post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Q: One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness.
In your dreams, Teut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
Here's a short tutorial, FTL, on logical analogies so that the next time you don't have to flunk your students due to your own ineptitude:

http://www.epcc.edu/faculty/joeo/sa_analogy.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bottom line is that if one says A is to B like C is to D one is comparing relationships and not implying as you have stated that A = C. It's called an analogy.

So when I say that having you teach a course on logic is like having Joseph Goebbels teach a course on ethics what I am implying is that neither of you is competent to teach your respective subjects.

And the funniest part is that you go right ahead and prove me right by claiming that I have, in effect, implied that you are like Goebbels when, in fact, the logical analogy make no such assumptions. The link I provided gives an example:

shoe is to foot as tire is to wheel

Using your reasoning one would conclude from this that this sentence implies that a shoe is a tire.

So you were wrong and are still wrong but lack the courage to admit it.

Last edited by baby boo; 08-29-2006 at 09:35 AM.
post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Bush White House to be subpoenaed by wiretap lawyers

RAW STORY
Published: Tuesday August 29, 2006

Two attorneys representing claimants in a lawsuit over wiretapping by the National Security Agency will subpoena the White House today, RAW STORY has learned.

Bruce Afran and Carl Mayer, who represent hundreds of plaintiffs in lawsuits against Verizon, AT&T, and the US Government, will announnce today that they are serving both the Bush administration and Verizon with subpoenas.

The announcement is due to arrive at 4:30 PM, outside of Verizon headquarters in New York, RAW STORY has confirmed.

The subpoenas come on the heels of two federal court decisions that were seen as blows to the Bush Administration warrantless spying program.

Earlier this month, federal judge Anna Diggs Taylor ruled the entire program unconstitutional and illegal; another federal judge in San Francisco rejected the Bush Administration's attempt to dismiss these lawsuits by claiming they breach national security.

Mayer explained that the subpoena seeks to learn "whether the Bush administration has unlawfully targeted journalists, peace activists, libertarians, members of congress or generated an 'enemies list.'"

Afran told RAW STORY he expected the White House to again claim that the state secrets doctrine forbade it from answering the subpoena, but called the claim "Absolute nonsense."

"That's an invitation for presidents to write their own rules and we've had judges multiple times say that state secrets is not a defense," he explained, adding, "We hope the White House will realize the need to cooperate."

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
[quote=FeelTheLove]You certainly wouldn't pass any logic course I taught. [quote]

Please say that you were just kidding about teaching.

I weep for America's youth.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you are going to come back with some sort of silly putty argument about how America's youth is in greater peril under the Bush administration.

Blah...blah...blah...

Nevertherless, if people with your political myopia and narrow focus are an example of who is teaching today's youth, we are all in deep s**t.
post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
I guess that outburst was supposed to give us an example of what a "real intellectual argument" sounds like......
Good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in