DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
Not really. Muslim countries are raking it in on oil profits (its just the people who are poor) and there's no nationalism or militarism. Germans were driven by national pride, not religion and they building a war machine and scapegoating a race. Radical muslims are driven by religion with no allegiance to any particular nation and they are not building an army and they are scapegoating a culture rather than a race.
Very different IMO. Applying the WWII model to this conflict is a recipe for disaster.
Excellent write up, I think you hit the nail dead on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
(its just the people who are poor)...
...[Germans were] building a war machine and scapegoating a race. Radical muslims are driven by religion with no allegiance to any particular nation and they are not building an army and they are scapegoating a culture...
I think, as you may have unwittingly pointed out, that the important points are remarkably similary despite 60 years of global developments.

A "mass of people" are being driven toward an ultimate goal eerily similar but far broader than the one Hitler envisioned, using their despair as a fuel. Radical Islam has been the replacement for nationalism as the uniting tenet, and militarism (uniforms) have been shed because they makes it easier for us to find and kill them.

The proposed reward - heaven on earth - is far more noble than the simple extermination of a given race or return of a country's pride. This is Hitleresque genocide on a global scale...it's almost the inverse of what Hitler envisioned, meaning the "enemy" goes from being a very narrow slice of the pie, to the whole pie itself.

It's not like the rest of the world is a fringe culture in the minority, acting as a thorn in Islam's side. You can't scapegoat the offending culture without taking on the world, because the offending culture is virtually everything outside of the middle east.

You can't apply WWII remedies or tactics to this situation, because of other things, their lack of confinement to national boundaries and absence of a regular military. What you can learn, however, is that threats like this don't go away by themselves - they just get worse. MILLIONS of people died at the German's hands without the use of a single weapon of mass destruction other than a gas chamber.

How I long for the days where CIA spooks with REALLY accurate high-power rifles wandered freely, silently, ensuring weeds like this were nipped in the bud.

Where's Martin Blank when you need him?

post #83 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '01 C320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
You can't apply WWII remedies or tactics to this situation, because of other things, their lack of confinement to national boundaries and absence of a regular military. What you can learn, however, is that threats like this don't go away by themselves - they just get worse. MILLIONS of people died at the German's hands without the use of a single weapon of mass destruction other than a gas chamber.

How I long for the days where CIA spooks with REALLY accurate high-power rifles wandered freely, silently, ensuring weeds like this were nipped in the bud.
As do I. I think this is actually a good starting point for a reasoned debate on what needs to be done. I think both "traditional" political viewpoints can agree that we have an issue on our hands that will not just "go away." Where the radical disagreement lies is in how to address it.
The Afghanistan effort was designed by the CIA and was very successful and managed to accomplish our desired ends without putting a lot of our troops on the ground to act as targets. The Iraq effort was designed by the Pentagon and managed to accomplish a lot of things we didn't want while putting boatloads of our people on the ground to become targets.

We've now seen the results of both of these approaches and any honest appraisal finds one desirable and one desperately wanting improvement. Anger on the left is not driven by hatred of Bush, it is driven by an honest appraisal of the efficacy of the tactics that are being used, the misuse of our best and finest, the erosion of our influence overseas and our inability to react to other more pressing threats around the globe, all the while hearing "stay the course" while noone is held accountable for any of the poor decisions that I think we can agree have been made.

Stay the course??? I think we know where this course has led us so far, why on earth would we want to stay on it?

I know of noone who does not wish to fight the terrorists, they just want to do it smarter. Work smarter not harder. I hear Bush talking about how hard things are... they don't have to be.

Last edited by That Guy; 09-05-2006 at 03:09 PM.
post #84 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
As do I. I think this is actually a good starting point for a reasoned debate on what needs to be done.
I think the administration from "Clear and Present Danger", minus the pesky Jack Ryan, could have this knocked out in nothing flat.
post #85 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
...... Muslims may be a few hundred years behind, but they're definitely on the same path. .....

Well it certainly is reassuring to know that we only have to put up with muslim terrorism for a few hundred more years.
post #86 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I smell shit and see a fly.
You've been eating your own cooking? Mon Dieu!

I don't worry about Muslim extremists...

I have faith in Tom Cruise, John Travolta and R.L. Hubbard!

Last edited by 67_250SE; 09-05-2006 at 05:36 PM.
post #87 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
I might have guessed that in order to take a kick at Gaysquawk's arse I would have to extract your tongue first.
You clearly also have a problem with comprehension.
You speak American? Grow up.
Your lack of intelligence shows no bounds ...FOOL.... Clearly you are the one that can't understand the language, and you are the one that wrote it..sad indeed.
I make a clear, simple statement, and you come back with a sexual slur. It doesn't show that you have much brain power does it? Try reading what you wrote with an unjaundiced eye, see what you come up with.
By the way, from what I hear about London, YOU would be the one more likely to have his tongue up someone else's butt.......

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #88 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
"Your lack of intelligence shows no bounds" it's ' knows no bounds ' as your lack of intelligence shows .
post #89 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
"Your lack of intelligence shows no bounds" it's ' knows no bounds ' as your lack of intelligence shows .
You write it your way, and I'll write it mine, the idea got across didn't it? It would behoove you mind your own business since I wasn't talking to you, you dim bulb...

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #90 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: '01 C320
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
It would behoove you mind your own business since I wasn't talking to you, you dim bulb...
It would behoove you TO mind your own business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in