having to do anything for it?" He speaks to one of his family's financial advisers about the topic of trusts, who develops a headache right on camera and says things like "why would you want to upset the apple cart"? Seemingly, he has struck a nerve.

So to whom is the anger directed? Which "rich", exactly, are to be eaten? What are the behaviors or characteristics that cause the non-rich to develop a loathing for the wealthiest Americans?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jealousy of material objects (Mbs over Fords), nicer housing, free time. The poor will always be envious of the wealthy.

Can someone have too much money? NEVER! These people deserve their riches and they stand as incentives and models of the capitalist system of what can be achieved through this system. People shouldn't be envious of the successful. Most of these people developed their ideas and gambled on success, starting small and growing. Playing it SAFE in business never made ANYONE a millionaire.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: