Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TK, I'll have bacon double foie gras burger

August 23, 2006

Defying Law, a Foie Gras Feast in Chicago

By MONICA DAVEY

CHICAGO, Aug. 22 — On Tuesday, this city’s lawbreakers were serving foie gras.
The illicit substance could be spotted in places it was rarely seen when it was legal: buried in Chicago’s famed deep-dish pizza, in soul food on the South Side, beside beef downtown.
In one of the more unlikely (and opulent) demonstrations of civil disobedience, a handful of restaurants here that never carry foie gras, the fattened livers of ducks and geese, featured it on the very day that Chicago became the first city in the nation to outlaw sale of the delicacy.
“This ban is embarrassing Chicago,” said Grant DePorter of Harry Caray’s Restaurant, which dreamed up an appetizer of pan-seared foie gras and scallops ($14.95) and a Vesuvio-style entree pairing foie gras and tenderloin ($33.95) just to buck the new ordinance. “We really don’t think the City Council should decide what Chicagoans eat. What’s next? Some other city outlaws brussels sprouts? Another outlaws chicken? Another, green beans?”
While Illinois restaurant officials, who say 46,000 pounds of foie gras was sold here last year, filed a lawsuit on Tuesday over the city’s ban, those serving foie gras on Tuesday afternoon said they were unsure, and mostly indifferent, about how law enforcement might punish them for their one-day protest.
As it turned out, the city did nothing — even in one South Side restaurant where the owner reported seeing a table of Chicago police officers at lunch. Tim Hadac, a spokesman for the Chicago Department of Public Health, which, unlike the Police Department, is responsible for enforcing the ban, said that although the ordinance went into effect on Tuesday, the city would begin enforcement on Wednesday.
“The city gave them a day of fun, but tomorrow we’ll see what happens,” said Joe Moore, the alderman who proposed the ban, adding that the method by which foie gras is produced — force feeding ducks and geese through a pipe inserted into their throats — is clearly animal cruelty.
Even after Tuesday, though, the possibility of foie gras raids appears remote. City officials will respond to citizen complaints, Mr. Hadac said, first sending a warning letter to restaurants, then demanding a fine — from $250 to $500 — for second offenses.
But Jerry Stout, a lunchtime diner at Connie’s Pizza, said city leaders should have more pressing matters to worry about than fattened duck liver. Hardly a foie gras connoisseur — he could not remember whether he had ever tasted it before — Mr. Stout, 54, tried it on his pizza and said he would recommend it because of its mild flavor. “I guess we were rebels today,” he said.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good for them! I absolutely love foie gras, but don't consume it very often because it is so rich and so bad for you.

There's a restaurant in St. Louis called "Harvest" that has a foie gras appetizer where the liver is seared on both sides and served nearly rare (like ahi tuna). Most foie gras is a "pressmeat", where Harvest serves you the unadulterated meat. If they cooked it longer, it would basically melt into nothing but grease (a la bacon). Comes with toast points and a sauce that is reminiscent of maple syrup. It's almost worth a trip to STL just to eat there.

http://www.harveststlouis.com/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
People who eat that shit should be stuffed with it until their livers explode.

Chicago always seems to be banning something. This time they have gone to far. I hear the Capone Family is coming out of retirement.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:06 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The ban is absolutely ludicrous and nobody except a few bleeding heart weenies will cave into it. The only reason the law went this far is because of backing by Charlie Trotter who carries a lot of weight around here. He's a great guy who despite being initially labeled a charlatan by the classic Euro chefs has won every bodies admiration.
I don't particularly like the process in which it's procured but, HOT DAMN!! it's good.
I prefer it in its terrine form as opposed to pan-seared. Leo Waldmier, Executive Chef of the Drake Hotel makes the very best of this type that I have ever eaten. Just the right amount of cognac. It literally melts in your mouth like a Hershey's bar that's been sitting on your dashboard while you sat through four innings of a Cubs game.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Another attempt at legislating morality or a conscience.

Besides, there was a time when birds ruled the earth. Mammals were shown no pity by them! I say we kill more birds! Foul, fowl bastards!

You know, if Merck or Eli Lilly could formulate some type of hormone that would artificially fatten goose livers, we'd see the law repealed in a second.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
It's one of those laws like "No spanking of Indian elephants with an O-cedar mop handle between 6 & 8pm on Tuesdays" kind of laws. Even the mayor, a no nonsence, meat & potaytuhs' kinda guy thought it was silly.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD
Another attempt at legislating morality or a conscience.

Besides, there was a time when birds ruled the earth. Mammals were shown no pity by them! I say we kill more birds! Foul, fowl bastards!

You know, if Merck or Eli Lilly could formulate some type of hormone that would artificially fatten goose livers, we'd see the law repealed in a second.
Damn right. They even shit on Mercedes. If the didn't, I'd give them a pass, but they have no taste, no discrimination. Go shit on a Lexus you fowl bitch. Die, die all of you.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
quote:

"I talked to a duck once, it said "please engorge me so my liver grows so I can produce a perfect Foie Gras"... who am I to disagree?"

And Governator says we have until 2012 to eat all the foie gras we can..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
We had to apologize to the "Indians" (native Americans), Japanese, Africans, Mexicans, WOMEN, and now the frickin' geese get a pass. Where does it end?

Doesn't pay to be a white guy on top of the food chain anymore I suppose..."Sorry that everything lets me dominate it...my bad."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member

I can't tell if he's laughing or gargling choad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in