Fighters escort US plane back to Amsterdam's Schiphol - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fighters escort US plane back to Amsterdam's Schiphol

Amsterdam - Two Dutch F-16 fighters escorted a commercial airliner of US carrier Northwest Airlines back to Amsterdam's Schiphol airport after the captain decided to turn the aircraft round shortly before noon Wednesday.

Northwest Airlines said that a number of the 149 passengers aboard had been acting suspiciously, leading the pilot to contact air control officials while over Germany and to request return to Schiphol.

An airport security spokesman said a number of passengers had been taken off the aircraft and were being questioned.

'We went aboard immediately the flight landed. We are questioning passengers and crew,' the spokesman told national public radio.

'We are still finding out what the reason for the captain's decision was,' he added.

The aircraft, a DC-10 with flight number NW0042, was on route from Schiphol to Mumbai in India.

Airport security said the national terrorism coordinator, Tjibbe Joustra, had been informed.

Joustra's spokesman said no additional security precautions had been ordered for the present.

Northwest said passengers aboard the flight were being accommodated in hotels near Schiphol with a view to flying them to Mumbai Thursday.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Amsterdam - Two Dutch F-16 fighters escorted a commercial airliner of US carrier Northwest Airlines back to Amsterdam's Schiphol airport after the captain decided to turn the aircraft round shortly before noon Wednesday.

Northwest Airlines said that a number of the 149 passengers aboard had been acting suspiciously, leading the pilot to contact air control officials while over Germany and to request return to Schiphol.

An airport security spokesman said a number of passengers had been taken off the aircraft and were being questioned.

'We went aboard immediately the flight landed. We are questioning passengers and crew,' the spokesman told national public radio.

'We are still finding out what the reason for the captain's decision was,' he added.

The aircraft, a DC-10 with flight number NW0042, was on route from Schiphol to Mumbai in India.

Airport security said the national terrorism coordinator, Tjibbe Joustra, had been informed.

Joustra's spokesman said no additional security precautions had been ordered for the present.

Northwest said passengers aboard the flight were being accommodated in hotels near Schiphol with a view to flying them to Mumbai Thursday.
I am speculating, but this calls to mind this incident:

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0510260833.asp

Imagine the "terror" you could create...the economic havoc you could wreak...by simply acting very suspicious while "looking Muslim".

You might not have to even break the law, let alone sacrifice your life. In fact you could do it again and again and again.

Flights turn around. People freaking out and refusing to fly...suing the airlines...

What thinks you, Star?
DaveN007 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I don't know -- I just thought it was a really wierd story, and I'm waiting for more information. You're right though, people could easily create panic by donning a particular look and just acting wierd. I'm leaning more and more toward the 'roofies for everyone' solution to flying.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I heard they arrested 12 people who were traveling together and in mid-flight they broke out cell phones and other banned items and totally freaked out the crew. Sounds like people who actually wanted to bring the flight down but not blow it up. Maybe it's a new kind of terrorism or maybe they were just wacked in some way... The people appeared to be of "south-Asian" origin.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I'm leaning more and more toward the 'roofies for everyone' solution to flying.
A co-worker was flying back from Australia and took "something to help him sleep" that a denitist friend of his in Australia had given to him.

He woke up in a pool of drool when the flight attendent shook him awake on the ground in LA.

A call to his friend revealed that it was, in fact, flunitrazepam. Rohypnol.

Hilarious.
DaveN007 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jeez -- was that supposed to be some bizarre practical joke?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:08 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Somebody must have shouted that he's going to Bombay or something.
DP is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
I am speculating, but this calls to mind this incident:

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0510260833.asp

Imagine the "terror" you could create...the economic havoc you could wreak...by simply acting very suspicious while "looking Muslim".

You might not have to even break the law, let alone sacrifice your life. In fact you could do it again and again and again.

Flights turn around. People freaking out and refusing to fly...suing the airlines...

What thinks you, Star?
Here is a good example of profiling: http://raedinthemiddle.blogspot.com/...m-mideast.html

Quote:
He asked me if I had any other T-shirts to put on, and I told him that I had checked in all of my bags and I asked him "why do you want me to take off my t-shirt? Isn't it my constitutional right to express myself in this way?" The second man in a greenish suit interfered and said "people here in the US don't understand these things about constitutional rights".
DP is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Here is a good example of profiling: http://raedinthemiddle.blogspot.com/...m-mideast.html
Profiling?

Yes. They quickly realized he was a juvenile dumbass.

You don't have the "constitutional right" to BE IN AN AIRPORT.

Nor do you have the right to wear whatever you like on an airplane. In fact, they have dress codes. Back in the days of printed tickets, it was written right on the back.

"Persons whose conduct is or has been known to be disorderly, abusive, offensive,
threatening, intimidating, or violent, or whose clothing is lewd, obscene, or patently
offensive; " (from Soutwest airlines carriage contract)

This idiot got his desired result.

If he has the "right" to wear the provocative shirt, then I have the "right" to tell the airline that I "feel" he poses a terrorist threat.
DaveN007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    X-48 Red Eagle Navy Plane Can Dive Under Water firstmb Off-Topic 2 01-02-2006 01:44 PM
    Cat gets plane to itself firstmb Off-Topic 0 11-07-2005 07:32 PM
    The 'myth' of Iraq's foreign fighters GeeS Off-Topic 4 09-24-2005 05:24 PM
    hardwire escort 8500 gkong W163 M-Class 22 09-03-2003 04:41 AM
    R&B Artists aliyah died in a plane crash RaVer R170 SLK-Class 1 08-26-2001 05:28 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome