LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
The US, having apx. 5% of the Worlds population, spends as much on the military as the rest of the World combined. Yet it's the only 1th World industrialized Country without a national health plan. Does that sound right?
And education system apparently - that would be "1st" as in "first" not "fith"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
The US, having apx. 5% of the Worlds population, spends as much on the military as the rest of the World combined. Yet it's the only 1th World industrialized Country without a national health plan. Does that sound right?
Yes, frankly, it does. Socialized medicine doesn't work worth a damn, because there's no incentive for smart people to churn their lives away in medical school without a free market in which to leverage their skills.

Just as a news flash, socialized ANYTHING doesn't work worth a damn...might want to research that a bit. You'll find that there were some big countries that tried it...some gave it up, others have been perpetual underachievers ever since.

National pride doesn't put food on the table.
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Yes, frankly, it does. Socialized medicine doesn't work worth a damn, because there's no incentive for smart people to churn their lives away in medical school without a free market in which to leverage their skills.

Just as a news flash, socialized ANYTHING doesn't work worth a damn...might want to research that a bit. You'll find that there were some big countries that tried it...some gave it up, others have been perpetual underachievers ever since.

National pride doesn't put food on the table.
Socialized medicine may not work but neither does a third world infant mortality rate. Seems amazing that the Right seems hell bent on protecting the life of an egg that got surprised by a lucky sperm but will totally ignore a full term child who happens to not have parents lucky enough to be able to afford health insurance. That is just BRAIN DEAD THINKING.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Socialized medicine may not work but neither does a third world infant mortality rate. Seems amazing that the Right seems hell bent on protecting the life of an egg that got surprised by a lucky sperm but will totally ignore a full term child who happens to not have parents lucky enough to be able to afford health insurance. That is just BRAIN DEAD THINKING.
BRAIN DEAD THINKING is having a child when you've no means to support it.

Fortunately, the U.S. is loaded with hospitals that provide indigent care. In fact, I think, you can't deny treatment to someone in an emergency just because they don't have health coverage.

It really is very difficult to die of illnesses in this country on accident. You have to be either tragically unfortunate or tragically negligent.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I don't find anything "libertarian" about the viewpoint that "society is only as good as it treats the poorest among us". That is the siren song of bleeding heart liberalism.
I got thinking about this a bit more today. "Society is only as good as it treats those that have the least among us". While it has been taken up by liberals as a cause and goal, that philosophy is THE most basic foundation tenant of Christianity and of most all Western [and Eastern] religions. It should be the mantra of every civilized person on Earth.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

Fortunately, the U.S. is loaded with hospitals that provide indigent care. In fact, I think, you can't deny treatment to someone in an emergency just because they don't have health coverage.

It really is very difficult to die of illnesses in this country on accident. You have to be either tragically unfortunate or tragically negligent.
Having a child was an example. Having cancer is another, or dieing, or a car wreck, or a plane crash, or a very bad cold.

So let me rephrase.

Socialized medicine may not work but neither does a third world infant mortality rate. Seems amazing that the Right seems hell bent on protecting the life of an egg that got surprised by a lucky sperm but will totally ignore a child who happens to not have parents lucky enough to be able to afford health insurance after the child is born with kidney and liver cancer from mercury deposits in the water table from mining runoff. That is just BRAIN DEAD THINKING.

As for the the hospitals that provide indigent care, yes they exist, however, even they do not provide FULL care, requiring parents to have bake sales, fund raisers, pleading, begging and everything else to try and save their child's life. Indigent care is usually not the same as with insurance. Also, indigent care facilities fall somewhere near socialized medicine which, as you say, tend not to work in their current model.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
If you have daughters, I hope you have good luck in keeping the young men away starting about age 14 when they come sniffing around. They keep coming around and asking and asking until she wears down and says yes. Hopefully you talked to her about birth control so the little swimmers can't find the egg. If not, you need to understand that planning, sex, support, future, and responsibility do not necessarily have a conference call before the panties hit the floor. And all the best "don't have sex" talks you may have had before that point don't mean anything when the hormone fairy hits.

The lack of logic when it comes to sex and responsibility does not end when both parties say "I do".

If you have sons, you need to tell them to try to think with the big head and remind them of the consiquencies of the above paragraph.

Hopefully, and I trully mean it, you won't have to deal with this but the odds are not in your favor.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
If you have daughters, I hope you have good luck in keeping the young men away starting about age 14 when they come sniffing around. They keep coming around and asking and asking until she wears down and says yes. Hopefully you talked to her about birth control so the little swimmers can't find the egg. If not, you need to understand that planning, sex, support, future, and responsibility do not necessarily have a conference call before the panties hit the floor. And all the best "don't have sex" talks you may have had before that point don't mean anything when the hormone fairy hits.

The lack of logic when it comes to sex and responsibility does not end when both parties say "I do".

If you have sons, you need to tell them to try to think with the big head and remind them of the consiquencies of the above paragraph.

Hopefully, and I trully mean it, you won't have to deal with this but the odds are not in your favor.
I'm definitely not man enough to have a daughter...perhaps I'd be more of a man if I did. Luckily I have only a son, and this discussion will be old hat well in advance of him needing to have it. He knows right from wrong, and is a thoughtful and conscientious kid. I think parents have the best chance of avoiding unwanted pregnancies with their kids by demystifying sex early on.

Ignorance is really the malady that causes so many of our society's toughest problems, despite the fact that it's the easiest thing to cure.
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I got thinking about this a bit more today. "Society is only as good as it treats those that have the least among us". While it has been taken up by liberals as a cause and goal, that philosophy is THE most basic foundation tenant of Christianity and of most all Western [and Eastern] religions. It should be the mantra of every civilized person on Earth.
The tenet isn't foreign to me, I just happen to disagree with it. That it's a tenet of religions worldwide, to me, only highlights the obsolescence of religion as a social mechanism. There is no reward - real or imagined - for bestowing decency and compassion on the undeserving; that is, those of us who "have the least among us" not due to misfortune, but as a direct or indirect result of the intentional carelessness of their actions.
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I'm definitely not man enough to have a daughter...perhaps I'd be more of a man if I did. Luckily I have only a son, and this discussion will be old hat well in advance of him needing to have it. He knows right from wrong, and is a thoughtful and conscientious kid. I think parents have the best chance of avoiding unwanted pregnancies with their kids by demystifying sex early on.

Ignorance is really the malady that causes so many of our society's toughest problems, despite the fact that it's the easiest thing to cure.
I would be terrified to have had a daughter because I know how I was, and I was an Eagle Scout. I knew right from wrong but the hormone fairy has very very strong influence. Then again, as we have talked about before, it was the Sixties.

Just tell your son: Use a condom you will learn, no deposit, no return.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in